Below Reality (A long lost RotN game)

Started by edmundito, Fri 12/11/2010 00:58:03

Previous topic - Next topic

edmundito

I present to you guys a short preview of a game that will never be made. It was created by Cornjob who allowed me to share it with the world!

Below Reality
Download

The game features one of the best intros I've ever seen. The game itself has a Sierra SCI-like interface where you have to type commands. Esc brings up the main menu. Arrow keys move the character around.

Background Info:
In the summer of 2004 I was heading out to the first Mittens held in the United States (Mittens 2004: Electric Boogaloo hosted by MrColossal) and I was brining a laptop so that folks could showcase games. I was working on some stuff with Cornjob at the time and I asked him if I could show anything he was doing on my behalf and so he sent me this game. The game was only seen by the Mittens crew, and it hasn't been seen by anyone since. I just found it in my backups this week and asked Cornjob if I could show it, so here it is!
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Kweepa

That's pretty awesome!
I'm not really into the SCI interface, but I could have made an exception for this game.
2004? Wow.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Another promising game that won't be made.  :(

cornjob

Hey guys. Enjoy the demo. It's too bad I didn't get much further on this game than what you see here; it was probably overambitious, but would have been cool. I think I posted where this game's story was supposed to go a while back, but that may have been on the old forum.

By the way, it's great to see RoN still being worked on and kept up, even if new games haven't exactly been released very often.

Gilbert

Who are you?  ;D

Anyway, is it possible to release the source? Probably not for completing the game, but some people (not me, though) may be interested in study the codes for use in their games.

IMO, the SCI0 parser is the besterest interface any Sierra game can offer.
* Gilbet V7000a runs hot and dances.

cornjob

Hi Gilbot, good to hear from you. I'll look for the old files, although given that this was written in 2004, it uses the old scripting system. And yes, I agree the SCI01 system (or whatever number it is) is one of my favorites.

bicilotti

I never really was into RoN but this game looks fantastic!

edmundito

Gilbot are you still using the DOS version fo AGS? ;D
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Gilbert

Not exactly, as the editor had moved to Windows early in the V2 cycle, but I'll stick to the last version that still can output a DOS executable, i.e. V2.62.

For testing and other purposes I sometimes use V3+ though.

DeviantGent

Awesome demo. If you still have the backgrounds, I'm sure someone will make use of them in the future if they were posted, as well as the characters/planned story.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Renegade Implementor

I remember the concept of Mika, Jhon & "the Dork" forming a Scoobie-Doo investigation team being discussed way back when.  Nice to see that it made it from concept to at least a demo form.  I'd like to have it hosted on the main site if Edmundito & Cornjob are willing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk