Quality non-AGS games

Started by , Mon 03/01/2011 05:03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Saren

I am really impressed with Dirty Split. It was made using Wintermute and it's very slick and professional. Great story, music, graphics, sound, voice acting. It's a big download though.

Any other recommendations?

Babar

Mental Repairs Inc. is fairly polished, and a load of fun.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Trumgottist

Here are some of the best SLUDGE games (which is what I for natural reasons are most intimately familiar with):
Out of Order is a classic. You simply have to play it.
I like Deirdra Kiai's games quite a bit. Life Flashes By is her latest game. It's a bit different, and conversation based.
Nathan's Second Chance is another good one, but it seems to have disappeared off the net.
Frasse and the Peas of Kejick (Special Edition) is my game.

--

I can also second the recommendation of Dirty Split.

Saren

The White Chamber by Studio Trophis is also excellent. High production values even though it's freeware.

CaptainD

Pinhead Games have some good ones too.  I think they used Macromedia Fusion (?).

http://www.pinheadgames.com/

I can thoroughly recommend the SLUDGE games already mentioned - Out of Order is spectacularly good and Peas of Kejick is a lot of fun.  Deirdre Kiai's games Cubert Badbone PI and The Game That Takes Place on a Cruise Ship are also very good.

Igor Hardy

Quality non-AGS freeware graphic adventures are very rare.

I recommend:

- the recent I was a Vegas Showgirl - the first full game created with the 3D engine DAGE

- the 2 Nick Bounty games (here's my review of the first)

- and Mental Repairs Inc. (my review)

I need to confess I haven't played properly any SLUDGE games yet (only got the engine working on my system).

Radiant

Quote from: Saren on Mon 03/01/2011 05:03:10
Any other recommendations?

Planescape: Torment. Not AGS, but one of the best written and engaging games ever.

Ali

The very beautiful What Makes You Tick? was made in Lassie and is well worth playing, and I'll be buying the sequel once I have a bit of spare cash-moneys.

cianty

I love this thread. I just played through Dirty Split because of it and I enjoyed it greatly. Keep them recommendations coming, folks!
ca. 70% completed

blueskirt

Alright, let me look at my folder of indie games...

Fedora Spade, if you're a fan of Ace Attorney,
Emerald City Confidential
Puzzle Bots
Jolly Rover
Machinarium
Rorschach (Only a demo but awesome demo)
The Dream Machine
Enclosure
That Night Before

The Dead Case
Peasant's Quest
The Trader of Stories: Bell’s Heart
Fallen From The Moon
Earl Grey And That Rupert Dude
Gretel And Hansel Pt 1-2
Samorost 1-2
Questionaut

Saren

Has anyone tried The White Chamber? The voiced version is about 300mb but it's very atmospheric and creepy. My mouth dropped open at the end.

Ali

I didn't like The White Chamber at all. I love spooky games and ghost stories, but the main character was too poorly written.

The girl is supposed to be frightened by the horrifying goings on around her. However, she picks up every severed limb she comes across, each time reacting with equal horror in spite of her status as a limb-carrying freak.

Saren

Quote from: Ali on Sat 08/01/2011 16:40:36
I didn't like The White Chamber at all. I love spooky games and ghost stories, but the main character was too poorly written.

The girl is supposed to be frightened by the horrifying goings on around her. However, she picks up every severed limb she comes across, each time reacting with equal horror in spite of her status as a limb-carrying freak.

I thought that was funny. Yeah, I'm ghoulish.

Tabata

Uhh â€" yeah! I declare myself guilty ...
.... in enjoying The White Chamber some years ago.   ::)

So you are not allone, Saren  ;)

It was my beginning and reason, why I started my "carreer" with searching/downloading p&c-(free/fan-)adv.  and became addicted.  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk