City map

Started by Matti, Tue 26/10/2010 18:03:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

Yes, I am finally working on an adventure again.

This is a very early mockup of the overview map where the player can decide where to go. I am going for a rather simplistic look, I don't want to draw a detailed city here.. though of course the final picture won't look as sluggish and boring as this mockup.

I just want your opinions on a few things for an easier decision.

1. Would you prefer a more realistic and detailed look like the small buildings to the left (below the oil rig), or a more 'symbolic' look like the other buildings?

2. At the top is a picture and a description for the locations that are available for the player. Would you prefer that the player can select locations or that the stuff at the top is only visible when the mouse is hovering above a location?

3. In either case I definitely want to make the available places obvious and standing out. I'm thinking of making these places more detailed or give them a color (like in the picture) and an outline when it's selected or when the mouse is above. Any other ideas or do you think the buildings could use some color anyway?

I'm interested in everything that comes to your minds, just give me your thoughts.

mode7

I like the clean shapes and the colors as well as the overall layout. The oilrig looks a bit sketchy. One thing you should overthink is mixing shapes with black outlines with the ones without them.

Matti

Yes, the outline issue botheres me too and I guess I'll give the buildings outlines as well. I see if I can find time to update the image tomorrow.. it's a bit too sketchy anyway.

Sughly

I like it! I think the outline thing kind of denotes a selectable place you can go to actually, so maybe you should use that to your advantage. Lessen the darkness or the width on the general outlines if you can and push them for the sections that can be visited? If thats even approprite for what you're doing... maybe not...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk