Tales of Otubania (plus "SillyStoryMaker")

Started by TomatoesInTheHead, Sat 02/10/2010 14:57:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuiki

This was hilarious!

I love it when he says to the phoenix, "Hey, I'm a seducer."
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

LRH

Duals- I can't tell you how happy I am with the positive responses to my videos. I have never gotten so many thumbs up so quickly! I'll be sure to make more of these, I wonder what I should do next? I tend to like to do things I can cover quickly that haven't gotten much attention from other places.

As for you TomatosInTheHead, more please! I love your sense of humor.

Dualnames

I'd say Technobabylon. Not to ask for much but a review for Disquiet would make me happy as f$%& as well.But totally Technobabylon part I & II. ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

TomatoesInTheHead

Haha, I love the review, Domithan, thanks a lot! ;D Really good job, and not only because it happened to be my game there.
And I guess I should use your awesome background-music-voice-remix in a next game, just to annoy everyone ;)

Quote from: tzachs on Sun 09/01/2011 22:12:27
The SillyStoryMaker sounds like fun, I bet it can make for an awesome MAGS theme.
Hmm, I'd have to win a MAGS contest to make it a theme, right? Mmmaybe someday...

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 10/01/2011 06:16:16
I loved the references to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Was there more than one? I'm only aware of one, but my mind may be so soaked by Douglas Adams' stories that I don't even realize the references anymore...

As for the graphics, I hope I can improve my skills (and maybe more importantly, patience). And since I love to automate stuff, I try to write some programs to help me with that, too. Might be especially helpful to make some fancy animations, like... for steam clouds or something.

I'm really glad you all enjoy the humor, as I'm sometimes not sure if dialogues/monologues are funny or just seem funny to me when they first come to my mind. You know, the awkward moment when you tell a joke, nobody laughs, and you are like "but it was funny in my head..."

So, thank you all for your feedback, and if I'm never going to make a game again, it's surely because of the pressure to meet the expectations ;)

Kyougi

This game was hilarious, and the simple music was oddly catchy. I always like games where you can spend ages interacting with the environment in increasing pointless, yet still response giving ways.

Though, most of your download links seem to be dead, or at least for me. Only the box.net link worked properly, and I was looking forward to playing with Silly Story Maker =/

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: Kyougi on Sat 15/01/2011 01:40:05
Though, most of your download links seem to be dead, or at least for me. Only the box.net link worked properly, and I was looking forward to playing with Silly Story Maker =/
Oh right, sorry, I forgot to upload this to box.net (arcor.de has a monthly traffic limit of 1 GB, so I guess it will be available there in February again, and I think I won't hit the traffic limit anymore if this game isn't in the newly added games section anymore).
I've uploaded it now, you can find it here. It's also a slightly updated version (to make up for the incovenience of clicking on dead links). You can now specify an approximate number of lines (= actions/subgoals/puzzles) so it won't generate stories that are only one line long or that are too long.
Have fun! :)

Matti

QuoteOne of the funniest games I've played lately!

That's what I was going to write. The dialogs and characters are quite amusing, I really like this game!

Oh, and the Silly Story Maker is almost equally funny: "Before Bazedo can go to the apartment, Bazedo must GO to the apartment."  ;D

I'm considering making a short game with a silly randomized story too..

stepurhan

Definitely a fun little game. I loved the way you actually made jokes about the graphic limitations from time to time as well (such as the static smoke from the boat)

The Silly Story Maker gave me an ultimate goal of giving a stick to a vampire. Depending on your definition of "giving" (say "giving" a stick to the heart  ;D ) that almost sounds logical

TomatoesInTheHead

Thanks!

Matti, I'd love to see such a game, with or without this infinite loop. ;D

Giving a stick to a vampire seems indeed pretty logical. :)

Speaking of logical: While browsing for Domi's awesome video review again today, I found this video walkthrough of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ir5kMUa4RA - they discovered a big flaw in the logic of my dialogs that I wasn't aware of, damn! :D

The stick and vampire heart thing just gave me another idea: When you include things like "headache" and "heart-attack" in the items list of the SillyStoryMaker (I just found out there's actually an iPhone app and a board game with that name, hopefully they don't sue me), there could be reasonable objectives like "To go into the house, you must first give the doorman a headache." - along with not-so-reasonable objectives like "pick up the headache" or "combine the headache with the cup", and in the end probably ending up with a headache as an inventory item, but well...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk