Let's do some [easy] baking!!

Started by Darth Mandarb, Thu 02/12/2010 14:36:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

Greetings.

A few months back my girlfriend and I were chatting about our pasts and she mentioned that, as a child, she always really wanted an "Easy Bake" oven but she never had one (her parents thought they weren't safe).  I thought nothing of it for awhile until yesterday I thought it'd be a cool "sentimental" gift to get her for Christmas (not the only thing of course, just a secondary "cutesy" type thing to make her love me even more).

I set out to search the web (using Google, eBay, etc) and I found loads of Easy Bake Ovens!

Here's the boggle...

I have no idea which one is the one she would be referring to.  I would assume it was one from the early/mid 1980s (of which I found several) but I don't know which is the "official" one (if there was an official one).  So I was wondering if any of you were familiar with these from decades past and could offer any insight as to which one to purchase.

Here are a couple of the ones I found:

> 1983 Kenner/Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven
> 1983 Kenner Easy Bake Oven

I have this old memory of TV commercials for this thing and I don't find either of these (the links above) ringin' any memory bells.

So ... if anybody can point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks!

Calin Leafshade

it looks like Easy-Bake is a trademark so they are the only 'official' ones.

Depending on her age she will mean the microwave looking ones that you linked or the traditional oven style ones from the 60s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy-Bake_Oven

(yes there's a wikipedia article for it)

Ponch

My twin sister had one of those things (I remember it looking like the second one you posted). As I recall, it made decent brownies.

Darth Mandarb

Thanks!  I think I'm gonna go with the second one ... Even if it's not the exact one she remembers fondly it's not like she'll actually use it anyway.  It's more a "thought that counts" type gift.

And Ponch ... I'm not sure I knew you were a twin? I am as well.

Gilbert

Hmmm. Interesting.

I've never heard of these "toys", probably since real baking ovens are a rarity here (unlike the west, only about 1% of people here would ever have a baking oven at home, unless it's a microwave, which is extremely popular, or those weak ones that could only make toasts and reheat stuff and the like) and kids won't care about playing with them. It would be fun that they really work, despite they look more like toys than many real toy cooking apparatus.

Ponch

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 03/12/2010 03:17:07

Awesome! Now we're in the super secret AGS Twin club! We'll have our own secret twin language and a secret handshake! I'll send you a map to my secret tree house tomorrow! :D

Gilbert

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 03/12/2010 03:17:07
Quote from: Ponch on Fri 03/12/2010 04:42:01
Awesome! Now we're in the super secret AGS Twin club!

Well I hope I'm in that club too! :P  I'm identical with my twin bro.

Ponch

Sure, Ryan. You can be in the club as well. And now that there's three of us, Gilbet will have even more reasons to be suspicious!

Darth Mandarb

Is it really me posting this? **ponders**

Ponch

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 03/12/2010 15:52:54
Is it really me posting this? **ponders**

Are you suggesting that we aren't twins, Mandarb? We have the exact same hats. That makes us twins!

Or are you suggesting that the inclusion of Ryan has made us... *gasp*... TRIPLETS?!?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk