Raiders of the Lost Ark - Tanis

Started by quo_sp, Mon 06/12/2010 19:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

quo_sp

Thank you Mad and Monsieur for your apreciations. I noted too and I will remake it.

Mad your solution for paintover of the tent is better than mine, I diden't know how to do it and I think is a good idea your sample, I will try to do it following the construct of the tent.

I have another image.

Is a zoom of one part of the room map and that will be a part of a puzzle. It is not finished too, some elements and shades are missing.

Mati256

Looks really great! Can´t wait to play at least a demo!
Indy in those Arab clothes its a nice touch.  ;)
I tried to do an Indy game myself but with no luck because I am not an artist. I find that to be the most difficult part of a game.

I speak Spanish, so if you need help with the translation I am up for the task.
Good luck, and don´t let this project die, sadly a lot of great projects never see the light.
My Blog! (En Español)

cireja

Oh, what they see my eyes?! An adventure in spanish! Fantastic, fantastic!!!

Muy chulos esos gráficos, sí señor! Muy bonitos! Seguiré tus progresos con atención.

:)

quo_sp

I have been improving the tent background with the fourniture and outline of the tent and applying the first shades, but I'm not convinced of the result.  :(

The sand texture effect for the floor is missing too.

Mad

Made a paintover:

I'm absolutely no expert on two-point perspective, so if this is totally wrong, someone please correct me before I do any damage here!

On a different note, I think the composition of this BG is a bit off. If my memory serves me correctly, this is the tent where Belloq actually stays, so all the furniture shouldn't be pushed to the edge, where they aren't really much use. I know you are not quite finished, so I presume that you'll add a bed and other necessary things.

By the by, I totally love the idea of a Raiders game, and judging by the picts you've already shown us, you are doing a great job. Hope you'll see this through and keep up the good work!!!

quo_sp

Thank you mad, I will try to improve it.

Now, I'm trying to accelerate the backgrounds production. I'm trying to use real photos, modifiyng it and trying that don't seems so real as the original and the characters match with the background.

This is a sample don't finish yet. Left the original photograph, right the first attemps to modify it in FOA look.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I don't think there's anything wrong with modifying existing photos but it would definitely help to go back and clean up parts of the background to give it a more 'hand painted' look.  Right now everything is pretty heavily pixelated as a result of your modifications making everything too uniform.  Some focus on the column and rocks, cleaning them up would help make the screen look more like you'd made it yourself.  Also, some better aliasing along the skyline and adjusting the image colors to match your previous backgrounds would help, especially with regards to the color of the sand and overall brightness.

I wouldn't rely on this for every screen as you're not going to find a perfect photo to suit every screen in the game, but another approach could be to re-use some of the FoA screens that have common ground in your game.  Barnett College is an ideal example of a location you could re-use and make some modifications to in order to make some subtle changes (like remove some of the treasures from the hall case and some of the things in Indy's office).

quo_sp

Thank you PropgZmax.  ;)

...thousen of clics later...

I can not get a good aliasing in the skyline.  :(, any idea?

markbilly

I think you need to reduce the colour depth. You have reds and greens and all sorts hidden away in the rocks and the sand if you zoom in a bit. It's what is making the scene look all grainy...

P.S. The colour depth reduction is something you will have to do by hand by painting over it - I tried in doing it using PSP and it doesn't really solve the problem that way. This probably ruins the idea of a quick method of doing backgrounds, though!

cat

Have you considered tracing the photo instead of applying filters?

Igor Hardy

I much preferred the previous backgrounds - they felt like from a real FoA sequel.

markbilly

To continue my point - this might be a good start:

The you just need to clean up the "dotty" bits. And perhaps even add a few shades back once it's tidy.

Ignore Indy, I didn't remove him before messing with the colours! ;)

quo_sp

Thank you, I know what you want to say. In my last sample the column in the left that remains standing was remade completly as FOA techniques, can you notice the difference between the rest of the background?.

By the way, I have make it a little demo of this scenary to see how fit the characters in movement with this kind of background.  Can be download here:

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=jwczsztvlkc

Sincerely, I'm not convinced of the result.  :(

(animations of Indy are not improved, are only for test)

Mati256

You should really use the same palette for the backgrounds.
See the difference? its the same desert but sand is different.

Still looks great! Looking forward to this one.
My Blog! (En Español)

quo_sp

I know Mati256, last bg was a test in order to accelerate production of backgrounds, but this way still I'm not sure if is a good option.  :(

Edit:
Some quickly corrections with the plains in the front.

markbilly

Keep going with what you've done in the last edit. There is nothing wrong with takes stills from the film and painting over them - if nothing else it will give the player a sense of familiarity and nostalgia. :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Here's a quick example of what I would do with the skyline for a start:

I made a quick 16 color light blue gradient and then went back and used some of those colors to alias around the mountains by hand to get rid of the jagged look.

quo_sp

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 23/12/2010 20:31:39
Here's a quick example of what I would do with the skyline for a start:

I made a quick 16 color light blue gradient and then went back and used some of those colors to alias around the mountains by hand to get rid of the jagged look.

Thank you very much, it is very usefull  ;)

quo_sp

A few more corrections in the sand in front.

Babar

Actually, that "pile" to the left looks a bit grainy...as if it could be a pile of hay or something. You may wish to try removing some of that noise.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk