A RainDog Story

Started by keekee71, Mon 13/09/2010 05:37:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Thesaya

That you did. Warn me that is.

Well, I am stuck again. I have
Spoiler
been to the island, found out I was tricked and went back to the harbour. I have been in the restaurant and talked to the bartender and the violin player.
[close]
What am I supposed to do now? I have no idea how to
Spoiler
find Bob
[close]

Tabata

Hi Thesaya,

when you came back from the island you
Spoiler
„lost“ your Cash, so it would be usefull to refill your wallet first.
[close]

Still no idea, what you could do? So what about to
Spoiler
redeem the Check?
Maybe you tried that earlier (but failed), so now is the right time to try it again at this place.
[close]

After this, you should find Ben easily.
Spoiler
Hey, no cheating before you tried it!  ;)
[close]

Still no luck?
Spoiler
Simply go back to restaurant, as they told you.
[close]

FinnFan

Great game.. but hard, so I'm stuck.

I just have "moved" the bum to the motel and I reckon that I should get the climbing straps to advance, but I can't. The man won't leave. What to do?

Also how to boil the water in the tin cup? ("handle would be too hot", when trying to do it)

I've already spent too much time trying everything (yeah, well maybe not everything because I'm stuck :)), help needed. Thanks!

Tabata

Wellcome FinnFan,

what do you normally do, not to burn your fingers on something which is getting hot? It's the same way here.

In the hotel there is needed more, than bringing the bum there.

You are right about the sign with the white letters. But you need more, than climbing up to fullfill this part of your job.

You also have to spoil the appetite of the guests (Did you see, what is served in the dining room?).

FinnFan

Hi Tabata, thanks for taking the time to answer.

In real world I would use almost any of the items I'm carrying in the game to boil the water without getting my fingers burnt.. but this is game world, I've tried, believe me. Please don't answer in riddles, thanks.

I believe that I know what to do after I get the straps and boil the water. How do I do those? Please, no riddles, like I said, I've used tons of hours already and if I'm not going to advance in the game, I must leave it, I don't have time to mess around with it forever (which is beginning to get irritating, while games should be enjoyed).. when I was a young kid, I had time (sometimes many months) to play Police Quest 1 and such games, but not anymore.

mahli

I'm stuck with Matilda in Mr. Blacks office.

So far I've got the following items:
wallet, guitar, gauzes, scissors, pick lock, subw. ticket, coins, car keys, empty bottle, pole straps, crows nest, members pass, mathildas photo, tin cup/cleaning cloth, remote control (but no batteries), envelope, cheque, petrol hose, white paint, beam, town map, token

I know how to peek in the office.
Painted the vacancy sign white.

a little help is appreciated

Tabata

Okay FinnFan,
let's do it the way, you want it:

Quote from: FinnFan on Mon 22/11/2010 17:58:47
Also how to boil the water in the tin cup? ("handle would be too hot", when trying to do it)
Spoiler
put the cleaning cltoh at the cup in inventory
[close]

Quote from: FinnFan on Mon 22/11/2010 17:58:47
I just have "moved" the bum to the motel and I reckon that I should get the climbing straps to advance, but I can't. The man won't leave. What to do?
Spoiler
Yes, you have to use the straps (on pole) to climb up to the sign
[close]

I'm not sure, that you can do better with this - but everyone, as he likes.

Hello mahli,

it's very helpfull to note, what you have in your inventory, so I will be able to reload a save-game and search the point, where you are.

I'll come back later for (hopefully) giving you a hint in the right direction.

Tabata

Hello mahli,

if you still have the token, then it seems to me, that you are still trying to solve the „motel-riddle“?

There are three things to do/manipulate over there to convince the owner for joining your band.

- what you did already 
Spoiler
is to manipulate the sign
[close]
- but have you 
Spoiler
send the bum to the motel? You need the token for this.
[close]
- what I'm not really sure about is 
Spoiler
did you manipulate the guest's dinner?
[close]

If I'm at the wrong part, please tell me a bit more about what you did at least and I'll try again.

FinnFan

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 23/11/2010 16:21:32
Spoiler
put the cleaning cltoh at the cup in inventory
[close]
I suspected this, this is the reason I asked no riddles. I've to ask: what
Spoiler
cleaning cloth
[close]
??? Where do I get that?

This game is very hard because of the pixel hunting needed. Also that "screen/location exits" are not "hotspotted" (It took me a visit here to know that I can go behind the bar and after then found the barber, etc... I was stuck for a long time because of that).. I hope the author sees these problems if he's going to make a new game (YES PLEASE!)

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 23/11/2010 16:21:32
Spoiler
Yes, you have to use the straps (on pole) to climb up to the sign
[close]
It seems that there is a misunderstanding here. I don't have them yet. I asked how to get them. I can't currently because there's a man reading a newspaper. How do I get them from the telephone pole? Distract the man somehow? How?

Thanks!

Tabata

You'll find the cleaning cloth
Spoiler
in the very first scene (in front of Toms house) - I recommend you to start searching for the the sign at the house on the left side and then go to the right with the cursor carefully.
[close]

The pole straps will be „avaliable“ after you did other things
Spoiler
Did you get your second job from Mrs. Irving and fullfill it? (getting the check from Mr. Jean)
[close]

Helping you would be much easier, if you tell a bit more, which chapter you are and what's in your inventory, because it's not only a tricky game including pixel-hunting - it's also a long one.  

I know very well, how frustrating it can be, not finding an item or to have overseen a sideway, but where would be the chalenge, if every game would be so easy? There is a way and even if there are things, that (in your oppinion) should have been done in an other way please don't forget, that this is the very first game from Romeo and all done by himself.

But, what ever you think about it, I think Romeo is interested in getting feedback about his game and I hope, he'll do another one (or more).

FinnFan

Ok, cloth found, it was really nicely blended into the background and easily missed. Thanks.

Check gotten and given to Irving some time ago. I don't actually remember which chapter I'm in.. third? (getting the drummer?)

The guy is standing next to the phone pole where the straps are. What do I have to do to that guy for him to leave and be able to pick up the straps? It's probably something easy but I'm just not getting it right.

I've not listed the inventory before this because it takes a while.. this would be much easier, or rather we wouldn't talk about it, if somebody would write a walkthrough. ;)

inventory: wallet, guitar, gauzes, map, scissors, lock pick, ticket, keys, coins, wine, pass, photo, remote control, batteries, hose, beam, cup w/ cloth, paint.

Thanks again!

Tabata

If I remember correctly, you should either have been arrested or have disconnected the telephone-line, when you have "convinced" Mr. Jean to issue the check.
Thereafter, the straps are supposed to be at the pole. The man was already gone with me when I went back there. But I don't remember, what I did in the meantime, sorry.

I must point out again and look for new play. Unfortunately, that has to wait until tomorrow, because here it is an hour later already and I have to go to work in a few hours. ::)

But I promise you, that I care about tomorrow and will then re-sign me.

Tabata

Hello FinnFan,

I just came home and beginn re-playing the third chapter now.

When I thought about this prob at work, I remembered, that it might be a still missing action, which is possible to do very much earlier. If so, I can't find it without re-playing the whole game, so I'd like to know, if you saw the post-it behind Mrs. Irwing.

It shows a possibility for Tom, to earn a little more money and might be „the key“ for getting this newspaper-reading man away, because you also need those straps to solve that task.
Spoiler
It's about to find the lost ring of your neighbor and getting a reward.
[close]

EDIT:

Yes, that should to the trick!

I had to go to chapter two until I found the man standing at the pole.
After reading
Spoiler
the post-it (and talking about it to Mrs. Irving) I went back to the pole
[close]
and the man was gone ...  :D

So you should be able to go on with the game, after doing this.

Good luck and have fun

Tabata

FinnFan

THAT'S IT!! What can I say? Thanks a million billion trillion GAZILLION for the help!! You're a really really special kind of human being for taking the time to re-play and help me, and others.

P.S. I have to say this (maybe the author reads this board), the music in the music shop is mesmerizing. Many times when I've traveled past it, I've popped in to the shop just for listening the tune for a while. :D

FinnFan

Aaaand finished. Nice game, good mood, story, characters, visually, but too many pixel hunts (the plane model is insanely hard to catch, even when knowing what to look, it's still hard to catch it!), and few location finding problems (no "hotspots" for screen exits). We want more! (without pixel hunts ;))

And at least one bug: in the beginning, if you use the branch in the fan, wait for the barber to open the window and then exit the scene and come back, the window is closed. It's a dead end. No new branch.

mahli

Thanks Tabata for your reply

Help!

I'm in the third part finding the guitar player.

I've:
Got the plane model and talked to the veteran
Talked with the guitar player by the restaurant and the fisherman.

Can't get the key from the harbour Subway clerk
Get gasoline for the plane
Get rid of the Pier oil inc. guard
Catch the crow (I dont see why I must)

Help appreciated

So far I've got the following items:
wallet, guitar, gauzes, scissors, pick lock, subw. ticket, coins, car keys, empty bottle, pole straps, crows nest, members pass, mathildas photo, tin cup/cleaning cloth, remote control , batteries, envelope, cheque, petrol hose, white paint, beam, town map, cart, coke bottle.

Tabata

@FinnFan:   
Congratulations! Maybe you want to vote that game or leave a comment for the users.
You can do it here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1350

There have been more, than 630 downloads, but no comments and not enough votes yet, to rate it. Since you are a member of the forum, you are allowed to do so.

@mahli:
I recommend you, first to look around in all of the harbour-scenes again much more carefully, because there are two items missing in your inventory, which you are already able, to pick up (for other/more items, you first need to go to other locations and/or act).

It seems to me, that you didn't talk to the fishing-boy on the pier already?

I'm a little irritated about the cart in your inventory, because if you got that, you should have some other items, too, but they are not listed.
I don't want to send you in the wrong direction, so: How did you get that cart (or did you simply forget to list some of your inventory-items?)

mahli

@Tabata:
Yes I did talk to the fishing boy (I meant him, not the fisherman hauling the enormous catch) on the pier. He had lost his fly or something.

I got the cart when I helped a old lady at the police station subway station. She gave
juicy-fruits, which I gave to a boy playing in front of Mrs. Irwings shop in  exchange for the cart.

My items:
wallet, guitar, gauzes, scissors, pick lock, subw. ticket, coins, car keys, empty bottle, pole straps, crows nest, members pass, mathildas photo, tin cup/cleaning cloth, remote control , batteries, envelope, cheque, petrol hose, white paint, beam, town map, cart, coke bottle.

Oh yes I forgot:
screwdriver, Pier Oil key, fishing net, lobster cage.

I've tried to catch the crow by throwing the net at it. Scared it off Tom's burnt house by whacking the house with the beam.

Tabata

@mahli:
You also should have a magnifying glass.  ??? You found that in
Spoiler
Mr. Black's office and got it back from the old lady (she can't read the map, you gave her without it).
[close]
It's not necessary for crow-catching, but you need it for taking a look at some items.

Okay, then let's catch the crow now.
Did you already read the hints about it in this thread?

You couldn't get it after scaring, so you may think about the opposite way...
â€" how to make it trust you?

Let's do it in little steps (maybe, you don't need all of them):
hint
Spoiler
the power of music
[close]

next hint
Spoiler
remember special abilitys of tom
[close]

next hint
Spoiler
you need using guitar and fishing net and â€" the most tricky of all: a place near the crow to play
[close]

last hint
Spoiler
if you are standing „in the house“ (right side of the sign you can do one step „inside“), Tom isn't on the street anymore
[close]
You will know, why catching this little (poor) thing is nessecary for you, after you did (and don't forget to look at it) ;)

another task:
Did you talk to the guard and have you been in the storage-sheet (near the sleeping clerk) after that talk? There you will get an item to help you make him move away.

another task:
You have to wake up the sleeping clerk  (but there are still some more items missing in your inventory for that, so I'll recommend you to start with the missing item (my first sentence) , after that catch the crow and go on with the guard and the clerk).

puh ~ done

mahli

Thank you Tabata!

Spoiler

I would have never found that crevis in front by Tom's house
[close]

Now I managed to finish the game.

Romeo:
Here are some comments on the game

Spoiler

Seem's there's a bug in the flight sequence. Sometimes the plane gets stuck in the storm clouds, in particular the one on the top in the lower left screen (where the island is). You cant see the plane after that and the text "I can't fly there, not enough gasoline (funny, I filled it with oil)" keeps coming up.

Wasn't the wallet empty after paying the lighthouse keeper. Cashing the check gave fifty. After buying the mute there's 40 $ in the wallet. Matilda gave just a hundred dollars and I  still managed to buy the guitar?

What about the tune at the 'Good times' pub. I thought it sounded classical?

When on top of mr Blacks offices roofing by the window using (hand pointer) the truck leads the screen rolling slowly to the left and then to the normal truck driving routine.
Shouldn't Tom first climb down and then he can take truck?

The end is rather arrupt.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk