Super Drug Adventure 2011

Started by lilinuyasha, Tue 28/12/2010 20:05:45

Previous topic - Next topic

lilinuyasha

I can Fluently speak Braille. I obtained a swiss army knife...From the Turkish Navy. My hands feel like rich brown suede. My blood smells like cologne. I AM Trey Love, The most Interesting Man in the World.

Matti

Gosh, this is too much info for today. I'm out.

lilinuyasha

I can Fluently speak Braille. I obtained a swiss army knife...From the Turkish Navy. My hands feel like rich brown suede. My blood smells like cologne. I AM Trey Love, The most Interesting Man in the World.

poltergeist

Being a 'potential customer', I'd like to know more about the game before I download it. Post some information on the game, what it's about and what it features; put up a screenshot or two. It can't be that hard, can it?

I've got it, I'll check it out, but I'd really like to know what I'm up against before I open up this 'mystery package'.

cianty

ca. 70% completed

Gilbert

You can check the original GIP thread for more info though. As this is a newly completed game, that thread is not difficult to locate, but it would be a headache when the game is not as new.

Possibly because of the tighter rules (and enforcement) in the GIP forum, threads of games being produced would in general (and are required to) have more information, and as rules aren't as strictly for completed game threads people may tend to put less effort in them. Though this is acceptable, I'd say for better clarity (and for the good side of the promotion of one's own games) it's advised to have at least most of the information in the GIP thread copied to the new thread once the game is released.

poltergeist

I see. Well, that makes sense, though I don't see how hard it could have been to just link to the GIP thread. I have to take the blame either way. I'm new so I didn't really think of checking the GIP forum for a thread on the game. Sorry, lilinuyasha.

I've played the game and I'm not entirely sure what to say. Is this your first game? If it is a training game, then I understand why it felt like it was a rushed job. If not, then...

It's... not good. I might be blunt here, but I'm also going to give you as much constructive criticism as I can.

Super Drug Adventure 2011 is an impatient game to say the least. It's obvious that the developer wanted to deliver a product, not necessarily a game, as soon as possible and if that isn't the case then this title is in dire need of polishing.

It's all too convenient to use an LSD-centric storyline as an explanation for much of the game's 'borrowed' backgrounds, glitchy character sprites and, by extension, buggy scripting and clipping problems. It wouldn't be as obvious if the prime example for the dev's hastiness wasn't the bed at the very beginning of the game - the player can pick up the same key from the bed an infinite amount of times and walking behind the bed makes it look like the character is walking on the bed itself.

Later on, Super Drug Adventure 2011 seems to pick itself up and for a brief moment you might feel like playing an adventure game. Unfortunately, these moments are ruined by uninspired and sometimes even downright crass dialogue. But all is not that bad. One bright spot in the mess that is the game's writing would, in my opinion, be the conversation with the trimmed bush.

As the nonsensical story comes to a close, so does, in a near proportional relation, the player's will to play Super Drug Adventure 2011 diminish. It's an (not necessarily aesthetically) ugly mixture of poor writing, misguided art direction and clumsy scripting. But even though Super Drug Adventure 2011 might not be a showcase of skill, it definitely shows an astonishing will to create despite the inability to do it properly.

So all is not that bad. All this (and every other game) needs is some more time spent on it ironing out the bugs, making sense out of nonsense and generally just turning it into a proper videogame.

Hope I helped. Sorry if I was too hard.

kaputtnik

Haha, poltergeist, I love how you use the game's full title "Super Drug Adventure 2011" as if it were a brand name. I am pretty sure this thread will be google hit #1 for "Super Drug Adventure 2011" in no time!
I, object.

poltergeist

Khris

Wow, that was a waste of five minutes.

Another prime example of why first games* shouldn't be published.

*bad, half-assed, test-the-engine games

Matti

Quote from: Khris on Wed 29/12/2010 16:36:23
Another prime example of why first games shouldn't be published.

That's not a good rule. theo's TJD wouldn't have been published then  ;) Also, a second game can be as crappy as a first game..

Games that are really just a learning experience to get used to AGS, without any good gameplay shouldn't be published.

bicilotti

Ok, the game isn't good at all, but you've made some experience with scripting, which is not bad at all!

Now, my advice is to focus on a very small project: do it all yourself (music, backgrounds, sprites, etc.) and keep an eye on feedback from your testers to see what should be improved gameplay-wise.

Everyone has to start somewhere!

lilinuyasha

well i guess the "one hit wonder" will come later. i'm currently working on something with an actual story line, yes, and going to take my time on it. i agree, it was terrible, it was more of a test than anything. but i'm glad it was the good kind of bad. so terrible, you can't help but laugh at it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk