Blackwell Deception - Launching today

Started by Dave Gilbert, Thu 02/12/2010 23:53:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Wadjet Eye Games presents:
Blackwell Deception
(Blackwell #4)

The story
Street psychics.  Their blinking neon signs are everywhere, promising love and wealth and happiness.  They make a fortune preying on the gullible and milking them dry.  So when these victims begin dying and leaving confused spirits behind, it can only take a genuine psychic (and her wayward spirit guide) to clean up the mess.  

From seedy downtown nightclubs to penthouse apartments to a luxury yacht on the Hudson River, Rosa and Joey will unearth the truth about the underground world of street psychics.  Including some secrets that Joey would rather be left buried.

Screenshots:

Spoiler.  This receptionist is unhelpful.

Moving on.

A storefront psychic.

A familiar face returns.

A trendy east village cafe.  Even mediums need their caffeine.

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Z5A6CVCME

Demo
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/demos/Deception_Demo.exe

Team
Written and programmed by: Dave Gilbert
Backgrounds by: Indrek Plavutski (InCreator)
Character sprites by: Ben Chandler (ben304)
Character portraits by: Daniel Rubenstein
Music by: Thomas Regin

Also, Abe Goldfarb and Rebecca Whittaker both return as Joey and Rosa.

VO samples
Rosa clip
Joey clip

Conversation clip 1
Conversation clip 2

Notable features:
- Note combining is back!
- Rosa has a smart phone now.  No more trekking back home to use the computer.
- Five individual cases to solve.
- More ghosts than ever!*  Eight in total.
- Part of Joey's secret past revealed!
- Plus all the usual guff - voice acting, orchestrated music, commentary, and unlockable bloopers/extras.

Release date:
October 13, 2011

Be sure to check out the official Blackwell Deception page and my personal blog for more info.

*Legacy and Unbound had two ghosts each, and Convergence had five.

Ali

This is great news, but shouldn't it be in the In Production forum?

I'm particularly pleased about note combining being back!

Dave Gilbert

GAH.  Crap you're right.  Yeesh, I spend an hour crafting the perfect announcement and then post it in the wrong place.  Um, moderators...? :)

Dualnames

The new graphic style is great  ;). The backgrounds are great. INCREATOR FTW!! Generally the blend between Ben304+InCreator+the guy doing the portraits, is really nice :D Best of luck with it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Peder 🚀

Shoot, thought it was released then :P.
Looking amazing!
Kinda glad it actually aint released yet as I have no money to spare atm :).

Icey

m0ds

Blackwell: Inception!

Leonardo De BLOWIE B***H!

Great look new portraits, best of luck Dave!

[size=8]COMPLETED[/size] Games Forum :P

Igor Hardy

So is the game truly already completed or is that just a... Deception? ;)

I must say it's a lot of fun to see Ben's sprites on another person's backgrounds. Like two worlds colliding.

Kweepa

I love how Dave spreads the art love around the talented artists from the forums!
InC getting his stuff out there!

Looks great, everyone!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Stupot

This artwork is the best yet.  All the best getting this 'completed' :P

theo

Awesome! Looking forward to release!

MiSaNtHrOpE

Despite the fact that you posted your announcement in the wrong section, I am absolutely looking forward to your project's completion.

BLUEKNIGHT38

Awesome, Dynamite!  Looking forward to the next chapter of Blackwell.  Good luck.  Great news!

Barricus

Well, I'm psyched!  I was under the impression that it was going to be a three game trilogy!

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Barricus on Sun 05/12/2010 04:39:30
Well, I'm psyched!  I was under the impression that it was going to be a three game trilogy!

As opposed to a four game trilogy?  ;D

Dave Gilbert

Yep, there are few more Blackwell games planned.  I do other projects to shake things up and not drive myself crazy (like I did with ECC and Puzzle Bots, and the occasional freelance gig) but I always come back to Blackwell in the end. The series will end eventually. Just not yet. :-D

And yeesh, moderators.  Get on the ball. :p

voh

<nerdgasm>yes!</nerdgasm>
Still here.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Hey, it's good to see this announced at last.  

Like some other people Dave showed the early builds to, I had some misgivings about mixing Ben's artwork with the hi-res stuff the original artist (Pedro?) was doing.  Fortunately, though, you and InCreator found each other and the two styles mesh very well.  Congratulations to InCreator, Ben, Thomas 'The Man' Regin, 'the guy doing the portraits whose name I forgot' and Dave for putting together another solid-looking and playing Blackwell game! (even if I wasn't involved...sniffle).

Seriously, looks great and I hope it sells lots so Dave can have money for the next part of the series!

YOU GUYS RULE.

ThreeOhFour

I agree, I feel a lot more comfortable with InCreator's backgrounds than mixing my really pixelly stuff with Pepe's high res stuff. Thanks for the kind words, ProgZ, it was definitely a bit intimidating stepping into the animation role after your work on Convergence. I still stand by this post.

magintz

I've tried to type my excitement a few times but end up mashing the backspace and trying again so I'll just say this

:)

:D
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk