The Second Man

Started by cianty, Sun 17/10/2010 17:44:02

Previous topic - Next topic

cianty

Thanks for the great feedback, guys!

@Windows: Yeah... what I tried to do is get the perspective right for when the character stands next to it (then horizontal looks weird) but as the background scrolls the windows look wrong, of course. I will adjust them as suggested.

@Music: All credits go to Bosa, who was so awesome to provide this piece of great original music for the game. Music does make such an incredible difference.

@Snake: He he... just as tedious as walking five floors in reality - well, not that tedious.  ;D Just enough to make you grateful for when the elevator works. However, the player won't have to use the stairs that often anyways. This is no Trilby's Notes where you spend most of your time roaming the corridors. Thinking about it I definately spent too much time on this considering how little of the entire house is actually used. ::)

@NEON: I am not too happy with the Pull icon either. Sooner or later I will definately create a thread in the Critics Lounge and have you all tear the symbols apart. :)
ca. 70% completed

Tramponline

DAMN! I can't help it!
I've this compulsive urge to come back to this thread's initial post, with the futile attempt not to drool all over my keyboard! Those graphics...really, I can't put my finger on it - some of us called it 'vibes' - which is actually spot-on!

I know, it's probably a bit early for that, BUT if you need play testers at one point or another - DEFINITELY count me in if you want!!!
All the best and much energy for this intriguing project of yours!

cianty

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Tramponline! I am glad you like what you see so far.

There are a few people who occasionally play through the parts as I finish them but I definaitely want to have some "proper" playtesters before the final release and you are very welcome to playtest!
ca. 70% completed

theo

Looks great! Love the style and music.

Best of luck!

Stupot

I'm also getting good vibes from them there screenies.
All the best for release :-)

LuciferSam86

Just impressive, remember me the gold age of Lucas Arts :)
btw it will commercial or free this game?
God is Real, unless declared Integer

coldwater

Graphics and interface look great. Looks just like an old LucasArts, can't wait to try this one out.

cianty

Sorry for the lack of updates. Progress is steady and good. I'm just a bit hesitant in throwing out all the backgrounds in fear of spoiling too much.

Anyways, to make up for your time wasted reading the above status note, here's another one:

ca. 70% completed

arj0n

Secret Fawful

I have to say that this is a beautiful and unique looking game. Very atmospheric.

BaptisteTheFool

I almost sent you a PM the other day to see how progress was going.  This is one I've been very interested in.

Looking great!!  :D

Dualnames

Looking good, cianty, keep it up.  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Takyon

I want this right now. Looks like a great idea. The only downer for me is the big inventory UI, I like the old looking pixel graphics but the UI takes up a lot.
ghost.

cianty

Thanks for the nice comments, guys! They do a great job of motivating me even more. :)

Quote from: Jake Skywalker on Fri 11/03/2011 20:17:12
The only downer for me is the big inventory UI, I like the old looking pixel graphics but the UI takes up a lot.

I know what you mean. When I started I just went with the 9-verb-template as it was. Of course it would look better to open/show the invenoty only when you need. There's no way I would change this now but it's on my list for things to change for the follow-up game. A huge plus of the big UI is that it means I have to draw smaller backgrounds. It would take me a lot longer to paint full screen backgrounds and I am often glad that I don't have to fill the entire screen.
ca. 70% completed

Takyon

Fair enough, that's a good excuse to save on the backgrounds actually lol. Can't wait for this game anyway, keep it up mate.
ghost.

theo

Lookin' good, cianty!

Don't be afraid of casting shadows. PI noir is all about shadows.  8)

Keep up the good work.

Knox

wow this looks good! Love that cycle :)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Dataflashsabot

How did I not see this before o_0

SuperDre

Quote from: Ascovel on Sun 17/10/2010 17:50:43
Great style. I already feel as if I'm looking at some long lost LucasArts' gem.

That's exactly what I was thinking... ohhh SO looking forward to playing this one... ;)

Stupot

That brickwork is just fantastic.  Would love to see a tutorial or something if you haven't done one already :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk