The Agnostic Chicken - The Quest For The Bottle Opener

Started by iamlowlikeyou, Sun 07/11/2010 02:33:52

Previous topic - Next topic

iamlowlikeyou

I have just completed my first game!
It's located here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1376

As the title suggests, the game plot concerns the Agnostic Chicken, who wakes up and realizes he has lost his bottle opener - thus he is hurtled into a tiny, yet glorious, quest for finding a new bottle opener, to make him able to enjoy his morning beer.
To be honest, it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to complete the game :)

The game features giant pixels ala Kings Quest 1-4, but in 16bit color.
I have tried to do a Lucas interface.
Finally, the game features great 8bit music.

Please try it out and let me know what you think!

Cogliostro

The title gives us a pretty good guess as to what the game might be like, but I think we'd all still appreciate both a screenshot and a description of the game.

Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

iamlowlikeyou

Quote from: Cogliostro on Sun 07/11/2010 03:29:41

The title gives us a pretty good guess as to what the game might be like, but I think we'd all still appreciate both a screenshot and a description of the game.

Cogliostro

Thanks for the advice - I have now added a brief description and some screenshots.

Khris

The image host is incredibly slow, try imageshack.us and use the direct link.

This is a short and nice little game without any serious flaws, good effort for a first one!

I wouldn't call the interface LucasArts though; the only game that used a similar interface was Sam&Max.

A few pointers: The 2x2 pixels seem out of place. The graphics style certainly doesn't profit from them or convey nostalgia; standard 320 would have worked just fine. (King's Quest I-III used double wide (2x1) pixels, King's Quest IV has already 320x200).
The interface is also a bit weird; I'm aware that you tried to do a LucasArts style interface, but you ended up with the default Sierra interface and the same cursor for every mode. This is worse than the default game's interface. The obvious choice here would have been the BASS interface (left click interacts/picks up/talks to, right click examines).
Also, when the mouse is over an exit I always get the arrow, however I have to change to walk mode myself, otherwise a click does nothing.

In short, there is room for improvement, but I've also seen way, way worse first games.

Matti

Yeah, what Khris said.

Otherwise a nice little game about a fat weird chicken.

bicilotti

Nice graphics, nice characters, nice game world.

What I didn't like much were the puzzles (a bit too easy) and the GUI (I dislike cyclable stuff, playing on my laptop).

The chicken rocked!

iamlowlikeyou

Thanks for the critique!

@ Khris:
You're  right, there is some confusion in the interface design - actually I didn't think about the arrow thing until now, good point.
You are also right about the 2x2 pixels - actually I regretted starting out that way, but I was already too far in the process, and after all - this is my first game, mostly made for trying out the functions and testing my own skill - so I focused mostly on the scripting part.
I promise I will do a lot better graphics and interface for my next game :)

@ Matti:

@Bicilotti:
Thanks also!
And you're right about the puzzles, but again it was mostly meant as a test game.
What do you mean about the gui?

bicilotti

Quote from: iamlowlikeyou on Sun 07/11/2010 23:34:27
What do you mean about the gui?

I dislike cycling actions (walk to, look at, etc.) with RightMouseButton. That's because I use my laptop to play, w/ touchpad, hence the action of rightclicking is awkard.
Thumbs up for the arrows signaling the exits.

iamlowlikeyou

Quote from: bicilotti on Sun 07/11/2010 23:47:20
I dislike cycling actions (walk to, look at, etc.) with RightMouseButton. That's because I use my laptop to play, w/ touchpad, hence the action of rightclicking is awkard.
Thumbs up for the arrows signaling the exits.

Ah, I understand.

Yeah, I had a hard time figuring out how to make the arrows, but had some great help on the forum :)

virtualpsycho

Really enjoyed it, well done. Gave me inspiration and motivation to get on with my own game.

iamlowlikeyou

Thanks!
I'm glad you liked it :)
I'll start working on something a lot bigger soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk