Gray

Started by Fitz, Wed 22/09/2010 15:26:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

Wow, look, it's been three months since the last update! Yes, I'm still working on it whenever I can - and getting closer and closer to actually finishing it! :D I'm hoping to release it sometime in March :) I'll try to post some pics later today - and if I get my camera to work, a photo of... Shhh, that's a surprise ;)

Oh and psssst! Please read the FORUM RULES. Big bad Darth Mandarb doesn't like people digging up old threads to ask about updates ;) Game makers should do it themselves, only. As much as I'm thankful, because it did motivate me to crawl out from under a rock and say hi... rules are rules :) Let's stick to them to keep the forum neat and tidy!

Darth Mandarb

Hey Fitz thanks for the update!  Glad to know you're still workin' on it!

Oh and;

Quote from: Fitz on Sat 14/01/2012 07:56:29Big bad Darth Mandarb doesn't like people digging up old threads to ask about updates ;)

It came in 3 days under the 90-day deadline so it was technically okay but still ... :)

Mr.Dream

Sorry ^^'

Read a rules for a forum in a foreign language it's very long...

So, thank for the informations and good luck for the next x)

Fitz

Mr. Dream:

Yeah, sometimes it takes many, many words to maintain order. And a lot of patience to obey the rules ;)

Darth Mandarb:

Yeah, I've kept terribly quiet all this time, haven't I? The reason is EXACTLY because I'm so busy with the game. All brain power goes into animating, coding, etc... Haven't even played any other AGS game in a WHILE! :o Or read a book in... a month or two? Waaay too focused on this one task.

So... here are a few sneak peeks!

Gray is a traditionalist. There's nothing like cold weapons.

It's too bad most people pick efficiency over tradition...

WHAM

Don't think I've commented before, but now I shall:
AWESOME! I just love the limited palette and the animation is superb! I know nothing of the farmer and I already think he's an awesome character because he picks his nose!  ;D
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Fitz

Oh yes, he's amazing in every way. His awesomeness goes way beyond his nose-picking abilities. But my favorite is still Gray! He's all sorts of cute AND evil at the same time. Can't beat that! ;)

Igor Hardy

Still looking good and the color palette remains striking.

Any tentative release dates?

Fitz

I'm *hoping* to release it in March or April. I'd say coding is at 90% and animations are at 95% - and progressing nicely. But then there are some thing that have been a little neglected in favor of honing the visual and functional aspect of the game first.
I'm also putting an emphasis on dialogues - and monologues - which are going to be a very important part of the game. Like, you'll be able to use every inventory item on every object, hotspot and character you meet - and you'll get a different response from Gray every time. I'm having tons of fun doing that - but it takes time, too! Also, I'm planning to release it both in English and Polish simultaneously, so there's some extra work in that area, too.
So basically, there's a lot of little things. Fonts. Sounds. And then the beta-testing, of course :) So... yeah, let's hope it'll be March/April after all :)

Fitz

Here's that little surprise I promised the other day! I know, it's not ingame material - but it's just so cute I couldn't help myself! Had to post it! :D

This is a little gray figurine of Clay! I mean... a clay figurine of Gray! Got it from my girlfriend - who's also the game's quality control department, alpha tester and the one that's been cracking that whip over my head for the past few months ;) AND a talented abstract sculptor - for whom this little dude (at about three inches tall) is not the first alien-like creation.

Gudforby

That is one cute alien!

Game merchandise already in production I see...  8)

WHAM

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ubel

I must get a boxed collector's edition of this game with that statue included!

Fitz

Yeah, he looks so nice and cuddly, doesn't he? I bet he'd make a great teddy bear! ;) One who'd say cute things when you push his belly. Like, "Take me to your leader".

But, of course, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. First I need to figure out a way to start that one-person clay figurine factory AND not lose the girlfriend at the same time ;) But the idea of me cracking that whip over her head, for a change, sounds really nice...  ;D

Fitz

Hmm, it's the last day of April... Last time I updated this thread, this was the tentative deadline. BUT we're still working on it, working really hard. We have close to all in-game songs and the game's basically playable from start to finish -- but most conversations, Look At's and interaction responses are still in the works. There's still a FEW things to do that I haven't even started, like sound fx, the outro and the Polish translation. I'm hoping it'll be ready for beta-testing in a month or so, so we could then release by the end of June.

In other news: the dev team grew! By 100%! So now there's four of us:

- SwordOfKings128, who's stuck with me from almost the very beginning, does the music -- and blows my mind on a daily basis.

- Sephiroth is back and assists me with some serious coding. I just think of something crazy I'd want in the game -- and thirty seconds later he sends me the code.

- Paul Franzen, the newest member on the team, offered to proofread and edit dialogues (and monologues) in the game. Ah, poor, unsuspecting soul, didn't know what he was gettting himself into :-D

Speaking of which, here's a sample of Gray's rhetorical talent - the all-time adventure game classic:

And this one of the game's milestones -- the game's own Quit GUI:

Because, obviously, a game with only four colors couldn't have a GUI that is GRAY ;)

Igor Hardy

Still looking good. :) Best of luck realizing the current schedule.

How big is the game btw?

Fitz

I did a little speed-run a while ago, and at that point, without having to go through some dialogs, and knowing what to do and where to go, it took about 45-60 minutes. So I'm guessing you can double that if you play it for the first time. Add the intro, outro, dialogues (which aren't short, either), and I guess you get a short-to-medium-length game :) But it's actually more fun if you take your time with it. There's about 35 objects in the inventory - but about 400-500 possible combinations of using them on hotspots, objects and other inventory items, all with a unique response. There are going to be multiple-choice dialogs (typically 4), branching out into new multiple-choice options. There's very likely close to two-thousand speech lines, and that not the end yet :) When I think of it, and the translation that I want to do, I'm scared -- but I love making this a game that sort of awards you for anything you do, whether right or wrong :)

Sephiroth

I had the occasion to hear some wonderful tracks from SwordOfKings128, and Fitz is working hard to bring us this little gem in time!

Quote from: Pablo on Mon 23/01/2012 13:30:31
I must get a boxed collector's edition of this game with that statue included!
I want that too, and the game on a 12+ floppy disks set!  :-*

Cheers!

NickyNyce

Sounds good Fitz, although I'm working with 6 aliens of my own, it's not nearly enough. Hope to see the nose picking farmer soon

The Aliens are invading! One game at a time  :wink:

Fitz

Aw, darnit, you beat me to it, Nicky! ;)

Hey, everyone! To celebrate Gray's two years' anniversary of being in production, I posted a little update in the original post. The alien invasion is nigh!

Armageddon

I liked the old logo, nice to know you are still working on it though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk