Primordia

Started by Pinback, Fri 24/09/2010 19:45:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

Very nice pictures! Keep it up.

markbilly

Those are really great. They have heaps of character - your style is very unique!

Can't wait for this! I'd love to see some animation, it's always hard to judge a game without seeing it moving... ;)

theo

Love the look of this, plain awesome!  :o

Keep up the good work, man!

Armageddon

Did you draw these on the PC or scan them into your computer? And did you make them pixel-like or is that just ags?

Dualnames

Quote from: Armageddon on Fri 26/11/2010 23:35:45
Did you draw these on the PC or scan them into your computer? And did you make them pixel-like or is that just ags?

I've coded this module that Pinback asked me to. So Pinback draws this, and via a certain algorithm I coded myself, it adds some effects to the image. I will release a working version of that module once the game is released.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Igor Hardy

Wow! This algorithm sounds incredible!

With some tweaking it could soon spare us the need of using artists, or possibly even our creative faculties in general! In fact maybe it'll allow AGS to finally implement that fabled "Make Game" button feature.

Pinback

Oh great they've seen the originals. Damnit Dualnames, stop chasing tail and making trouble for us- or I'll take you apart pixel by pixel!

But seriously, thanks for the props guys- glad you like the Metropol art.

@Armageddon I sketch everything on paper first, color in photoshop using a tablet and then resize them to fit our resolution. It's the re-sizing that gives the images thier pixelated look. Below is a brief explanation of how I make them, with pictures. AGS can do any style graphics really. I just love low resolution (320-200), and I can work pretty fast for the detail needed at that resolution.

My initial concept, although for simpler Primordia sprites I usually don't concept them first, as the design isnt crucial- so I go from idea straight to sprite.

Pencil sketch on cheap 'Arttec' A4 cartridge pad, with a Steadtler Mars micro 0.3 clutch pencil with HB lead. And PVC free eraser. Scanned at about 150 dpi.

Added color in CS4 with mostly soft round brushes.

Shrunk in Microsoft paint (Usually to around 30% the original size) Then outlines are cleaned up and a few stray pixels fixed. I added a dark brown outline to this one too.

BLUEKNIGHT38

Looks really cool.  Keep up the Great work.  Looking forward to playing this game. 

mode7

The whole art in this game is really outstanding. There's only one thing I don't understand: Why are you going for 320 resolution? The quality is begging to be in hires IMO.

Anian

Quote from: mode7 on Sat 27/11/2010 17:08:10
The whole art in this game is really outstanding. There's only one thing I don't understand: Why are you going for 320 resolution? The quality is begging to be in hires IMO.
Yeah, I kind of don't get it either, especially since you do the art higher res then lower it.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Pinback

Because 320x200 res rocks is why! I don't really like high res that much to be honest, unless it's in a cRPG or something, or done particularly well. For me low res images have always been a medium unto themselves, especially when hand drawn pixel by pixel of course, I just want to create in the medium I prefer really.

Khris

Yeah, don't ever switch to highres. I love your art and turning it into visible pixels is precisely what makes the style as unique and beautiful as it is.

Wonkyth

I agree, the granulation makes it look wonderfully unique!

also: lower-res wallpapers plx.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Pinback

Sure, I can do some low res wallpapers too- should have thought of that earlier really!

On another note, Primordia now has an actual Android on the team!   

Dualnames

Quote from: Pinback on Sun 28/11/2010 04:24:08
Sure, I can do some low res wallpapers too- should have thought of that earlier really!

On another note, Primordia now has an actual Android on the team!   

An Android? What are you talking about..? :-\
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Calin Leafshade

I havent told anyone this yet.. but...

I AM A ROBOT!

Domo origato mr roboto! *dance*

Pinback

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 28/11/2010 04:32:47
An Android? What are you talking about..? :-\

While officially she is a called a YUMECOM(TM) by her creator (Roboticist  Le Trung)  Aiko, our newest addition to the team is for all intents and purposes, a genuine Android.
She will be reading her lines visually from a script just like the organic members of Primordia's voice cast, although Aiko's performance will be videotaped for posterity. 

Pinback

Quote from: Mods on Tue 30/11/2010 15:18:13
Awesome! Never heard of that before but a quick search and this explains it! Wow! And now I've found a CNN video report of him & her... lol, "Ouch, that hurts, stop it." LOL it gets even better.

Wow dude, what a land for your game! Congrats

PS, I'd be greatful for 1280x1024 wallpapers too, they're great, but too big for my retro monitor!

It is neat to have Aiko in many ways, although the human voice cast, with thier fancy emotions and all will be doing the real work of engaging the player.

Oh and yeah, if anyone wants the wallpapers in a specific res- just post what need/want here and I'll do another batch of them soon. I have no idea what res to put them at, for the current batch I just copied the sizes Age of Decadence had on thier website:)

Tamanegi

Quote from: Pinback on Sat 27/11/2010 17:25:18
Because 320x200 res rocks is why! I don't really like high res that much to be honest, unless it's in a cRPG or something, or done particularly well. For me low res images have always been a medium unto themselves, especially when hand drawn pixel by pixel of course, I just want to create in the medium I prefer really.

Amen to that!

The visuals look like H. R. Giger meets steampunk, I was instantly reminded of Darkseed (a game I could only ever get in French so I didn't play it, and I was told it was mediocre anyway).

I like that dark, gritty technology style as a setting, it adds so much more atmosphere than sterile Star Trek technology.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

Pinback

Quote from: Tamanegi on Tue 30/11/2010 17:16:44
Quote from: Pinback on Sat 27/11/2010 17:25:18

Amen to that!

The visuals look like H. R. Giger meets steampunk, I was instantly reminded of Darkseed (a game I could only ever get in French so I didn't play it, and I was told it was mediocre anyway).

I like that dark, gritty technology style as a setting, it adds so much more atmosphere than sterile Star Trek technology.

Thanks Tamanegi!

I am kinda fond of the Darkseed games, despite thier flaws, and oh boy do we have a lot of dark machinery!
For one thing we have almost no dull transitional screens in Primordia just to beef up the game world, and I like to think each background has it's own little story to tell visually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk