Background Blitz - Voting concluded

Started by loominous, Thu 09/09/2010 13:06:50

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

Looking for a writer

Sughly

Gah! Awesome idea, but I'm so slow that doing something with detail will take me forever  :P

I'll hopefully get something in though...

Virgil

Ooh, fun. Did you do that pic loominous?

loominous

Quote from: Virgil on Fri 10/09/2010 22:24:16
Ooh, fun. Did you do that pic loominous?

I wish, but it's from Disney's Treasure Planet.
Looking for a writer

Chicky

loominous tops Treasure Planet, lets be honest.

Pinback

My airship harbour-

*320 x 240

*256 colours

*Cheesy lens flare

EDIT) Changed a few details that were annoying me.

EDIT) Replaced lens flare with sun

Sughly

Just...wow, Pinback. I'm very, very impressed... it would be a veeeeery long shot of the scene, but still. Very nice...

Pinback

Quote from: Sughly on Mon 13/09/2010 02:27:26
Just...wow, Pinback. I'm very, very impressed... it would be a veeeeery long shot of the scene, but still. Very nice...

Thanks man:) And yeah, a long walk to the harbour master's shack indeed!

loominous

Looks great! With the risk of stepping out of line, would you consider making a lens flare free version? The image has such great potential, and what feels like photoshop trickery kinda sullies it, and clashes with the beautiful handcrafted feel of the rest. The gradient could be replaced by a cloudscape that achieves the same tones, and adds some additional depth and interest.

Just a thought.
Looking for a writer

Wonkyth

Or you could change it to a night scene.
Lovely picture, Pinback, When do we get to see some games?  :D
(unless of course you've already done that and I missed it  :( )
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

tzachs

Wonkyth

Pinback

Quote from: loominous on Mon 13/09/2010 11:42:36
Looks great! With the risk of stepping out of line, would you consider making a lens flare free version? The image has such great potential, and what feels like photoshop trickery kinda sullies it, and clashes with the beautiful handcrafted feel of the rest. The gradient could be replaced by a cloudscape that achieves the same tones, and adds some additional depth and interest.

Just a thought.

Thanks Loominous, I swapped out the lens flare on your advice- not sure why I put it in there in the first place really, I never use cheap lens flare effects. Not sure how well the sun works, the placement isn't great - I may do another version when i get time.

In answer to Wonkyth's question, I'm working on a game at the moment with a handful of other AGS'ers actually, although I'm putting of announcment until it's at a beta stage.

Dualnames

I think I'm drooling. Can someone close my mouth for me? :o
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Wonkyth

As a kind of reassurance - if fans can reassure - the sun looks good, the colour is right and the placement adds to the twilight feel(curse that book, ruining my favourite words!).

Blue

I'm thinking of entering, but I have a question for the host: The picture must be AGS compatible, but does that mean that it has to look like it is playable, with walkable areas?

Babar

There are generally points given in the voting for usability, ease of comprehending exit points, etc, so I'd think that yeah, you'd usually be better off drawing a BG for normal gameplay, rather than a cutscene.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

loominous

Quote from: Blue on Tue 14/09/2010 19:13:32
The picture must be AGS compatible, but does that mean that it has to look like it is playable, with walkable areas?

Not quite sure what you mean, but if you want to make a first person game background, like Myst, then that's fine (makes the functionality category a bit confusing, but we'll work that out). But in any case, the background is supposed to be playable, in one way or another.
Looking for a writer

Matt Frith

Hey hey.  I liked the look of this topic so thought I would enter.  It took me a few sketches to find an idea I liked but I eventually came up with this...

I made a little animation as well! Yay!

Hope you like it!

P.S. Pinback: I love it!

Sughly

Holy crap... Tier that's amazing! Ok, not only am I too busy but I dare not pit myself against these two entries. Well done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk