Fans of Andrew Plotkin's IF games: Throw some money at his new venture

Started by Denzil Quixode, Tue 02/11/2010 21:39:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Denzil Quixode

So, I'm not sure how many people here care about the modern text adventure/interactive fiction scene. But if there are any, and you are one of them, and in particular if you have enjoyed the work of Andrew "Zarf" Plotkin (Spider & Web, So Far, Shade and others) at some point over the last 15 years you may be interested in helping support this:

http://kck.st/95Cf7v

At the end of this year, he is planning to leave his day job, and work full-time in 2011 on a serious attempt at commercial IF. The first step is a new game called "Hadean Lands", which will initially only be officially available for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I don't have any of those myself, but the project is not just about the game itself - he is planning to spend some serious development time on the low-level code and infrastructure for polished, professional IF on mobile devices in general, which will be released back to the IF community as open source. If it's successful, the game will be ported to other mobile devices and then to desktops.

There's a lot more information at the link (also see the "Updates" page for a bit about why he does not want to release straight to PC) and I'm probably getting something wrong somewhere anyway. :)

Clarvalon

I'm astonished that he's almost at $20k already.  I had no idea traditional interactive fiction still had any sort of following.

Kickstarter does seem to be an excellent way of reaching out to your audience in order to raise funds.
XAGE - Cross-Platform Adventure Game Engine (alpha)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: clarvalon on Sun 07/11/2010 14:29:30
Kickstarter does seem to be an excellent way of reaching out to your audience in order to raise funds.

I keep wondering if you'll be able to get similar results with Kickstarter in a year or two when it won't be considered something new anymore.

It would be cool if this way of funding proved itself in the long run.

Sslaxx

Quote from: clarvalon on Sun 07/11/2010 14:29:30
I'm astonished that he's almost at $20k already.  I had no idea traditional interactive fiction still had any sort of following.

I'd imagine David Cornelson of TextFyre must be spitting nails.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk