Ags and facebook connection! vote now yes or no

Started by Icey, Mon 25/10/2010 23:44:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Is ags smart enough yet for me to be able to use the TCP plug-in and have it connect to my browser>facebook.com.I want my game to be able to connect to the internet and post text about events in my game that I selected to be posted.

Basically I want AGS to post on my wall.

Head to the bottom if you would like for Wyz to create a Facebook connection plug-in for AGS.

Snake

Before anyone else posts with negative comments, may I ask what the purpose of this is?

PS
It's not about whether or not AGS is "smart enough", because AGS is a VERY powerful tool, but if the plug-in, or future plugins, are/will be able.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Wyz

Short story:
No.

Long story:
If you know anything about http requests you can do this with the TCP plugin, if you don't it will be very complicated. To top it off, you need to know how Facebook interfaces with browsers to know how to send posts. I assume they have some kind of API but you need to be an experienced web developer to know how to use it.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Icey

Oh ok,That's all I needed to know.

Quote from: Snake on Mon 25/10/2010 23:57:23
may I ask what the purpose of this is?

I wanted one of my games that me and my cousin was going to work on to be able to post to face book stuff that happened in the game that is impotent like for example: "Ben Jordan got this item" this would be posted to facebook when the player finds the item thus will activates the code in the script + the TCP plug-in.

I wounder if twitter is possible but it may be the same case :P

GarageGothic

Quote from: icey games on Mon 25/10/2010 23:44:03Is ags smart enough ...

AGS is smart enough to know that nobody else in the world gives a shit about which inventory item you picked up, or whether you just clicked a cow.

monkey0506

I'm guessing you're attempting some sort of Achievement system here? If that is in fact the case, let me just say that Facebook/twitter are HORRIBLE at this. Short of an officially adopted modification to the site's code, there would be absolutely nothing to stop the user just posting the comments to their wall/tweeting it themselves.

Icey

Yep that's what I wanted so I will just post it myself like always.

Knox

Quote from: GarageGothic on Tue 26/10/2010 00:22:08
Quote from: icey games on Mon 25/10/2010 23:44:03Is ags smart enough ...

AGS is smart enough to know that nobody else in the world gives a shit about which inventory item you picked up, or whether you just clicked a cow.

hehehe...
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

monkey0506

I think an achievement system for an adventure game is a viable option..but picking up an inventory item does not make sense as an "achievement" any more than clicking the mouse or turning the computer on does. And as I said, social networking applications are not well equipped for this because of the fact that there would be nothing to stop someone from just falsifying their achievements.

Perhaps if you were able to get Facebook to adopt an official application then it might be different. You might then be able to store data on their servers, or you might have to use your own. But if you're asking this question, then, for now at least, you wouldn't really have the technical ability required to even start such a huge endeavor.

So, I think the question in and of itself wasn't a particularly bad one. Just the example you provided and the methodology you're expecting to be able to use are particularly absurd.

Khris

57% of facebook users regularly unfriend other people due to their boring and pointless status updates.
Just sayin'.

Wyz

I checked it last night: the twitter API is quite easy to use, but the TCP/IP module is not enough since it does need data encoding. But I have to agree the other folks about tweets as achievement system. I guess it quite annoying unless it sends one tweet when you completely finished the game. That would be totally acceptable in my humble opinion.

But much better would be: finding a site that does achievements. I don't know if they exist but that would be a good idea. If you find such site, post it and maybe we could work something out with the TCP plugin.

Monsieur OUXX

<hate post>
To those who haven't noticed yet: It's not funny anymore to mock Icey Games. It's obsolete humor. He's made a lot of efforts, and when I read "nobody gives a shit about what inventory items you click", IMO the moron is not Icey Games. Obsolete humor, I tell you.
</hate post>

Having said that, the answer is the same as other answers : Technically, it's probably possible to interface AGS with Facebook, but before you do that you need to :
1. Understand TCP/IP well enough to interface AGS with advanced protocols (HTTP, etc.),
2. Understand the Facebook APIs well enough to program them.
In other words it's very very very hard, if not impossible.

Icey

Ok, I guess I can wait and learn more about that stuff later on.

I should just continue with my small projects.

keaponlaffin

I've been thinking of doing something similar and have hypothesized the following workaround. I'm new to the platform but logically I think this should work.

When one saves and exits the game one is presented with a list of achievement(s) they have performed recently (the game keeps a log that is reset every time the game is loaded). The option is then given to "Post on Facebook."  (these are very common in online applications, I'm sure you've seen them literally everywhere).

All this button contains is hyperlinked text that brings up facebook in the default browser with pre-written text, such as: "Keaponlaffin has slain the green dragon in @MyAGSGame." If you're smart it might also include "posted via MyAGSGameAchievements."

Keeps it simple because one isn't annoyed by the prompts in-game and only one update will be posted for any given gaming session, and this only if the user so chooses.

Why you do it this way?

Lets be honest if you wanted a real achievement system you would upload your stats to a dedicated server. All this posting crap is useful for (and is used for in the real world) is to provide free advertisement for your game. If someone fakes it they are still fulfilling the purpose of providing free advertisement. Also I think most people are too dumb to fake a real "posted via" thing anyway. Furthermore who are we to make judgements on the method of user experience, we are providers of entertainment and the consumer is always right.

Wyz

This has still been playing in my head, and in fact it's on my todo list. I've got a plugin capable of doing it but it needs more work to make it user friendlier. If people are interested in this kind of functionality please post in this topic, when enough people do I'll start working on it again. :)

Snarky

Can you make it post 5-cup reviews for itself in the AGS db?

Err... I mean, yes, I might be interested.  ;)

keaponlaffin

Quote from: Wyz on Wed 11/05/2011 14:05:38
This has still been playing in my head, and in fact it's on my todo list. I've got a plugin capable of doing it but it needs more work to make it user friendlier. If people are interested in this kind of functionality please post in this topic, when enough people do I'll start working on it again. :)

Please keep us updated on your progress, I'm interested to see what comes of it.  :)

Creator

Quote from: Wyz on Wed 11/05/2011 14:05:38

Yeah, keep on going. I have an achievement system in my game. This might be useful.

Icey

Finally, This is something I been waiting for for like ever. I also have a achievement system in my game but real achievement plug-in might benefit the most.  :)

selmiak

Quote from: Studio3 on Tue 26/10/2010 00:15:40
I wanted one of my games[...] to be able to post to face book stuff that happened in the game that is impotent like for example:

Are you making an Anti - Leisure Suite Larry game? o_O

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk