GUI+MODULE: GodMode 1.01 - See the game through the eyes of the developer!

Started by edmundito, Sat 13/11/2010 17:25:01

Previous topic - Next topic

edmundito

Have you ever ran your game and wished you had placed the character object or gui in a better spot, but you want to fix it without going back to the editor and running the game again? Or maybe you want to play around with placement by moving things around the screen and see if they can look better. Or maybe your testers found a bug and they need to know the proper name of things and want to take a screenshot with a nicer description...

GodMode is meant for that stuff. It shows an enhanced version of the game including hotpot WalkToPoints, a list of everything that is in the room, allows you to click and drag characters, objects, and GUIs around the screen, and allows you to save the last change you made to a log file so that you can go back to the editor and enter those numbers.

This is what it will look like this in your game as long as Debug mode is on:

You can also disable it and it'll be tucked into a corner while you play the game!

Download
For AGS 3 and above only!

Feel free to post suggestions for things you would like to do while running the game. I may add these ideas to future versions! :)
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

hedgefield

Holy crap that is brilliant. Dragging objects around at runtime sounds super useful, I'll have to take it out for a spin!

tzachs

Wow! This is awesome! Super useful!  :D

Potential enhancements for the future:
* Being able to load the log file in the editor to implement the changes you made in the game.
* Being able to edit the walkable areas as well (probably not possible ATM, due to not having access to the mask at run time afaik).

Dualnames

i don't think there could be a better name for that module!! Way to go Edmundito!! Tween just found its sequel!! :D :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ryan Timothy B

You should definitely add outlining to the hotspots, regions, etc if you're selecting that mode. It wouldn't be too hard, it would just take a small moment of loading time while it traces out the whole background and saves it to a DynamicSprite until you change rooms.

Anyway, it's a brilliant idea. Hopefully it becomes quite useful to some.

Scarab

Wow, Edmundito, This is bloody brilliant!

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sat 13/11/2010 19:11:40
You should definitely add outlining to the hotspots, regions, etc if you're selecting that mode. It wouldn't be too hard, it would just take a small moment of loading time while it traces out the whole background and saves it to a DynamicSprite until you change rooms.

I was just about to say this. Access to the hotspot and region masks the same way we have access to the walkable area mask would be invaluable for bug finding purposes.

Just speculating here, but one possible feature would be a way to switch the graphics/views of objects, characters and buttons, by use of a drop down box that previews the image.
This would  only have rare uses in the way me make games currently, but this module could lead to basically all of the graphical elements of the game to be made in WYSIWYG style.

Keep up the great work!

goodohman

Edmundito! BRAVISSIMO MOLTO FORTE!!!

Just tell me why
gGodModeModule.Y = System.ScreenHeight - 12;
complains that the coordinates are out of range?

Thanks!

ThreeOhFour

edmundito

Quote from: goodohman on Sun 14/11/2010 08:59:50
gGodModeModule.Y = System.ScreenHeight - 12;
complains that the coordinates are out of range?

goodohman Oooh! I don't get that problem! A bug it is! Could you comment that line out for now and add this to a room enter (after fadein) event:

Display("gui Y=%d, screen H=%d", gGodModeModule.Y, System.ScreenHeight);

And send me the numbers it displays?

Also would you mind sending me what resolution is your game using? And the exact message of what AGS is telling you when it crashes?

goodohman

Thanks Edmundito.

The Display() is: gui Y=219, screen H=600

(and the GUI comes all squashed and small on the left middle of the room, just as it is in the Editor)

The error: AGS had a problem running your game [bla bla standard] ..
the actual yellow line: GUI.Y co-ordinates specified are out of range.

The games is 800x600 32bit color. My display res is 1440x900 native.

Thanks again!

Wyz

Good stuff! this sure will come in handy in the future. I will remember to use it the next time object placement leaves me utterly frustrated. :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

edmundito

Quote from: goodohman on Mon 15/11/2010 22:57:39
Thanks Edmundito.

The Display() is: gui Y=219, screen H=600

(and the GUI comes all squashed and small on the left middle of the room, just as it is in the Editor)

The error: AGS had a problem running your game [bla bla standard] ..
the actual yellow line: GUI.Y co-ordinates specified are out of range.

The games is 800x600 32bit color. My display res is 1440x900 native.

Thanks again!

Oh of course! The gui system, depending on which version you use does not have an equivalent coordinates as the screen.... I will check that out and put up a new version. Will let you guys know soon!

Edit! New version is up... it was one line change:

System.ViewportHeight  instead of System.ScreenHeight.

Let me know if that works!

goodohman

oopsy daisy..

I've changed the line, but exactly the same AGS runtime error.

edmundito

Well this is most interesting. And I learned a few things... so, 1.01 is out!

First, yeah I was wrong with that fix... that didn't make much sense! :D

Second, I think we may have found a bug (or intended bad behavior?) with AGS in that I can't set the gui Y to beyond 200 during the game_start() event. I have to do it on the room enter event at the earliest. So things should be fine now.

I stuck in a couple of guis resized for 640 and 800 resolutions! So try importing the new version of the module, the 800 sized gui and let me know if it works out...!

goodohman

I hope I don't become synonym with complaints :O

but...

Please note that when selecting a character and dragging him to trigger a room leave,
The game will crash because some of the vars in godmodule are not updated I think

Big Thanks for your great contribution!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk