Dig in, Minecraft [AGSCraft server] BACK ONLINE!

Started by Peder 🚀, Fri 24/09/2010 03:35:59

Previous topic - Next topic

DoorKnobHandle

Awesome, great job with the up-keeping of the server BTW. It seems to have been running smoothly lately (even though the actual game was probably the cause for most crashes I presume).

Stupot

I've never played Minecraft, and probably can't be arsed to get involved now, but I have just spent the past couple of hours wacthing these brilliant videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gi9-UZKYo4&list=SL

Peder 🚀

Quote from: dkh on Tue 08/02/2011 10:49:18
Awesome, great job with the up-keeping of the server BTW. It seems to have been running smoothly lately (even though the actual game was probably the cause for most crashes I presume).

There was a server update the other day, might of helped a bit... Also the server has been going offline quite often actually lately (for strange unexplainable reasons). But I've tried to keep an eye on it to quickly get it back up if it has gone down.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
Ok I listen to the users. The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

I'll disable mobs
I started to play again recently and, in fact, found monsters interesting. Well, I can hardly remember any other game I played in last few years that would give me such an adrenaline rush ;D (knowing you will loose all your precious items in current inventory if you die).
But then again, I would agree that the way how monsters spawn make them quite annoying; I'd prefer they come from limited number of locations rather than spawn from every dark corner.
Regarding killing them, I guess some people know this already, I found almost every monster may be easily killed with a bow. Even spiders. Useability of melee weapons is still a question though.

DoorKnobHandle

When I wasn't interested in playing on the server anymore, it always worked fine, of course now that I am motivated again it won't let me connect. :p

My problem with the monsters wasn't that I didn't like the thrill and danger of dying, it's just that they were bugging out - especially creepers would hardly ever die even in broad daylight meaning it was impossible for me to move out of my home without risking ruining other people's hard work in the village by having one of them explode on me.

EDIT: working again.

Ryan Timothy B

Yeah, the creepers are definitely not good for multiplayer. I wrecked a few people's stuff and tons of my own work by inadvertently having a creeper blow it up.

If there is an option to have only zombies and maybe skeletons, I'd vote for that.. but like I said, I haven't played this in quite a while not sure if I would start again because of that.

IndieBoy

I only wanted mobs for the bonemeal to be honest.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Galen

Yeah, I really didn't mind back when a nice diamond sword and some moderate kiting would take down creepers and the sort pretty easily so long as you werent anywhere stupid. But since a bit before Beta they've just become near impossible to kill. Don't know if its because the values were lowered too much or because the net code got broken but they're really not fun to fight. Even if having adversaries does make things more interesting.

blueskirt

2 weeks ago, a friend of mine invited me on his server and before I knew it I was addicted. I build houses, farm, mines, subway stations linking the spawn point to all our constructions, I managed to survive more than 12 days in a row away from the comfort of our castle, collecting exotic resources during the day and hiding in my makeshift camp at night, and I can't wait for the next updates and for the Nether to be added in multiplayer.

Quote from: dkh on Tue 08/02/2011 20:44:33My problem with the monsters wasn't that I didn't like the thrill and danger of dying, it's just that they were bugging out - especially creepers would hardly ever die even in broad daylight meaning it was impossible for me to move out of my home without risking ruining other people's hard work in the village by having one of them explode on me.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Creepers and spiders don't die in daylight. Skeletons and zombies burns, spiders become peaceful during day (unless if you provoke them, or unless they enter a shadowy area, or unless they set their sights on you during the night, in which case they'll still be hostile), creepers are always hostile and won't die with sunlight. If there is a creeper blocking your front door, it's time you build a back door, or a tower where you can shoot arrows at them.

If there are dark areas in a 70 blocks radius around you, monsters will appears in them, if they see you, they will give chase. I suggest you unite your forces and put torches in the streets, on your rooftops, in your dark alleys, in your houses, and every 8 blocks in a 70 blocks radius around your town.

It's also a good idea to have a huge cactus farm (more than 64) and trim them daily to build a huge cactus rampart around your precious stuff, so monsters that try to reach you will just stings themselves to death (watch out, spiders can climb and do high and long jumps, it's possible for them to jump above the fence). Until then, you should only go out during the day and stay in your home at night, find a Let's Play you can watch while you wait for the morning to come, or find something you can build in the safety of your house (like a communal basement) lest you provoke spiders and creepers and lure them into town.

DoorKnobHandle

Yeah that's all nice and good in theory :p The problem is, you are almost always alone on the server and there is a pretty huge and complex city building up. If you went through there at all during any time of the day you would CONSTANTLY make creepers explode with absolutely no way to avoid it. Again, I'd hate to ruin somebody else's hard work.

With an active server that is prepared that monsters will be turned on in X days and can put up defenses and all it's a different story.

straydogstrut

Quote from: dkh on Tue 08/02/2011 23:37:04
With an active server that is prepared that monsters will be turned on in X days and can put up defenses and all it's a different story.

Maybe it should be just that: like a regular, looming armageddon that everyone has to prepare for. Is the monsters on/off tied to the creation of a new world though? ie. only set when creating a new world. Or can it be toggled at any point for an existing world? Maybe switch it on for a weekend once every couple of weeks or once a month or something..

I haven't logged in since they were first introduced and were all buggy. I survived just fine in a little hut on stilts and a corridor made of glass, but it sounds like they've grown meaner since then. I'll log in again soon, if only to see what everyone's been up to.

DoorKnobHandle

Hmm, can't connect again.

Code: ags

Failed to connect to the server

Connection refused: connect

This error pops up very quickly, unlike the other errors we all got a couple of times before it would work and log us in. Did I drop off the whitelist maybe? I'm NihiLSC.

Calin Leafshade

Ryan Timothy B

You know what would be a fun challenge? Survival Island

Where you start off with one tree and an island. You must be careful with your resources. Grow trees. etc.
It might not be good with this server since there's normally lots of people playing, but it would be great on a small scale, 2 to 4 people.

Galen

I'd rather try moleman mode. Where you have but a single day above ground to gather resources then under you go... forever.

Ryan Timothy B

That sounds horrible. haha I would totally cheat. :P

straydogstrut

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Thu 10/02/2011 18:13:28
You know what would be a fun challenge? Survival Island

+1 for Survival Island; those vids were great=)

Phemar

I'm in for survival island. Just got past episode 7, and man I'd kick those guy's asses at minecraft. I'm talking huge tree farm, wheat farm, mob killing tactics NINJA style!

Haha looks like fun though :D

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Iceymar on Fri 11/02/2011 01:24:40
I'm in for survival island. Just got past episode 7, and man I'd kick those guy's asses at minecraft. I'm talking huge tree farm, wheat farm, mob killing tactics NINJA style!

I think them playing horribly adds to the excitement of it all. Hell, I haven't played Minecraft in months and I want to start playing it just from watching those videos.

But yea, I'd have an insane tree, wheat and reed farm. They weren't even sneaking when they walked on their own farm land, that's how noobish they were. Then they run off the moment they see a zombie.

Also the Planetoids one they played looked pretty fun too for a short while. It would mostly be fun because of all the cool bridges you could make between each sphere mass and the challenge of finding the right elements that you need.

voh

Internet was down for me yesterday, so I decided to give moleman mode (aka 'fallout mode' :D) a try.

Gathered as much wood as I could, saplings, lots of sand (because I want to have the option of using glass, and you don't find much of that underground), dirt and a bit of meat. I was lucky to find a cave with coal in it, so I focused on gathering everything I wouldn't find underground. The cave also had water, so in all honesty, this was a massively lucky find. I could come up to get water when I'd need to.

Luckiest was that the entrance of the cave was grassy dirt! So I could actually build a friendly mob farm :D (as well as till the grass for seeds).

I built a staircase down some 25 blocks, and decided to build my base there. First I did was make a dirt staircase out of it, so the grass'd come down to base level.

First I built a tree farm, because I was relatively low on wood and was a little nervous about that. I started out with 6 saplings. I now have a tree farm which is ridiculously high-yield. It's twice 9x9, and the chest in the Arboreum has 5 stacks of saplings and 12 stacks of wood. It's insane.

Just building the Arboreum cost me 13 stone pickaxes. It's 11 blocks high, so large trees can (and do) grow. For the large trees with wood blocks placed weirdly, there's a ledge to stand on near the ceiling, with a bridge crossing the room.

Next I set out to build myself a nice wheat farm. Started out with 1 seed, but thankfully the return was, on average, 2:1. With those extra seeds, I now have 6 rows of 7 wheat blocks, producing nicely.

Of course, the friendly mob farm needed to be made, too.

20x20 room, 6 high, with a tree, all grass, except for a small pond. I intend to make this room even larger, and I'm also considering making it more of a natural landscape, rather than just flat grassland. I want to raise the roof of this room a lot. Hey, maybe wool dyed blue will make a nice 'sky'-y ceiling? it'd get me out of my underground blues..

After I'd completed the friendly mob farm, I filled up the stairwell to the cave entrance. I'd already made a water pool downstairs, so there was nothing up there I still needed.

When I closed off the entrance, I went to chop down some trees.

I came back into the central square of my base, looked at where the entrance used to be and I actually got a bit queasy.

I'm stuck here :(

Next up: enlarge the animal farm, then dig down and branch mine!
Still here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk