Abduction (MAGS)

Started by mode7, Fri 01/10/2010 00:47:22

Previous topic - Next topic

mode7

ABDUCTION

Overview:
You take the role of a Hijacker who only has one goal: Abducting the Princess!

It's a Game about human desires, about fame and fortune, about love and hate and ultimately about life and death itself.

I made this game for MAGS September 2010. It's what I would call an Arcade Adventure. It controls like an arcade platformer, it plays like an adventure game.

Features:

• Keyboard or Gamepad (recommended) controlled!
  • Upbeat retro sountrack!
  • Animations galore!
  • Parallax backgrounds!
  • No bothersome dialogs!
  • And one extra life!

Link:
Download:
Download Link! (Rev.4)

Screens:

More Info:
Please keep in mind that this game is rather easy and really short. It was created in only a month.
I first got the idea for this game when I was replaying Sam'n'Max Season 1. I still thought it was cool but what really bothered me (and thats the problem with all classic point'n'click games) was the redundant walking around and having to go through lot's of dialog (again). Overrall that really makes the game's pacing slow and feels outdated.
So I came up with the concept for Abduction. A game without dialog and an arcade like gameplay. This is a radical and time consuming (for the creator) aproach but for me it could serve as a blueprint for future games with a similar style. It is my first game and there are a lot of things I just learned while making it.
So I'd like to hear your opinions and of course a report of possible bugs.

Known Bugs:

if using the candle -again- where the spring apeared near left of the blacksmith- the game froze. (thanks to LUniqueDan for reporting)

Update: 1.10 10:56. There were some serious bugs in the earlier releases. Some might have rendered the game unfinishable if they occured. They should be fixed now. Also fixed some issues with sounds not playing. If you downloaded an earlier version you might want to get this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Update: 10.10 10:56. If you had problems finishing the game this issue is now fixed.

Kiwi

That girl looks like Princes Peach of Mario Bros. , I'm wrong?  hahhaa, I'll try it ;)

Storygamer

I found a couple bugs to add to your list--there are 2 hotspots I found that don't turn "off" correctly.  I'll hide them in spoiler tags to (duh) keep from spoiling anyone.

Spoiler
The first one is the guy at the far left of the screen. Once you give him the letter, he goes over to the castle. However, if you interact with this hotspot again (i.e. press action key at the spot where he used to stand), he will teleport back to his previous position and do his old animation again--and now it is impossible to get him to move, because the player no longer has the letter to give him. The second bug is similar to the first, but happens with the guy (miner?) who was underground on the far right. Press interact on his old hotspot and he will teleport back there to give you the candle again. Since the diamond is now gone, there is no way to get him to move back to the castle
[close]

Finally, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there is more I have to do to finish, but...

Spoiler
Even when I get all three guys to stand by the castle, pressing the action button there still only results in the player character pointing up and giving the "three-people-together" thought-bubble icon.  I'm not sure if it is simply that there is more I need to do or if the three guys are supposed to open the gate for me, which is what I had assumed.
[close]

Fun little game though.  Nice graphics and music, very entertaining.

mode7

There were some serious bugs in the earlier releases. Some might have rendered the game unfinishable if they occured. They should be fixed now. Also fixed some issues with sounds not playing. If you downloaded an earlier version you might want to get this.

The reason for this is that this is the first game I've ever done and also the first coding I've ever done. I apologize again.

I'm sorry storyteller that so many bugs spoiled the experience. The last bug is strange. They way you described it a sequence should start playing when entering the area. It works when testing it. Would you mind testing it again with the new version?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

This is a very slick game in terms of presentation and menus!  After wandering around a bit, I pressed a few buttons on my gamepad randomly just to see if I could hand items out to npcs and the entire game just halted, forcing me to alt-tab and shut it down.  This might be a problem with wyz's plugin rather than your game, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Cyrus

There are still some bugs, but I loved this game.
Spoiler
Especially the death screen - so contrasting to sweet cartoony setting  :o
[close]

mode7

Thanks Cyrus, I thought so too. The effect works really well.

BTW: How do I hide text when posting.

PuNKKoMmANDO77

is princess Peach  ;D ?

very nice graphic

Cyrus

Quote from: mode7 on Fri 01/10/2010 11:46:54

BTW: How do I hide text when posting.

Use the
Spoiler
tag  :D
[close]

mode7

Quote from: PuNKKoMmANDO77 on Fri 01/10/2010 11:55:47
is princess Peach  ;D ?

very nice graphic

Let's say heavily inspired from Paper Mario. Not only by Princess Peach but also the whole room layout.

Khris

Finished it; didn't encounter more bugs but didn't look for them :)

Very impressive as a first game, looking forward to your future games!

(Small glitch: the inventory is still accessible during the [very slow] credits.)
(BTW: To see how somebody formatted a post, e.g. to find out about spoiler tags, simply click "Reply with quote" to see what they typed.)

Storygamer

You don't need to apologize for the bugs--first releases nearly always have something somewhere :).  This game is actually much better than most "first games" I've played--really feels professional to me, or at least experienced.  I'll try the new version and see if I can get that sequence to play.

BTW, to hide text, just type the word "hide" in brackets before the text (without the quotes), and "/hide" in brackets after it.

EDIT: Just played through it again and had the same problem at the end.  I even did things in a different order to see if that would fix it, but it didn't.  To clarify, here's everything I've done:
Spoiler
-Picked up cork automatically
-Picked up flowers
-Picked up hammer
-Picked up box
-Used hammer on cracked rock
-Interacted with the miner and received the candle
-Interacted with the window to see the sheep
-Used the box, then used the window again, then picked up the box to get the sheep
-Burned the haystack down
-Broke the box
-Used the left spring to go to the left island
-Used the cork on the smokestack, returned to the main area to get killed by the falling stone, using up my 1 life.
-Broke the stone, gaining the ore and the diamond
-Gave the diamond to the miner, causing him to walk over near the gate
-Used the right spring to go to the right island
-Gave Bo Peep the sheep and received the ribbon
-Gave Bo Peep the flowers and received the letter
-Hit the tree with the hammer to get the apple
-Gave the apple to the sheep
-Came back to the main area and used the ore in the furnace
-Used the hammer on the gold
-Used the ribbon on the medal, receiving the medal-on-a-ribbon
-Gave the medal-on-a-ribbon to the blacksmith, causing him to join the miner by the gate
-Gave the letter to the far left guy, causing him to join the others at the gate.
-Went to the gate, where nothig happened.  Pressed the "interact" key in several different places, but it always results in the player character doing the little "think bubble" animation where he sees three stick figures standing together again.  Can't seem to proceed any farther
[close]

I've posted it all because maybe it's not a bug--maybe I simply missed a step, although I'm thinking that with three people standing by the gate (four including me) the game should move forward, but I may have missed something.

All in all, like I said, this is a really fun game.  Hopefully I can see the end soon!

mode7

This is really strange. I will try to reenact the situation to find out if i can recreate that bug later. I might have come across it, but coudn't recreate it

david

Finished, what a cute abducted little game.
Even though I don't like these kind of controls, it was a nice experience.
Congratulations on your first game  ;D

Unlike Storygamer's problems I finished it totally till the end. 

Storygamer

Hunh.  Everyone else seems to be finishing it with no problems.  Wish I had some idea why nothing is happening for me at the end.

Here's a screenshot of my current predicament:

david

Quote from: Storygamer on Sat 02/10/2010 23:59:00
Hunh.  Everyone else seems to be finishing it with no problems.  Wish I had some idea why nothing is happening for me at the end.

Here's a screenshot of my current predicament:

I was the last one in line, not the first one.... maybe that will help you finish it  :P

mode7

Dualnames, I'm trying to figure it out.
Questions:
Spoiler
1. were you already standing in front of the castle before the last guy arrived?
2. Who was the last Character that entered the castle area
3. Did you try running around the screen and then returning to the castle while all three guys were standing there?
[close]

Storygamer

For Question 1--I've tried it getting there first, and I've tried it getting their after.
For Question 2--The first time, I made the miner last. The second time, I made the far left guy last.
For Question 3--Yep, tried that repeatedly in fact.

Monsieur OUXX

Nice little game.
The gameplay is a bit weird at first, but once you get used to it it's alright. I think it would deserve to have a visual indicator when you hit "a" or "s" to be absolutely sure that your character is trying to do what you ask. Otherwise you feel a bit like in Alone In The Dark when you were trying the right action but were not sure that you were standing at the right place for it to work.

I suffer performance issues on my sublaptop (Samsung NC 10), probably because of the paralaxes, but, eh, there's nothing you can do about it.

I have the same issue as other people : I can't finish the game. I've got all 3 guys standing in front of the castle (blacksmith arrived last), and I was there BEFORE him), and nothing's happening.

Those are only side comments : The bottom line is that the game is great and has a great finish.

mode7

sorry guys I've been away this week. I'll look into this can't finish issue tomorrow

EDIT: Found the bug. Really stupid! It apears if you trigger the blacksmith from the wrong hotspot. It's easily fixed. Post it tomorrow
EDIT: Ok it is fixed now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk