Quest for Glory fan projects

Started by Blake00, Mon 04/10/2010 08:02:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake00

Hey everyone! :)

I've been working on a Quest for Glory section on my website with information, pictures, videos, walkthroughs & maps (some made by me), and downloads for each of the games as I play through them.

I've also been working on a large QFG related fan games section devoted to all the successful and particularly the unsuccessful projects (AGS & MAD etc). I've noticed over the years as many of them have died and their websites have gone down resulting in all their great work disappearing never to be seen again by the fan community to inspire new projects. Despite the many closures I've been hunting down old previews, old site hostings before they moved, and even web-archive on the dead ones to find any pictures and information that I can save & create a tribute page to each fallen game.

Some of you may recognise me as I've already posted this in a couple of AGS/QFG fan community forums (AGDI, IA, QFMG) and got some extra names I didn't know about but you guys may know more. I also worked with the afore mentioned forums a few months back when I was constructing a detailed Quest for Glory 4.5 walkthrough, map & fan page which is now all finished! :)

This is my latest summary of the website list below.

https://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/QFGSeries/
(Note: Originally built in 2001 this website is still deliberately very late 90s early 2000s retro in design. So if you're not nostalgic for old retro websites with music, animating gifs & left click browsing then you probably won't like it)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QFG related game projects list (Updated 2/1/2017) :
- Hero-U (New series of games from QFG creators the Coles themselves)
- Quest for Glory IV 3D Project (my Hexen mod project)
- Quest for Glory 2 Remake
- Hero6
- Quest for Glory 4 1/2
- Quest for Infamy (New version of project)
- Mage's Initiation
- Heroine's Quest: The Herald Of Ragnarok (New version of project)
- Hero of Infamous Kingdoms
- Quest for Yrolg
- Betrayed Alliance
- Quest for Glory I Redux
- Quest for Glory ZZT
- Quest for 3D
- Quest for Glory I: Extended Edition
- Quest for Glory I 2.5D
- QFG6 Hero's Legend
- Grim Quest
- Heroism: The Art of De-Fence
- Quest for Infamy: So You Want to Be a Villain? (Old version of project)
- Heroine's Quest: The Legend of Fair Spring (Old version of project)
- Project Katrina
- Destiny The Lost Soul
- Hero of Odarin I: Nightfall (Previously Adventurer's Quest I: Flight of the Vampire)
- Struggle For Life & Honour
- Peril Quest
- Quest for Glory 3D (Previously Re-Quest For Glory)
- The Unknown Hero
- Glorious Quest
- Unknown QFG Project: By Dormant
- Legacy of Glory
- Unknown QFG Project: By Jimbeanus
- Conquests of a Hero (Also known as A Hero's Tale & Quest for Heroism)
- Quest for Orgy Series
- Luke 3D
- The Last Call of Avoozl
- Quest For Glory: A Hero's Death
- Project Midgard
- The Glory Project

For more details on these games you can now visit my finished Quest for Glory Page. If you have demos, videos, and pictures that I don't have for projects in my list please contact me. Also please let me know if there are there any other QFG related projects out there that I haven't listed here.

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

Radiant

Impressive. I used to keep track of this, and there's a few games on your list that I hadn't even heard of.

Some tidbits you may be interested in,

• To my knowledge, only one demo of Destiny: the Lost Soul exists. I have been unable to locate it, though.
  • Quest for Orgy is actually a complete game, mostly featuring graphics from King's Quest 5. I've played this in the past, although I don't think I have it any more. Also, a one-room demo exists, which is not part of the main game. Neither is particularly related to Quest For Glory, though, apart from the title. As I recall, Sierra/Vivendi sent a Cease&Desist order to take this one down, because of its (marginal) sexual content. I don't think the named sequels were ever a serious plan.
  • I don't think Mirror Of Dreams was QFG-related, either. Also, except for the screens included in HOIK, I have been unable to find any information on it.
  • Quest for Yrolg has two voice packs, one in English and one in Czech. The latter sounds very appropriate to the setting even if you don't speak the language.
  • One that's not on your list yet is Glorious Quest, which is admittedly dead.

deadsuperhero

Quest for Orgy was awesome. Nuff said.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Blake00

Ahh hello Radiant, I've been having email correspondence with one of your fellow Crystal Shard members Corby who's been enormously helpful with my website (& he just gave me another game to look into)! :)

Thanks heaps for the information! I see your searches have yielded similar results to mine which I'll post in a moment (I'm sure you'll find what I have useful).
However I did not know about your Glorious Quest. I will look into it ASAP. Thanks again! :)

Blake00

EDITED 23/3/2013 - This was originally a huge post containing details on my investigations into each game project. I don't want to have to update multiple posts every time something changes, and now that the website is finished this list is no longer required anyway.

To see the information that was originally here you can now visit my finished Quest for Glory Page. If you have demos, videos, and pictures that I don't have for projects in my list please contact me. Also please let me know if there are there any other QFG related projects out there that I haven't listed here.

Radiant

Okay,

• For what it's worth, I've also got a mirror of HOIK at http://crystalshard.net/index.php?p=8&s=74
  • To my best knowledge, no video trailers have ever been made for any of the games mentioned. There certainly aren't any for Heroine's Quest or Quest for Yrolg. Overall it is pretty rare for any fangame to release a video trailer in the first place, and most of these projects predate the wide availability of internet video.
  • To my best knowledge, no demos have ever been created for Project Katrina or QfI. I believe a demo for Nightfall and SFLAH exists, but has only been available to their respective development teams.
  • IA is active on these forums, so they should be able to answer your questions. As far as I know, QfI has been put on indefinite hold because IA is working on several other games instead, most notably SQ2.
  • And, of course, if you have questions about Yrolg, Glorious Quest, or Heroine's Quest - shoot.
  • And come on, it's spelled "Youtube".

Volcan

QuoteLinks: Yes â€" 2 dead sites http://web.archive.org/web/20050215113058/http://membres.lycos.fr/agisite/autre2.htm

The site is not dead: the page was renamed.
http://membres.lycos.fr/agisite/autre001.htm

Blake00

I have made a few updates to my list including adding 2 new games to my list (thanks to Radiant and Corby):
Glorious Quest
Conquests of a Hero/A Hero's Tale/Quest for Heroism (they never decided on 1 name)

The webpage I'm building from my research above is almost finished. Will post it soon.

Quote from: Volcan on Fri 08/10/2010 13:35:00
The site is not dead: the page was renamed.
http://membres.lycos.fr/agisite/autre001.htm

The site that hosted and had information on QFO is essentially dead though as the current site does not have it any more. I've adjusted the wording though.

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 08/10/2010 11:30:16
Okay,

• For what it's worth, I've also got a mirror of HOIK at http://crystalshard.net/index.php?p=8&s=74
  • To my best knowledge, no video trailers have ever been made for any of the games mentioned. There certainly aren't any for Heroine's Quest or Quest for Yrolg. Overall it is pretty rare for any fangame to release a video trailer in the first place, and most of these projects predate the wide availability of internet video.
  • To my best knowledge, no demos have ever been created for Project Katrina or QfI. I believe a demo for Nightfall and SFLAH exists, but has only been available to their respective development teams.
  • IA is active on these forums, so they should be able to answer your questions. As far as I know, QfI has been put on indefinite hold because IA is working on several other games instead, most notably SQ2.
  • And, of course, if you have questions about Yrolg, Glorious Quest, or Heroine's Quest - shoot.
  • And come on, it's spelled "Youtube".

Thanks Radiant!

• Thanks, I've added your page to HOIK along with one I forgot Orion (proj Katrina) gave me.
  • Yeah vids are pretty rare, I managed to find either a copy or at least a mention of trailers for a few games so I made it a 'category' to check for all just in case there were more I didn't know about. For some I even started making my own (eg QFG4.5) to create more youtube interest in fan projects.
  • That's a shame there were no public demos for those games, the nightfall screens are most impressive. I found 3 demos for SFLAH but 2 are 1 screen towns and the 3rd much larger demo testing day/night cycles just uses KQ5 graphics. If they had a proper demo its shame they never released it publicly. I want the mentioned but not found Destiny & Hero6 forest demos so bad lol.
  • Yeah I posted this same thread at IA before I came here, some of them have been quite helpful (it even inadvertently started a QFG5 de-make convo lol) but they've been tight lipped on QFI so far.
  • Thanks indeed I do! I've downloaded and tried out your Glorious Quest demo. Was very impressed as a working combat engine is the nightmare task of any QFG project and you almost knocked it down in a demo lol! Although I tried to kill the guard but after hitting him an enormous amount of times I gave up. Tried to exit the sides of the screen and also tried entering the building but had no luck. Is there anything else in the demo I've missed out on? Can the guard be killed if I keep at it?
  • lol sorry! I got lazy, have corrected to Youtube lol

Volcan

Oops. Wrong link.

Here the right link for Quest for Orgy  on my website:
http://membres.multimania.fr/agisite/ags001.htm

Blake00

Quote from: Volcan on Mon 11/10/2010 16:51:06
Oops. Wrong link.

Here the right link for Quest for Orgy  on my website:
http://membres.multimania.fr/agisite/ags001.htm

cheers for that.. have updated the link and have tried out the game. It was... interesting lol

Blake00

Hey everyone. My little pet project webpage dedicated to all the QFG fan games is essentially finished! Before anyone points it out yes I know it's pretty basic, but I only know basic html and made it all in notepad occasionally pasting in freely available scripts & code. Never really had the time/money to take a proper course lol!

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series

Obviously I've still gotta finish my playthroughs of QFG3,4 & 5 but the fan game section is done. They'll probably be little updates as people are still contacting me with QFG games I didn't know about but most of the work is behind me.

Orion (Project Katrina) over at QFMG nicknamed my page the 'graveyard site' for QFG fan games and he's quite right lol.. so many dead projects. Now at least some of them will live on and hopefully inspire more project ideas from the surviving studios in the future. There are also some great successful projects there and I've done my best to show them off and support their great work either by linking other peoples good walkthroughs, maps & videos or by making my own (QFG4.5 has my biggest contributions).

I've got to say big thankyou's to the people that have helped in the forums and who have contacted me privately with information, pictures and files! Notably Corby over email (Heroine's Quest, Conquests of a Hero), Radiant in the posts above, and Orion at QFMG forums (Project Katrina & HOIK) for help on their respective projects and other projects. I still welcome any information that can help fill the gaps in the list above & my page, plus I'm sure there's more projects out there I don't know about. But for now I hope people like! :)

ZcheK

I really appreciate what you've done here, it's helping me alot with my qfg project.

Blake00

Quote from: ZcheK on Tue 01/03/2011 08:39:14
I really appreciate what you've done here, it's helping me alot with my qfg project.

Thanks mate, that is exactly what I set out to do when I constructed this list and my website. Let the great old projects of the past inspire great new ones! :)

BTW once again if anyone has news, material and/or information not already covered above please let me know! :)

Blake00

Already posted this in a couple of other places where I chat with fellow QFG addicts but I keep forgetting all the fans here lol!!

While working on my QFG website a few months back I wanted to add to my fan pages some rarely seen demo trailers of the Quest For Glory games.

Dissatisfied with the dodgy versions already available on Youtube I recorded & uploaded my own high quality versions (no compression prior to Youtube) of the original Sierra QFG Series demos. For any QFG fans feeling nostalgic here they are! :)

I always love watching the QFG4 one, makes me wanna get out the game and have another go! :)

QFG1VGA
http://youtu.be/WB5uNghFgtk

QFG3
http://youtu.be/3t2_OPi3BQ4

QFG4 (only version on youtube with the fly by intro)
http://youtu.be/ZYvxKzzO4Ho

Volcan

My website has moved. I'm sorry for that.

You'll find Quest for orgy at:
http://agisite.zxq.net/ags001.htm

Blake00

Quote from: Volcan on Fri 21/10/2011 14:56:22
My website has moved. I'm sorry for that.

Opps sorry for the delay mate, I haven't checked here in a while! Have fixed the link to your game on my website and list.

Am doing a lot of visual upgrades to my QFG fan games page at the moment plus there's some more projects I've discovered and some new demos found/given to me allowing for more media to be put up for several fan games. Am also finally finishing off my playthroughs for the orginal QFG games and soon I will have finished Version 1.1 of my QFG 4 1/2 Walkthrough. Will share updates here when done!

FrankT

Say! I never knew that many QFG fan games existed!

LTGiants2000

I've seen a few projects still exist over at www.questformoreglory.com, I know one of them (Grimm Quest) was posted in these forums somewhere.

Blake00

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Thu 10/05/2012 17:22:13
I've seen a few projects still exist over at www.questformoreglory.com, I know one of them (Grimm Quest) was posted in these forums somewhere.

Yeah I'm the one that posted the 3 thousand word beta test report for Grimm Quest (what can I say.. I'm an obsessed QFG fan and I had the week off of work lol) over at the Quest For More Glory forums so all good mate. Just haven't got around to sticking it in the list yet. :)

Am still updating my site to will do a brand new updated Quest For Glory Fan Game list here soon. :)

Blake00

Hey everybody! Been a while since I last updated this list and as a result there have been many changes to my Quest for Glory Page and new projects found since my last update! Thank you to everyone that's contacted me with new information over the last 3 years! :)

New QFG related projects added:
- Hero-U - Lori & Corey Cole are back making RPG games!
- Mage's Initiation - Amazing new kickstarter project from the QFG2 remake team
- Quest for Glory ZZT - oldie that slipped my radar
- Quest For 3D - Cool new QFG1 project using the unreal engine
- Grim Quest
- Peril Quest

QFG related projects updated:
- Original QFG3,4 & 5 - Finally finished my playthroughs & tribute pages!
- Hero6 - Original MAD & Final AGS demos FINALLY found and made available! New pics/vids made
- Quest For Glory 4 ½ - New v1.1 walkthrough released! New QFG4.5 Enhanced edition in the works!
- Quest for Infamy - Project back from dead via kickstarter! New pics/vids/demos
- Heroine's Quest: The Herald Of Ragnarok - New pics and trailer vid

General QFG page updates:
- Widescreen support with fullscreen backgrounds
- Thumbnails for faster page loads
- Transparent darkened/coloured box theme overhaul
- Animating intro page
- Animating backgrounds - occasional ghosting in IE
- Custom cursors - won't work in IE
- Transparent coloured scrollbars - only works in Chrome, Safari & partially in IE

Every time I post here I wonder if it will be the last time and then new talented QFG fans appear with new projects in the works. Has been quite amazing how things have come back to life over the last 3 years. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk