Adventures of Fatman: different versions

Started by arj0n, Tue 21/09/2010 15:52:56

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

Which versions exist of the game The Adventures of Fatman?

*I do have a copy [58.8Mb] with manual. [dating 2003-05]. I think it's the full version with no speech...
This version seems to be released under the freely distributed Creative Commons license.
So does that mean that this version freeware?

*here is the commercial one in the database.
I guess that one has speech. Is this version available as freeware too?

*Then there is also a remastered special edition re-release.
I guess this version is not freeware?

Are there more versions?
Are there demo's around?

Can someone clear this up for me please?

Peder 🚀

It seems right about the 3 versions.
If any of them actually are freeware or not I have no idea.
BUT the special edition is definatly NOT freeware.
Don't think it is sold by the author anymore but I know Dave is selling a digital copy over at his site (And therefore agsarchives.com should be soon too!) There is also a demo available via Dave:
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/mayoco/project/media/Fatman_Demo.exe

If there are any other versions or other demo's around I got no idea!
Hope this information helped a little bit ;).

Gilbert

As far as I remember, due to financial problems (or lack of interest) Ionias closed his company and declared the game freeware and so the complete CD version with speech could be downloaded for free with his permission (and that's how I got the game; I will appologise if that's not the case ;D). However, he re-opened his company somewhat recently and that's where the re-mastered version came in place (from his site, you see that the re-mastered version is being sold, so it's safe to assume any older versions apart from this new one are now free).

The game's Wikipedia page also has some info.

arj0n

arj0n

@Gilbet V7000a:
So this demo:
Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Tue 21/09/2010 17:28:41
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/mayoco/project/media/Fatman_Demo.exe
So I guess, because the demo has speech and the remastered version on the sokko1.com site has no demo offered, it's the demo from the Original CD version?

Gilbert

Maybe. The problem is, I never download demos, so I'm not sure about it.

m0ds

I host a copy too, and I assume it's the full game without voices, cos it's only 28mb...but you say you have one at 58mb. So I'm confused too :)

I believe there are only 3 full versions, and no idea about the demo. But I could be way off track too..

2003 Rolling demo (video youtube)

2003 Full game with voices (unavailable)
2003 Full game without voices (free)
2007 Remastered full version with voices (pay)

Gilbert

Alright. One simple way of finding this out should be to research the game's thread (just look for the threads by checking Ionias' posts).

From this announcement, Ionias closed down his company and announced that the game was abandonware, near the end of 2003. The game's own page had this too, on page 6. So we just need to read from there onwards. I didn't have the time to read all of this, but what I gathered was that immediately a number of places (including The Under Dogs, but they have removed the full game now, possibly since a commercial re-mastered version was released) offered the game for download, though without voice. If you look hard enough, soon afterwards, people shared the fill talkie CD version though emule, and eventually some people even uploaded it to net space (that's how I got a copy).

So, the full talkie was not unavailable. At least it was available freely for some time and it was perfectly okay to grab it. I'm not sure whether there're still legal ways to get the CD version nowadays. It all depends on Ionias' decision, on whether he still allows us to get it, as the game has been re-released commercially not long ago.

Peder 🚀

Since the demo is hosted by Dave I recon it was made either specially for Dave or he had the source code and made a demo himself?

Asking Dave himself would most likely clear that up.

arj0n

Quote from: Mods on Wed 22/09/2010 13:33:59
I host a copy too, and I assume it's the full game without voices, cos it's only 28mb...but you say you have one at 58mb. So I'm confused too :)

I believe there are only 3 full versions, and no idea about the demo. But I could be way off track too..

2003 Rolling demo (video youtube)

2003 Full game with voices (unavailable)
2003 Full game without voices (free)
2007 Remastered full version with voices (pay)
58Mb unpacked, 28Mb packed, we're talking about the same version. ;)

Done with researching. Result:
01. [2003] Adventures of Fatman - Toxic Revenge, The [Rolling Youtube Video Demo]
02. [2003] Adventures of Fatman - Toxic Revenge, The [Original version without speech]
03. [2003] Adventures of Fatman - Toxic Revenge, The v1.0 [Original CD version with speech][Demo]
04. [2003] Adventures of Fatman - Toxic Revenge, The [Original CD version with speech]
05. [2007] Adventures of Fatman - Toxic Revenge, The [Remastered Special Edition with speech][Commercial]

Notes:
Number 03: Comes with an installer [probably done by Dave himself/Wadjet Eye Games], created in 2009-08.
Number 04: I own a copy of this Full CD version [201Mb, so if allowed I can give you a copy. Still not sure if it is freeware...

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Mods on Wed 04/04/2007 17:15:01
Mike, does this mean the free online versions need to be shut-down?

Quote from: Ionias on Wed 04/04/2007 23:00:35
No, not at all.

I released the original game as abandon-ware so it can stay that way. Just so long as it remains a free download. If people can't afford the new version and just want to play the original version of the game there's no reason to stop them. Naturally I'd prefer to make a little cash to help fund the new project, so if you can afford it by all means purchase a copy! :)

So I assume the original version would still be ok to share..

Also, so number 3 is actually just a demo of the original game and not the special edition that he actually sell?

arj0n

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Wed 22/09/2010 16:08:43
Also, so number 3 is actually just a demo of the original game and not the special edition that he actually sell?

* The important game files date April 2003.

* The blue title bar says :
"The Adventures Of The Fatman DEMO"

* The Intro Screen says:
"The Adventures Of The Fatman DEMO"
"Toxic Revenge
"Copyright 2003 SOCKO! Entertainment"

* When quiting the demo it shows "visit socko.adventuredevelopers.com.
This site doesn't exist anymore.

* The game exe file dates Augustus 2009 and the manual, which has been slightly altered ["Distributed by Wadjet Eye Games" for example has been added] dates also from Augustus 2009.

So it looks like it's the demo from the classic-original version only with a new installer and altered docs ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk