MAGS December: "Discovery" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Wed 01/12/2010 19:13:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Discovery'

This month's guidelines were set by Tabata:

The protagonist has to discover a strange place which is completely foreign and unknown.
For example, Lucy discovers the land of Narnia when she steps through the wardrobe.

Ideas to help you:

• How does your character make the discovery?
• What is their reaction to this unknown place?
• Are they scared or happy to be there?
• Do you have to help them escape, or even help them stay?

Good luck, and may I take this opportunity to wish everybody a Happy Christmas! I honestly love you all.

Ending 31/12/2010 (but people will be too smashed to realise lol)

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts thirty days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Dualnames

I'm seriously thinking of entering this. I'm working on something already. I'm quite busy with all the other game projects I'm into, so production on this will be fast. I'm totally hitched though. 
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ddq

If I stared a game on the 30th my time but the 1st GMT that would fall under this theme, would it be eligible?

Wyz

I have an idea for an entry but I don't have a lot of time on my hands. I'll have to think about it. However if I decide to go fo it I definitely need some sprite artists. :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Gudforby

Interesting theme. But typically it's the month where I'm overloaded with work...

But if I get the time I'll try to cook up something. Just picked up on some old loose threads in AGS, and I have to say it feels good working with game making again. It's been too long..

Peder 🚀

I MIGHT actually make a game for this one :).
If I do though it will only be something small...

Atelier

Quote from: ddq on Wed 01/12/2010 23:20:19
If I stared a game on the 30th my time but the 1st GMT that would fall under this theme, would it be eligible?

Sure, the more the merrier. Thanks for the interest guys, I have a feeling this will be a good one!

Dualnames

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 02/12/2010 15:54:52
Quote from: ddq on Wed 01/12/2010 23:20:19

Sure, the more the merrier. Thanks for the interest guys, I have a feeling this will be a good one!

The main drawback is I've already won.  :D

Nah, just kidding, you can fight for second place and third place though. And pretend its first and second. ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Atelier

Just a reminder for all those interested, a week has passed already. Has there been any progress?

Dualnames

I did start mine out of all honesty, but I'm having an exam on the 17th so I'm gonna be somewhat busy till then, but I have the idea of a portal clone in AGS. Perhaps I'll make it in 13 days. I've already coded some of the interface.

ddq

I'm definitely making progress. No matter what, I will have something to show by the end of the month, even if it's not completely finished in its epicness.

Tamanegi

I'm also working on something, and I'm making progress, but at the same time am approaching a point where I go "what happens now?".
Also, first game to ever be finished by me. I hope.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

Atelier

Awesome, this is great news. Nice work guys.

Gudforby

Too much work is slowing my progress. If I manage to do something before the deadline, it will probably not be the game I'll brag about ever after... I'll see what I can cook up, but don't expect something.

Atelier

Dudes, two weeks is up already. Progress reports? Here's some imagery to get you motivated:

ddq

I've got most of the engine done, now I just need to fill it with content and get out the rough spots. Which reminds me, I'd really appreciate if someone could help beta test. I'll need to get all the balance issues taken care of, so PM me if you're interested.

Tamanegi

Steady progress! I'm working on room 3 of 4 (maybe 5 if I have time), all puzzles are designed. Basically, I just need graphics to go with my code. I'm sure I won't be empty-handed when the time's up.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010

Dualnames

God is with me. No exam tomorrow cause of strikes, strikes almost the entire week, therefore, high chances I'm starting working on a game.  ;)

Atelier

Well, there are ten days left so you still have time to finish your entries. Dualnames, did you start working on something? ddq and Temanegi, good job, I am looking forward to both!

A French translation is provided where unnecessary:

Eh bien, il ya dix jours à gauche donc vous avez encore le temps de finir vos entrées. Dualnames, avez-vous commencer à travailler sur quelque chose? ddq et Temanegi, bon travail, je me réjouis à la fois!

Tamanegi

Yay, I have off until after 24th! I hope to have it done by then, at least all of the gameplay. GUI and title might come after that.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk