Started by Atelier, Tue 31/08/2010 22:13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'The Bad Guy'
This month's guidelines were set by tzachs:

The hero doesn't have to be "evil", but he/she needs to at least
have some form of low morals (for example, in the Chzo games
Trilby was a burglar). And for bonus points (to honor the previous
host Dualnames): a towel as an inventory item...

Good luck to all participants.
Ending 30/9/2010

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Note: I trust the smarter thread is to everybody's satisfaction.
Note 2: Thank you once again to Dualnames, who proved an enormous help throughout my inauguration =D

Dualnames

Wow, you've made the cutting edge! It looks so friendly!! :D
Very well done!

Well, my exams finish around mid September, but I will definitely attempt entry. I think this looks incredibly fantastic. And I mean it. Well done. Getting rid of all that text, and just keeping the interesting bits, is way to go! ;)

I just love love love love it!
Also tzachs, a towel as an inventory item? You tease! ;)

Oh, and:
MAZEL TOV!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ryan Timothy B

Excellent new posting method for the MAGS challenge and what-is info. It gets to the point right away, which is the theme challenge.
Good work and good luck with hosting.

Atelier

Thanks everybody. I guess I'm just lucky to be on such a great forum =3

GarageGothic

*ponders whether a Towelie fan-game would meet the bonus point requirement*

tzachs

Hmmm, Towelie? I'm not sure about that.
Wait a minute. Let me get high and then I'll know.

Guaranteed win!  :D

Atelier

Time has eaten roughly half way through MAGS now.
Has anybody been inclined to enter, or indeed has anybody started something?

Dualnames

I will be aware of my intentions on monday. High chances are that I have something. :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

mode7

Hey everyone,
i know it seems odd to make such an announcement with the first post, but I'm planing to release something for this competition. I think the mags competition is a good way for me to meet a deadline.
I've been working on my project for a week now and I think chances are good that I will make it.
Though coding some of the things might give me a hard time.

I don't know if it makes sense to post some preview information as it's only a months time. But expect something different, yet a 100% pure adventure game - and yes it will be short and quite easy.

I hope it's ok if I join the mags competition with my first game as I can assure you: quality will be ok.

mode7

EDIT: One more question: Would it be ok to get help from someone, e.g. for the music or do I have to do everything myself.

Atelier

Hi mode, glad to know I managed to recruit fresh meat =D. It's also great to hear about your entry, I'm certainly looking forward to it.

You may get help with something like music, as this is generally (dare I say always?) the most time-consuming*. Help could of course be internal or external to the forums. As long as you create the majority of your entry, you're fine.

*Except if you're Calin, of course =p
But I suppose it depends whether you're using pre-made loops, or whether you actually play all the instruments yourself.
I only learnt to play a recorder at school =(. Yet I'm not terrible with a harmonica.

Calin Leafshade

I actually find music to be one of the quickest things to do.

All the music in Eternally Us took a few hours.

mode7

Yeah I guess! If you know anything about music. I'm more of the visual type. Who knows. I might even find someone on this board to help me with the music.

Chicky

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 11/09/2010 20:39:48
I actually find music to be one of the quickest things to do.

All the music in Eternally Us took a few hours.

Art takes the longest in my experience, ey ey ey Steve, ey ey!  := := :=

Dualnames

Quote from: mode7 on Sat 11/09/2010 20:17:57
One more question: Would it be ok to get help from someone, e.g. for the music or do I have to do everything myself.

To quote AtelierGames, that you probably missed. Or misinterpreted. That happens no worries.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days.

I would love to give it a shot with the music, though I'm actually planning on joining against you tomorrow.  :D
As for Calin, its fairly known he created his music in 2 hours. Cause he ripped it from me. Yeah!

Not really, that's a lie.

LUniqueDan

"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Atelier

One week left and three confirmed entries, hurray! How are they shaping up?

mode7

Graphics and animation about 90%
Most of the custom coding is done but a lot of scripting is still missing.
Sound effects and music are still missing completely
And menu design is also down on the priority list.

I feel I can make it but it's going to be a hell of a ride - actually it has been all along. But the experience I gained is of great value.

LUniqueDan

3days left. I'm going to make it.

The game is actually functionnal- it just needs a lot of graphical tweaking and a good job of spellchecking.

Good luck All!

EDIT: Where is the 3rd one?
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Atelier

Cool, great news both of you. Dualnames hinted at entering (twice) but has started nothing :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk