Raiders of the Lost Ark - Tanis

Started by quo_sp, Mon 06/12/2010 19:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

quo_sp

Hello everybody, I'm trying to make my first AGS game and I'am started with a part of the ROTLA film of indiana jones, the escavation part and the room map. I try to make it as the Lucasarts adventures, in Fate of Atlantis style.

I have the interface ready, and some locations.

Some images

interface

Igor Hardy

Looks great. And I always had a soft spot for FOA-like style Indy games.

Matti

Um.. looks nice but if you want critique on your BGs, there's a Critics Lounge.

And here's the forum rules.

strangechicken

Looks good.. .has that old Indiana Jones (Circa. fate of atlantis) flair to it... I'll look forward to it... keep up the good work... you may if you haven't already... want to get a translator for it... tho AGS is a worldwide adventure game community... a majority of the users would be the english speaking variety....

cianty

ca. 70% completed

subspark

Quite nice, quo_sp.

Only three points, because your lucky and deserve more... ;)

1) I think that because the setting is in the middle east, where sandstorms regularly stain the sky, your scenes should be warmer.

A redder color temperature would help all the sand and clay look as if it's being reflected onto the landscape by the burning sun. Because the sun is so hot in this part of the world, the morning sky would probably seem as white as it is in the film.
I would really make that sky look like it is burning hot!

---

2) Your surfaces need more texture detail. Detail is important when it is necessary and in your case it is necessary here. Rather than a cold, sterile and barren landscape, your scenes could really portray the random chaos of the east.

What you can do here, and if your feeling particularly creative, is paint a small collection of textures yourself that you can re-use for connecting rooms.
You could paint over some reference photos perhaps, just like you did with the backgrounds themselves.
If your not feeling that artsie, then you can use those photos themselves and work them into the contours of your scene using different blending modes to achieve the subtle texture of sandstone and rock.

---

3) To really sell this shot however, you do need some life on the horizon which I think you could really take home with some subtle animation.
In the original scene, there is plenty of activity going on. Hundreds of miners are working in the background. You could really bring this scene to life with a few 2 or 3 pixel sized animated worker sprites copied around in the distance.

Keep up the fantastic work, quo_sp!
Our community could use another skilled artist like yourself around, and it's nice to see a fellow artist who likes to program in AGS.

Take care,
Sparky.

Edit: A quick example of what is possible with a few large colored layers in combination with a few finer details:

Anyway, we're waaay off topic now so. :)

cianty

subspark, don't confuse me with quo_sp. :)
ca. 70% completed

Monsieur OUXX

Looks really nice! And how inspiring!
I don't know if I prefer the saturated colors of subspark or the original faded colors of quo_sp.
But in any case, the quality level is already very high. I'd suggest not spending more time on enhancing it for now, and instead trying to produce as much material as possible, before the motivation fades away. Along the way, hire some talented artists to enhance your already-totally-sweet backgrounds ;-)

Actually I'm volunterring to paint one or more backgrounds from scratch.

quo_sp

Thank you everybody for the support and sorry for my English, I’am planning to translate to English when be ready but this is the last part.

subspark, thank you very much for your tips, it is very useful, and your sample is looks very nice, especially in the horizon. How you do it? Which program you used and which effect for the layers? I’d like to learn it to get a best finish for my backgrounds because really I’m not an skilled artist as you say. This is my first attempt to make a background since I was a children several years ago, but practice gives some results.
Thank you for your tip of the animation, this is a think that I thinked that need to introduce. :)

Monsieur OUXX, thank you very much, and I’m trying to produce all material as I can, I try to advance because as you say the motivation can to be a handicap to finish and adventure. I have more material, but not finished.

By the way I have a video that can be downloaded from here.

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=tv66k2qwfmb

This is a little part of the room map that still  is not finished.

cianty

I tried the download but that site is so spammed I gave up... :-\
ca. 70% completed

quo_sp

cianty, I have test to download and there is not problem.

Any page to upload the video?

By the way the video is a first attemp and not definitive either the animations.

cianty

Oh, don't worry about me... I might just be stupid.

I tried to go to download, waited the X seconds and then was at the same page again where you enter that three-letter code. Anyways, again, don't worry about me...
ca. 70% completed

subspark

Sorry, quo_sp. I saw your name there in the first post, but when i hit reply, the silly forums put Cianty's name up first. I don't remember it doing that before. At least not often enough for me to double check.
Anyway, fixed above now. 8)

I use Photoshop as my main weapon of choice! It has all the features you need to create things from stunning pixel art right up to matte paintings for film.

Again, lovely work, quo_sp. The show must go on!

Cheers,
Sparky.

Edit: Hmm. I'm should see about mirroring that file of yours quo_sp. Some users seem to be having trouble getting to the download without being spammed. It only took me several clicks and I was there so I'm happy to take one for the team and re-host it somewhere on my dedicated server. If that's okay with you, of course?

quo_sp

subspark it is okay for me, not problem.

Thank you
quo

cianty

Yay, I did it! Currently downloading.
ca. 70% completed

strangechicken

QuoteThank you everybody for the support and sorry for my English, I’am planning to translate to English when be ready but this is the last part.

Your english is fine mate, I just noticed some of the screen shots had the GUI not in english, I was just wondering if it was to be translated, it would be a shame not to be able to play it like some of the Maniac Mansion fan games which unfortunately have no translations.

quo_sp

This is a not finished background of the film of the Marion's scene.

Monsieur OUXX

Awesome.
You wrote it's not finished, so I'm not commenting on the complete absence of shading.

However the perspective of the carpet in relation with the wooden thingie on the left (I don't know how you call it in English) is a bit awkward. I think the left side of the carpet is to blame. It should be more horizontal.

The viewer should also be able to see the top of the table on the left.

Mad

Monsieur OUXX is absolutely right about the perspective of some of the furniture.
In my paintover I very roughly corrected the carpet, table and chair. They are very chunky and lack detail, but show how they could work.

My main gripe lies with the frame of the background. It's probably supposed to be the view through a window, but it's very hard to read.

My solution would be to show the outline of the tent:

The paintover is far from ideal, so should you want to go this way, it'll be best to construct the outline of the whole tent beforehand.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Mad on Thu 09/12/2010 14:50:27
In my paintover I very roughly corrected the carpet, table and chair.

Mad's paintover also makes it more obvious that the chair is huge (even in the original drawing)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk