AGS 3.2.1 Final 3 - Spring Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 09/01/2011 18:59:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

So, I never got round to releasing 3.2 to the website. Then the editor code was open-sourced and people added cool stuff to it! So I thought, let's combine all those things, and a couple of bug fixes, into a new 3.2.1 release, and get it out there!

So my plan is for this to be a very short release cycle. I don't plan on adding anything else to 3.2.1, so please give this a test and see what you think.

Changes in 3.2.1 Final 3:
* Room list in Characters editor now refreshes if you change the name of a room (CJ)
* Fixed Replace In Files adding the replced word to the top of all files (tzachs)
* Fixed room editor property grid listing Objects when in Characters filter (CJ)

Changes in 3.2.1 Final 2:
* Added the new loop context menu options to right-clicking on a frame too (CJ)
* Added Dialog.ShowTextParser script property (CJ)
* Fixed crash restoring/restarting depending on state of crossfading (CJ)
* Fixed Paste Loop not working properly (Tzach Shabtay)

Changes in Final release:
* Upgraded to latest version of LEC template (abstauber)
* Fixed "crossfade buffer null attempting transition" if you restored a save game that had a different current transition type to the current game position (CJ)
* Fixed code folding to expand the fold if you double-clicked an error message that lead to the code (Steven Poulton)
* Disabled Find/Replace dialog autocomplete, because it wasn't case sensitive (CJ)

Changes since 3.2.1 beta 1:
* Fixed D3D tints not working properly (Nefasto)
* Fixed Find Next F3 option not working in script editor (CJ)
* Fixed Find dialog losing focus after finding one match (CJ)
* Fixed breakpoint markers and enabled setting them by clicking in margin (Calin)
* Fixed middle mouse button drawing lines in room editors when it should just display the menu (CJ)

Changes since 3.2:
* Added Find/Replace In All Files capability (Tzach Shabtay)
* Added GUI control snapping, alignment, grouping and locking to GUI editor (Steven Poulton)
* Added loop cut/copy/paste, Flip All Frames and Import From Sprite Folder options to Views in editor, to access this right-click to the right of the loop (Tzach Shabtay)
* Added RGB colour selector to the various colour properties (ProgZmax)
* Added Characters option to room editor to show all characters set to start in that room (ProgZmax)
* Added Find All Usages right-click option to script editor (Tzach Shabtay)
* Added current co-ordinates display while dragging objects/characters in room editor (Steven Poulton)
* Added syntax colouring to dialog scripts (Steven Poulton)
* Middle mouse button now activates the "Copy co-ordinates to clipboard" option in all the room editor modes (ProgZmax)
* Fixed crash drawing GUIs with no background (3.2 regression) (CJ)
* Fixed intermittent crash moving objects and using the Ctrl+A debug option (CJ)
* Fixed script editor tooltips getting stuck if they appeared over the tab bar at the top of the editor (Tzach Shabtay)
* Fixed editor error if you deleted a room that a character was set to start in (CJ)
* Fixed co-ordinates displayed in room editor not reflecting Low-Res Co-ordinates setting (ProgZmax)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/AGS-3.2.1-Final3.exe

Dualnames

Who is that dude? CJ? :P

Awesome new changes, and very smart to mash up all three editors into one.
Way to go again CJ!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Sslaxx

Gonna give this a go, but before I do: switched to .NET 3.5 yet? Not of any concern, just need to know if I need to update the VM with a more recent Windows or not (2K currently).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

tzachs

@Sslaxx: Not yet, you can continue running with 2K.

subspark

Super sexy lads!
Thanks for the official posting Ceej!

Sparky.

cianty

Oooh! Very nice! I'll check it out right now.
ca. 70% completed

Matti

LimpingFish

Groovy! Thanks a bunch, CJ.

Checking it out now.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Joseph DiPerla

Awesome Job as always CJ and thanks to all who contributed to this release as well.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Nickydude

I can't start a new game because there are no templates to choose from in the download.

Edit: Ahh, I didn't install 3.2 first  :P
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

AGS Beginner's Guide - All you'll ever need!

AGD2

New version is great with many useful additions. Nice work to all who contributed to this!  ;D

I did notice a few issues with the new Find/Replace text editor (Windows XP if it makes any difference):

1) In a script, press CTRL+F to bring up the Find dialog. Type something and click "Find Next". The next instance will be found and highlighted. At this point you can press CTRL+F to bring up a second Find dialog. Keep repeating the process to open infinite Find dialogs.

2) An option to use the previous functionality would be handy. That is, being able to disable the semi-transparent window and making the Find dialog retain focus after finding an instance. In the latter case, you used to be able to quickly press ESC after finding an instance to close the dialog. Now you always have to manually click it closed.

3) Bring up the Find dialog and then navigate away to another program on the taskbar. The Find dialog will be have priority, appearing in front of the new program's window.

4) Searching for an instance with "Current Project" selected doesn't seem to do anything. Should it be opening all .asc files in the editor where it finds the search term?

5) In your global script, search for a common instance like "int". It will be found. Close the Find dialog and re-open it again by pressing CTRL+F. Type something like "gsdsfsfs". It won't be found. Close the Find dialog and open it again with CTRL+F. In the "Search For" box will be the last found term ("int") rather than the last term searched for ("gsdsfsfs"), which is the way it has always worked in the past.

Calin Leafshade

Something occurs to me, shouldnt the help file be open sourced too? Otherwise its not going to match the editor when people edit stuff.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

That's something I was thinking about as well.  I wanted to distribute an updated help file but since I couldn't update it there wasn't much point :).  Granted, there isn't much we can do in the editor that desperately needs documentation in the help file, but I'm sure some adjustments are warranted.

Nice release!  I wonder who those wonderful people were who made all these changes...  :-*

Edit:  Looks like some 'border color' property was removed.  Is there any way to regress a game compiled with this property to work with the latest beta?

Calin Leafshade

Yes, open the AGF file with an xml editor (or just a text editor) and remove the offending properties entirely.

All the color properties with an underscore in have been removed i think.
The functionality has been retained in the editor but the properties have been replaced with converters in the properties grid.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Pumaman

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 12/01/2011 04:42:24
I did notice a few issues with the new Find/Replace text editor (Windows XP if it makes any difference):

Thanks for the feedback!
tzachs, would you have time to look into these?

QuoteSomething occurs to me, shouldnt the help file be open sourced too? Otherwise its not going to match the editor when people edit stuff.

Good point, I'll do that.

tzachs

That's some excellent feedback, AGD2, thank you!
I believe I've fixed all of the issues.

Pumaman, the question is, now, what to do?
As 'guest' I don't (and shouldn't) have permissions to commit my changes.
Should I create myself a branch and you'll do the merge?
Or do you have something else in mind?

subspark

Yes, how exactly do we go about receiving our individual logins for the SVN?

Another thing that desperately need fixing is the 32-Bit inventory icon sprites still getting drawn black under both DirectDraw5 and DX9.
Any word on this?

Cheers,
Sparky.

Pumaman

Quote from: tzachs on Thu 13/01/2011 00:03:10
Pumaman, the question is, now, what to do?
As 'guest' I don't (and shouldn't) have permissions to commit my changes.
Should I create myself a branch and you'll do the merge?
Or do you have something else in mind?

Thanks for your fixes!

I've created a dev branch in /branches/dev/3.2.1
You are free to commit to this branch, and we can then review the code changes before merging into the trunk.

tzachs and Calin, I've sent you guys SVN login details.
If anyone else needs a login, we can discuss it as and when the need arises.
However, please discuss planned changes on this forum before checking them in to the dev branch, so that we can keep track of what's going on.

Calin Leafshade

Thanks Pumaman.

There's actually not much else I have the expertise to do on the editor. I'm ok at editing existing functionality but I'm not an experienced enough programmer to add new stuff so I'll leave all future edits to Tzachs (except bug fixes and other things related to the things I have already coded)

However, having said that, here is a list of things I think it would be nice to add:

Spell check for strings (I recommend Hunspell as the engine)
Global undo/redo with more than 1 step back for all editor functions
a revamp of the user preferences to make it more flexible.
maybe a revamp of the view editor with drag and drop and stuff.

probably plus more than i cant think of.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Thu 13/01/2011 22:45:16
Spell check for strings
If this also worked with dialogs I would definitely find this to be a handy feature. With the option to turn off the spell checker and perhaps even the option of selecting different languages over time.

cianty

Any chance you can work folders for rooms into the editor? To me it is THE most lacking feature of the editor.
Having tried the new version I must say I really find the character preview very useful.
ca. 70% completed

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Folders for rooms and characters were two things I considered doing but I didn't want to get into creating content that had to be stored within the game file.  I didn't really look at the folder creation in the editor since I was busy with other things, though.

Glad you like the character preview!  Eventually, I'd like to add a right-click option for each of the room views so you can enable more than one at a time, but that would take a redesign of how room edit actually works.  It would still be an incredibly useful feature to be able to display characters, objects, and walkable areas, hotspots and regions at once, though.  The value of being able to place them relative each other alone, not to mention being able to see where everything fits together, would be worth some added effort.

tzachs

Thanks Pumaman!
I have committed my changes to the branch.
I think it went ok, though I got these errors which I'm not really sure what they mean (I'm using the UI of tortoise svn):

post-commit hook failed (exit code 1) with output:
svn: Syntax error in revision argument '-v'
The system cannot find the file specified.

So if you (or anybody else) can get the latest branch and see that's it's all ok, it would be appreciated.

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 14/01/2011 13:00:51
Eventually, I'd like to add a right-click option for each of the room views so you can enable more than one at a time, but that would take a redesign of how room edit actually works.  It would still be an incredibly useful feature to be able to display characters, objects, and walkable areas, hotspots and regions at once, though.  The value of being able to place them relative each other alone, not to mention being able to see where everything fits together, would be worth some added effort.
Yes, that's a good idea.
I would rather having it as a list with checkboxes instead of a right-click though, I think it would be more intuitive.
That's how they do it in Game Maker, and it works superb.

Knox

Is it possible + fairly "easy" to change the order of folders in the Sprite Editor by click-dragging? Right now we cant change the order of folders, the only way is to remame them and swap folder contents.
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

cianty

ProgZmax, I absolutely agree. I am very often switching between the different views... between walkable areas, walk-behinds.. It would be very very convenient to show them all at once.
ca. 70% completed

Matti

Quote from: general_knox on Fri 14/01/2011 17:33:19
Is it possible + fairly "easy" to change the order of folders in the Sprite Editor by click-dragging? Right now we cant change the order of folders, the only way is to remame them and swap folder contents.

I second that request! The folder issue is very annoying.

subspark

I would like to relay some old requests back through as there's a large list of still largely relevant suggestions and they would probably be feasible to do now:

A few of my own:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=38690.msg509338#msg509338

And one I couldn't find the original post for but found a reiteration of the popular idea: (was it originally RickJ's or strazer's brainchild in the AGS 3.2 Wishlist thread)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=29527.msg376744#msg376744

Cheers,
Sparky.

Dualnames

Okay, for the love of everything that's holy. Something awesome. Just this once.

eeventAfterFadeIn
data=room

eeventWalksOnRegion (+WalksOff+Standing)
data=region
(tracing the room is easy, player.Room)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SSH

Dualnames

Quote from: SSH on Sat 15/01/2011 11:56:02
DN, you can script that.

It's now whether I can do it. It's that I'm tired of copying the same code over and over and over again on every one of the games. It's not like it's the most awesome and hard thing to code,but it would be great if i didn't have to do it!

Pumaman

QuoteI think it went ok, though I got these errors which I'm not really sure what they mean (I'm using the UI of tortoise svn):

Ah, that was a problem with the post-commit notification e-mail, so it has checked in fine. Should be fixed now. Your latest changes seem to build fine for me, thanks!

Guys, can we please not turn this thread into another huge request thread -- let's just leave it to discussion of this new beta release.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 17/01/2011 20:40:13
QuoteI think it went ok, though I got these errors which I'm not really sure what they mean (I'm using the UI of tortoise svn):

Ah, that was a problem with the post-commit notification e-mail, so it has checked in fine. Should be fixed now. Your latest changes seem to build fine for me, thanks!

Guys, can we please not turn this thread into another huge request thread -- let's just leave it to discussion of this new beta release.

I'm sorry, I kind of didn't notice. I apologize in advance.

Snarky

Calin Leafshade

BUG:

On the room pane in hotspot mode the middle mouse button pulls up the context menu for copying coords to the clipboard but also draws with the currently selected tool.

Why isnt the context menu brought up on right click? Was this a conscious design decision?

Pumaman

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Mon 17/01/2011 23:44:10
On the room pane in hotspot mode the middle mouse button pulls up the context menu for copying coords to the clipboard but also draws with the currently selected tool.

Why isnt the context menu brought up on right click? Was this a conscious design decision?

Well spotted, thanks. I think Progz put the context menu on the middle click because the right-click is already used as the eraser.

Also, with the latest code checkin the F3 Find Next option is broken, I need to fix this too.

Also, whoever added the folding to the script editor, the Breakpoint marker doesn't seem to be working any more, could you have a look please?

Calin Leafshade

Checked in a fix for the breakpoint marker issue.

Also added the MarginClick event and enabled toggling of breakpoints by clicking the margin like VS.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If you check back to earlier versions of ags, the middle mouse has always copied the left mouse functionality because cj's code only checks for a mouse click, and this was something I corrected in one of my two builds but forgot to add it.  I'm just going to paste the relevant code block here with corrections in case one of you gentlemen want to fix it:

This goes in BaseAreasEditorFilter to replace the existing two functions.

Code: ags

public  virtual void MouseDown(MouseEventArgs e, RoomEditorState state)
        {

if (e.Button != MouseButtons.Middle)
            {
                int x = ScreenToGameX(e.X, state);
                int y = ScreenToGameY(e.Y, state);

if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Freehand)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.CreateUndoBuffer(_room, this.MaskToDraw);
                }

_drawingWithArea = _selectedArea;

if (e.Button == MouseButtons.Right)
                {
                    _drawingWithArea = 0;
                }

if ((_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Line) ||
                    (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Freehand) ||
                    (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Rectangle))
                {
                    if (_selectedArea == 0)
                    {
                        //   _tooltip.Show("You are currently using the eraser. To draw new areas, change the selection in the list above the Properties Pane.", _panel, e.X, e.Y - 70, 2000);
                    }
                    _mouseDown = true;
                    _mouseDownX = x;
                    _mouseDownY = y;
                    _room.Modified = true;
                }
                else if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Fill)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.DrawFillOntoMask(_room, this.MaskToDraw, x, y, _drawingWithArea);
                    _room.Modified = true;
                    UpdateUndoButtonEnabledState();
                }
                else if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Select)
                {
                    _selectedArea = Factory.NativeProxy.GetAreaMaskPixel(_room, this.MaskToDraw, x, y);
                    SelectedAreaChanged(_selectedArea);
                }
            }
        }

public virtual void MouseUp(MouseEventArgs e, RoomEditorState state)
        {
            if (e.Button == MouseButtons.Middle)
            {
                ShowCoordMenu(e, state);
                _mouseDown = false;
            }
            else
            {
                _mouseDown = false;

if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Line)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.DrawLineOntoMask(_room, this.MaskToDraw, _mouseDownX, _mouseDownY, _currentMouseX, _currentMouseY, _drawingWithArea);
                    _panel.Invalidate();
                }
                else if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Rectangle)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.DrawFilledRectOntoMask(_room, this.MaskToDraw, _mouseDownX, _mouseDownY, _currentMouseX, _currentMouseY, _drawingWithArea);
                    _panel.Invalidate();
                }
            }
        }

You'll see where I've now added an exception to the Mousedown event so no drawing occurs on a middle mouse click, whereas the original code only checked for the conditions of a right mouse click (erase) or any other mouse click (draw).

Edit:  I've commented out the tooltip because I noticed it has a tendency to pop up and obscure areas you are working on (in some cases it will stay in the same location if the room view is not refreshed) and because I received similar reports that it was obtrusive by a few other agsers.  

Also, with the new scripting I have to say I'm not fond of the the +/- compressing/opening parts of code.  I keep triggering it by accident simply by clicking anywhere along the left pane and would like some way to disable this functionality as A) I have no use for it and B) It's annoying and distracting behavior. 

Let me know if there are any other problems!

monkey0506

What you're referring to there ProgZ, at the end of your post, is what's called "code folding". I also think there should be an option to disable it; although I would probably still use it myself, I can appreciate that not everyone would find it useful.

However, regarding the code folding, would it be technically feasible to implement it in a fashion more similar to Visual Studio? The way it's currently implemented is actually somewhat annoying to me because it leaves the opening brace behind, which if the opening brace is on a separate line looks rather bad IMO.

I know CJ said this isn't supposed to be a thread for requests, so just to try and keep it more on-topic, I would be interested to know more about the technical implementation of the code folding. I did some Google searching but it was mostly a lot of people telling others to use existing programs that already implement code folding instead of trying to do it for themselves..helpful.

Until I can get my development computer moved over (I am moving once again), I'm somewhat limited in what I can do in the way of scripting, particularly heavier things like VS.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Oh man, newfangled compu-definitions!  You understood what I was saying, though, so... :)

Anyway, I don't think there's any problem with discussing features implemented in this version in this thread since they have neither been fully vetted for bugs (the middle click is a perfect example of this) nor do they all necessarily work well.  An example of this is the control-f search and replace gui which after conducting one search loses focus and must be clicked on again.  I see this as a bug, just as I see 'code-folding' going active when clicking anywhere on the left pane to be rather buggy since it's incredibly easy to do; I clicked it about 8 times just moving bits of code around and trying to copy them from the left pane so I didn't have to do re-alignment.  There are already +/- icons along the left; why not just have it trigger when clicking on those specifically?  That seems like the proper functionality to me, anyway...but what do I know ^_^.

Calin Leafshade

Agreed. Alot of the new functionality, while cool, does need a way to easily be disabled for those who dislike them.

This is why I suggested that a new user preferences class be implemented sooner rather than later.

Re: the folding. It's not that easy to change things in the scintilla editor since the code is embedded in the native dll, to which we don't have access yet but the folding bounds might be setable in the current version. I'll look into it.

cianty

There's code folding in the new version? That's great! I function do tend to be very long so that would be a very helpful.
ca. 70% completed

dbuske

I am not a programmer so I hope this suggestion isn't too dumb or not possible.
I noticed that the character processing system allows artifacts into the transparency.
Any editing of the character causes either or both pink halos around the character or not all of the pink is transparent.
Any way to stop this by redoing the code?
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Sslaxx

Quote from: dbuske on Tue 25/01/2011 14:29:46
I am not a programmer so I hope this suggestion isn't too dumb or not possible.
I noticed that the character processing system allows artifacts into the transparency.
Any editing of the character causes either or both pink halos around the character or not all of the pink is transparent.
Any way to stop this by redoing the code?
Nothing to do with AGS. Check the transparency of your images, and also make sure you're using the same colour to represent transparency if need be. Also, don't use JPEGs for sprites.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Pumaman

QuoteChecked in a fix for the breakpoint marker issue.

Also added the MarginClick event and enabled toggling of breakpoints by clicking the margin like VS.

Thanks.

QuoteAlso, with the new scripting I have to say I'm not fond of the the +/- compressing/opening parts of code.  I keep triggering it by accident simply by clicking anywhere along the left pane and would like some way to disable this functionality as A) I have no use for it and B) It's annoying and distracting behavior. 

I agree that we should have an option to disable this, for Calin would you mind just adding this to the existing EditorPreferences class?

QuoteHowever, regarding the code folding, would it be technically feasible to implement it in a fashion more similar to Visual Studio? The way it's currently implemented is actually somewhat annoying to me because it leaves the opening brace behind, which if the opening brace is on a separate line looks rather bad IMO.

It uses the built-in Scintilla code folding; it's possible that upgrading to a newer version of scintilla might improve this.

QuoteAn example of this is the control-f search and replace gui which after conducting one search loses focus and must be clicked on again.

I agree that this is annoying, can someone please have a look and see if you can work out why this is happening?

tzachs

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 25/01/2011 20:55:31
QuoteAn example of this is the control-f search and replace gui which after conducting one search loses focus and must be clicked on again.

I agree that this is annoying, can someone please have a look and see if you can work out why this is happening?

It uses the ZoomToFile method which activates the script editor.
We could have made the dialog re-activate itself, but the problem is that the ZoomToFile uses a timer so it overrides the editor activation.
We can add a callback to the ZoomToFile method, and activate the dialog in the callback, but even then (since the ZoomToFile is asynchronous) if the user presses the "Enter" key rapidly, it has a chance of happening before the dialog activation and changing the script...

Pumaman

Ah thanks, yeah that makes sense. Maybe we could add an extra parameter to ZoomToFile, to tell it whether to activate the script editor or not, and pass it in as False when called from the Find dialog?

tzachs

I'll give it a shot when I have some free time, but I fear that it might not work.
At least for the "replace" functionality, I think that activating the script editor is a must, no?

Pumaman

The script editor has to be the active control within the main editor form, but the main editor form doesn't need to be the ActiveForm in the application, I think.

Before it does the actual replace it can switch the focus to the editor window, but it needs to switch it back to the popup dialog before control is returned to the user, I think.

Pumaman

Ok, this is now fixed and I have uploaded an RC 1 release with the latest changes.

I am planning for this to become the official 3.2.1 release to the website unless anyone finds any bugs now, so please give it a test!

Calin Leafshade

CJ, you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=42768.msg568356#msg568356

I've narrowed the problem down to the fading function so perhaps you can see an easy fix for this version. Its an often requested fix.

monkey0506

I have no idea when it arose, but there's a bug in the Find/Replace dialog..if you search for a string, say, "string" and then later try to search for a variant capitalization of the same string, for example, "String", then as soon as you click/tab away from the "Find" text-box, the new string will be replaced by the old string.

Basically, if you search for "string" then you can never, ever use the Find/Replace dialog to then look for "String" instead (without being forced to use a case-insensitive search of course). The Find/Replace cache is persisted into the system memory, so the problem itself persists not only when closing and reopening the editor, but even when opening a new project!

For my own purposes, simply disabling the case-sensitivity was enough to find and replace what I was renaming, but it's rather frustrating that the cache itself is case-insensitive.

P.S. Is there a free SVN program that can be easily integrated/interoperated with VS Express (2008 or 2010)? I would like to start taking a look at the latest branch of the source, but I've been coming up empty-handed in my search for a program..

Sslaxx

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 09/02/2011 19:39:15
P.S. Is there a free SVN program that can be easily integrated/interoperated with VS Express (2008 or 2010)? I would like to start taking a look at the latest branch of the source, but I've been coming up empty-handed in my search for a program..
TortoiseSVN doesn't work for you?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Calin Leafshade

I have no idea when it arose, but there's a bug in the Find/Replace dialog..if you search for a string, say, "string" and then later try to search for a variant capitalization of the same string, for example, "String", then as soon as you click/tab away from the "Find" text-box, the new string will be replaced by the old string.

Known bug. See Tzach's comments in his dev thread.

It basically because combo boxes cannot be case sensitive (IIRC).

barefoot

Hi guys

can 3.2.1 still open and play 3.2 without fault?

cheers

barefoor
I May Not Be Perfect but I Have A Big Heart ..

Sslaxx

Quote from: barefoot on Wed 09/02/2011 21:02:52
Hi guys

can 3.2.1 still open and play 3.2 without fault?

cheers

barefoor
If you mean 3.2 projects, 3.2.1 opens them with no problems. Don't expect the other way around to work though.

I also propose calling this version 3.3, as a minor version number increment might make people think that projects saved in 3.2.1 as it stands would work with 3.2.0.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Pumaman

Basically, if you search for "string" then you can never, ever use the Find/Replace dialog to then look for "String" instead (without being forced to use a case-insensitive search of course). The Find/Replace cache is persisted into the system memory, so the problem itself persists not only when closing and reopening the editor, but even when opening a new project!

Agreed, I think this is annoying enough to disable the autocomplete in the combobox, so I will do so.

QuoteP.S. Is there a free SVN program that can be easily integrated/interoperated with VS Express (2008 or 2010)? I would like to start taking a look at the latest branch of the source, but I've been coming up empty-handed in my search for a program..

VisualSVN will integrate but I think it's a paid-for product.
Otherwise just use Tortoise SVN to get the code onto your hard drive, and open it locally with VS.

monkey0506

I've actually managed to create a custom class based on one I found online that enables case-sensitivity, but for some reason I can't get it working if previous searches are added to the combobox in the FindReplaceDialog constructor. I can create my own cache of searches while the dialog is open and the case-sensitivity works fine, but with the items being added from the constructor it breaks. I could be overlooking something, would anyone like to take a look at the files I'm working with?

Worst case scenario I'd say no persisting cache would be a more user-friendly route than no autocomplete at all.

Edit: I've updated the code based on a newer version of the script from that same user. The autocomplete cache itself is still case-insensitive, but it is possible to type variants which are added to the combobox as appropriate. I'm looking into ways that I might be able to dynamically remove variant capitalizations from the autocomplete cache.

Oh, and TortoiseSVN works fine. I'd seen it mentioned in a couple places but somehow always managed to fail to actually look it up. One more thing though, would it be possible for me to get a unique login so that I can check changes into the branch?

tzachs

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 08/02/2011 20:57:25
Ok, this is now fixed and I have uploaded an RC 1 release with the latest changes.

I am planning for this to become the official 3.2.1 release to the website unless anyone finds any bugs now, so please give it a test!

Tested the fix and it works superbly!

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 10/02/2011 23:49:51
I've actually managed to create a custom class based on one I found online that enables case-sensitivity, but for some reason I can't get it working if previous searches are added to the combobox in the FindReplaceDialog constructor. I can create my own cache of searches while the dialog is open and the case-sensitivity works fine, but with the items being added from the constructor it breaks. I could be overlooking something, would anyone like to take a look at the files I'm working with?
If this is still relevant I can take a look at it.

hedgefield

Tried it out for a few days and so far it works perfectly. Flipping entire View rows is such a lifesaver on my current project! Mass replacing/reloading a group of sprites would be fantastic too. And one thing I noticed is if you collapse the code and there is an error at build time, doubleclicking it won't expand the collapsed code, so you have to go look where the error is referring to.

Calin Leafshade

Ah yea, i thought that might be a problem. I will take a look at that soon.

Thanks for the bug report.

hedgefield

Cool. Oh and another thing I just encountered related to that: adding a new piece of interaction code from the room editor like 'player walks onto region' or 'any click on hotspot' expands everything in the room script, regardless of whether it has to do with the code block you just added or not.

monkey0506

@tzachs:

The particular problem that you quoted is no longer relevant, but if you read my edit from that post you'll see where I'm at with it right now.

Basically I can make the combobox stop replacing the text if you type in a variant capitalization, but I cannot get the autocomplete cache to show the items properly (I believe it will search the items from the top of the list and suggest/display the first case-insensitive match).

My attempts to dynamically alter the autocomplete cache have been unsuccessful (errors ranging from "Attempted to read or write protected memory" to simply voiding out anything you attempted to type in the combobox). It seems that the autocomplete collection does not like to be modified while the combobox is active (has focus). If you know anything more about this than I do, feel free to help me out, or just toss it in yourself.

I'll PM you the modified files later.

Calin Leafshade

Checked in a fix for the folding/debugger issue.

AGD2

There's a problem I've been experiencing with 3.2 that I don't think occurred before.  The issue is that Theora movie files with the audio track encoded into the movie file stutter very badly. Every few seconds, the movie playback in AGS seems to freeze for a moment, the audio gets stuck in a glitch, and then the movie/audio continues.

On the other hand, if I encode the Theora video and play the audio track separately using the engine, the video stream still stutters but the audio doesn't. This results in the video and audio tracks losing sync.

I'm running an iCore7 system with a GTX295 video card, which is speedy, so it should have no problems with Theora playback. Also, it doesn't matter if the game is running with a graphics filter or no filter, in DirectDraw or Direct3D mode, or at 320x200 or 640x400, as I always get the same results.

I've tried encoding the Theora videos at various settings and bitrates with different encoders (normally, I use ffmpeg2theora), but no dice.

Any ideas if this could be related to the Theora player AGS uses in some way?

Dualnames

I found this bug, that's WAY annoying anymore. Okay, this happens surely on both 3.1.2 and 3.2.0. I'm using Windows 7. Okay, now when I compile the game, and go to the compiled folder to test it from, but before running the game adjusting the settings (it's regardless of the settings I set I think) all is well. When I click on compile or build all files without adjusting or running the files from the compile folder till that time, the editor either crashes or can't compile. Mostly the first.

helios123

Looking at the forum posts, I see posts indicating that the source code is now in a subversion repository.

Is this repository open for all, or only for a select few developers, as I cannot seem to find the repository url in the forums (using the search feature)? Are anonymous checkouts allowed?  ???

And as far as SVN support in IDE is considered, I suggest those interested should give SharpDevelop a try, as it has built-in support for TortoiseSVN and can read/write Visual Studio solution files.

That's all for now,
helios123

Matti

The editor source code has been released and is open for anybody.

Edit: I just realized that the link is broken. You could PM Chris (Pumaman) and ask for an updated link.

Calin Leafshade

svn is here:

https://svn.adventuregamestudio.co.uk:7743/svn/ags/

guest access:

user: guest
no password.

If you want check in rights you'll have to get CJ to issue you an account.

helios123

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out the code and have a look.   :)
That's all for now,
helios123

Pumaman

QuoteOh and another thing I just encountered related to that: adding a new piece of interaction code from the room editor like 'player walks onto region' or 'any click on hotspot' expands everything in the room script, regardless of whether it has to do with the code block you just added or not.

There's probably not much we can do about this, when you add something in the room editor it resets the script editor, so it's probably not possible to preserve the folding in this case.

QuoteChecked in a fix for the folding/debugger issue.

Thanks!

QuoteThere's a problem I've been experiencing with 3.2 that I don't think occurred before.  The issue is that Theora movie files with the audio track encoded into the movie file stutter very badly. Every few seconds, the movie playback in AGS seems to freeze for a moment, the audio gets stuck in a glitch, and then the movie/audio continues.

Hmm, has anyone else had any problems like this with 3.2.x?

QuoteOkay, this happens surely on both 3.1.2 and 3.2.0. I'm using Windows 7. Okay, now when I compile the game, and go to the compiled folder to test it from, but before running the game adjusting the settings (it's regardless of the settings I set I think) all is well. When I click on compile or build all files without adjusting or running the files from the compile folder till that time, the editor either crashes or can't compile. Mostly the first.

When it crashes what is the error message?
When it can't compile what is the error message?

Anyway, 3.2.1 Final is now released. Please give it a go and let me know if you find any problems.
If not, this will hopefully make it to the website as the new official version of AGS :)

Pumaman

I know they say that no news is good news, but I'm not so sure if that's the case here!

So before I go ahead and release this version officially, could those of you that are using this 3.2.1 Final release please post your experiences, good and bad, so that I can see if it has been widely tested enough to make it an official release :)

dbuske

Seems to work fine except for two things.
1. The sprite manager keeps flipping the resolution back to 460x400 460x480 after editing the sprite.
2. I have only been able to get 2 modules to work.  agsblend and fmod.  the others I tried do not even show up on the list.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Grim

I think I encountered a nasty bug when using copy/paste loop option....

Seemingly, the loop gets copied and frames show sprites like they should on the screen. But when I go into preview mode, loop 2 contains no frames... Nothing at all. You can see here:

Game crashes too, with an error of: loop 2 does not contain any frames.

It seemed like such a cool option but is clearly broken... I'm reporting it here, as requested by CJ.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 20/02/2011 20:14:17
QuoteOkay, this happens surely on both 3.1.2 and 3.2.0. I'm using Windows 7. Okay, now when I compile the game, and go to the compiled folder to test it from, but before running the game adjusting the settings (it's regardless of the settings I set I think) all is well. When I click on compile or build all files without adjusting or running the files from the compile folder till that time, the editor either crashes or can't compile. Mostly the first.

When it crashes what is the error message?
When it can't compile what is the error message?

Anyway, 3.2.1 Final is now released. Please give it a go and let me know if you find any problems.
If not, this will hopefully make it to the website as the new official version of AGS :)

Unable to register for Vista Game Explorer: Unable to load the custom icon: EndUpdateResource failed

That's the message I get. This appears on the output window.

tzachs

Quote from: Grim on Sun 27/02/2011 22:16:19
I think I encountered a nasty bug when using copy/paste loop option....

Thanks Grim, I checked in a fix for that into the dev branch.

Jackpumpkinhead

i cant wait for a stable version of this
currently on an indefinite hold.

cianty

ca. 70% completed

Joe

Copinstar © Oficial Site

monkey0506

A "stable build" does not mean a build that is 100% totally bug free, nor does it strictly imply a formally released "official" version. Just because some bugs exist does not mean this isn't a stable build. I've been using this release since it was uploaded and haven't even personally encountered any of the existing bugs that have been brought up, nor have I encountered any bugs at all.

There are some bugs which persist from prior versions of AGS that I am aware of, but since I am already aware of them I can work around them appropriately, and it doesn't mean that prior versions themselves aren't stable.

This version as it stands, despite a few bugs here or there, is very stable.

cianty

Does the download link include tzach's latest submission?
ca. 70% completed

monkey0506

Considering tzach uploaded that bugfix to the repository after this build was compiled, no. If you want that bugfix, the fastest way would be to simply grab the source from the repository and build it yourself. Otherwise CJ will merge that branch into the trunk when he has time (presumably in the next few days) and provide a new link for the new build.

Again though, this bug does not make this a non-stable build.

cianty

Yes, I'll definately have to set up the source on my machine some time.
Thanks for the reply, monkey.
ca. 70% completed

monkey0506

It's quite easy to grab the entire source with a program like TortoiseSVN. You'll need Visual Studio installed (Express 2008 is the preferred version) to use/compile the files of course.

Dualnames

There's this weird annoyance, that when you assign some sprites to a view's loop, if the sprites are more than 100, the rest don't get assigned. Which means that you can only assign 100 frames per loop. However manually, there's no limit.

Crimson Wizard

I have a slight feeling I may have asked about this a long time ago, but I am not sure if I really did :) anyway,
I decided to review some of my older projects using newest AGS and saw a strange graphical glitch. I am also using Win7 now with DirectX10, so that probably may be a cause.
Problem is that when I run the game in D3D9 mode some of the sprites are drawn with their colours shifted (changed, screwed, whatever you call it). This only seem to affect Graphical Overlays. Backgrounds, room objects and characters are drawn nicely. I managed to fix that behavior by changing from 16-bit (as it was originally) to 32-bit colour setting.
Running in DX5 mode did not cause this.

Is this a usual behavior for AGS on Win7? Or is it a Graphical Overlay bug?

BTW, nice work with new AGS, I've already noticed few improvements around the editor :)

Pumaman

Quote from: cianty on Tue 08/03/2011 17:55:52
Does the download link include tzach's latest submission?

No, I am planning to do a new "Final 2" build, the only outstanding thing that needs to be fixed is the bug in this thread, once that is sorted I'll build the new release.

QuoteProblem is that when I run the game in D3D9 mode some of the sprites are drawn with their colours shifted (changed, screwed, whatever you call it). This only seem to affect Graphical Overlays. Backgrounds, room objects and characters are drawn nicely. I managed to fix that behavior by changing from 16-bit (as it was originally) to 32-bit colour setting.

Strange, has anyone else had anything like this?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 13/03/2011 19:19:11

QuoteProblem is that when I run the game in D3D9 mode some of the sprites are drawn with their colours shifted (changed, screwed, whatever you call it). This only seem to affect Graphical Overlays. Backgrounds, room objects and characters are drawn nicely. I managed to fix that behavior by changing from 16-bit (as it was originally) to 32-bit colour setting.

Strange, has anyone else had anything like this?

Oh, also, that may be important to add, that this happens only when I BUILD the game in the editor under Win7. When I run the version of the game compiled a year ago on different machine (under Windows Vista), this bug does not appear.

monkey0506

There's a bug when you select to display a room's characters (in the Room Editor). The drop-down for the Properties pane is automatically set to the room itself (so the room's properties are displayed in the Properties pane). That's not the issue (though it would be nice to have some properties for the characters like StartingX, StartingY, Baseline, and a (readonly) Scaling property..), the issue is that the drop-down is not actually cleared. So for example, if you go from displaying the room's Objects and then go to the room's Characters, the drop-down still lists the Objects. There's no crash or anything if you change the selection, but it might be worth looking into.

Pumaman

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sun 20/03/2011 03:39:03
There's a bug when you select to display a room's characters (in the Room Editor). The drop-down for the Properties pane is automatically set to the room itself (so the room's properties are displayed in the Properties pane). That's not the issue (though it would be nice to have some properties for the characters like StartingX, StartingY, Baseline, and a (readonly) Scaling property..), the issue is that the drop-down is not actually cleared. So for example, if you go from displaying the room's Objects and then go to the room's Characters, the drop-down still lists the Objects. There's no crash or anything if you change the selection, but it might be worth looking into.

Well spotted. This does need to be fixed, but it's minor enough to leave for the next version I think, I want to get this released!

3.2.1 Final 2 is now up. Please try it out, and if there are no major issues hopefully this will definitely become the formal website release!

CRxTRDude

Hello, in my comp, I always have this compilation error...

Unexpected error: Access to the path is denied.

Even using teh demo game...Did somebody addressed it? Or is it me that is first to notice this...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~CRxTRDUDE
Comic book artist/blogger/dude/and now game maker...

monkey0506

Where is the project folder? It sounds to me like you're using Windows Vista or 7 and you created the folder in a location where the Vista kernel (which 7 is also built on) doesn't like you using (like the Program Files folder..stupidly enough IMO).

Try moving the project folder somewhere else (like the Documents folder) and see if the problem persists.

CRxTRDude

^
Nope, I was using an external folder (away from C: which is the system OS). And I'm using XP when this occurred. I think it has something to do with the Comodo firewall I'm gonna find out bout this later.

BTW, when installing this should I first install 3.1? Or I install this directly?

Edit: I hope that Pumaman can see bout this... Already fixed. It seems that comodo firewall hasn't considered AGS as a "good" program. I got a workaround on this though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~CRxTRDUDE

monkey0506

Seeing as Ive used this on XP, I doubt that there's much CJ could do with it, since it's not a problem specific to AGS, but your system. There's something blocking write-access to your project folder..or at least blocking the AGS program from writing there (such as a firewall).

CRxTRDude

Well, your right. I saw that Comodo's dumb enough to block AGS.

Thanks for the concern!  ;D
~CRxTRDUDE

monkey0506

It's actually somewhat of a "known issue" with AGS, but it's something that unfortunately has to be dealt with by the end-user of the AGS program. A lot of firewall and/or antivirus programs will flag AGS since it attempts to create new EXE files, which would be suspicious behaviour for most programs. ;) So Comodo wasn't necessarily being dumb in blocking AGS, just overly protective. :P

Moresco

Not a major issue, but I did find an annoyance of sorts in the editor.

If you change the name of any room, and then go to a character and select StartingRoom's drop down menu...it shows the names of the rooms before they were renamed.  The only way to change this is to close the program down and restart it.  It's not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.
::: Mastodon :::

monkey0506

That's reasonably minor, but since it's presumably fairly easy to deal with it will probably be fixed in the first beta (or two?) of the next version. ;)

Tarantula

My apologies if this has already been brought up, but there's one thing that I'd really like to see fixed.

It's a problem with the Replace All function: If I search for, let's say "monkey", and I want to replace it with "banana", the word "banana" will pop up at the very beginning of each room script file that has been changed. This happens only when replacing words in the entire project.

I would find a lot of use for this function... If it was working properly, that is :)

CRxTRDude

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 23/03/2011 07:52:32
It's actually somewhat of a "known issue" with AGS, but it's something that unfortunately has to be dealt with by the end-user of the AGS program... So Comodo wasn't necessarily being dumb in blocking AGS, just overly protective. :P

Well, okay then. I accept your proposition. I don't judge programs that often, it's just my way of thinking that was in my mindset when I posted it. I hope that in the new documentation, they address this in the help file so that other people who have these kinds of firewalls would be aware....

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 23/03/2011 07:52:32
A lot of firewall and/or antivirus programs will flag AGS since it attempts to create new EXE files, which would be suspicious behaviour for most programs. ;)

Not really that... in comodo, since AGS uses DirectInput, it addresses that AGS is "Addressing a global hook" that's why it couldn't run. Plus I turned Game Mode on which disables posting the alerts.
~CRxTRDUDE

tzachs

Quote from: Tarantula on Wed 23/03/2011 08:33:35
My apologies if this has already been brought up, but there's one thing that I'd really like to see fixed.

It's a problem with the Replace All function: If I search for, let's say "monkey", and I want to replace it with "banana", the word "banana" will pop up at the very beginning of each room script file that has been changed. This happens only when replacing words in the entire project.

I would find a lot of use for this function... If it was working properly, that is :)
Weird weird bug, and I'm sure it wasn't there at the beginning...
Anyways, thanks for your report, I checked in a fix into the dev branch.

CRxTRDude

Can there be an AGS Editor portable that can be used in a flash drive? I'm sure that I'm gonna be using that. I'm always on the go from school so I wanted to have spare time using AGS. but problem is internet cafes always restrict setups.
~CRxTRDUDE

monkey0506

I've never used or indeed been to an internet cafe (being as I live out in the woods :=), but do they restrict all write access to the local drives? Coz you could hypothetically copy the files to a temporary directory (say in the My Documents folder), work on the files, then when you're done, copy them back to the flash drive, and delete the temporary files.

Of course I am doubtful that this would actually be viable as internet cafes would probably be too worried about people installing viruses, so they probably wouldn't allow you any write access to the local drive (other than that inherently incurred by the already installed programs like temporary internet files and such).

Calin Leafshade

The AGS editor will work from a flash drive just fine as it is.

Although it does try to write to the registry which some setups may complain about.

Pumaman

QuoteWeird weird bug, and I'm sure it wasn't there at the beginning...
Anyways, thanks for your report, I checked in a fix into the dev branch.

Well spotted, might be a bug I introduced while changing the way the popup worked. Thanks for fixing it!

QuoteIf you change the name of any room, and then go to a character and select StartingRoom's drop down menu...it shows the names of the rooms before they were renamed.  The only way to change this is to close the program down and restart it.  It's not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.

Thanks, fixed in Final 3.

Final 3 is now up, which fixes the Find & Replace issue since that was quite important, and a couple of other minor things.

Now, this time hopefully if no other important issues are found this release can become official soon! There are no changes to the ACWIN engine in Final 3.

InCreator

Tiled sprite import is still quite a hassle. Or let's be honest, disgrace. Importing tiled sprites required loads and loads of trial and error, because AGS acts very unfriendly and every misclick is punished by forcing you to start over.

My suggestions:

* A dragged rectangle (for import) size to be seen somewhere! This way, you don't have to hunt for 0,0 pixel twice, which is absolute nightmare, especially with high pointer speed. Even better if you could manually enter frame size.

For example, Game Maker makes tiled sprite import absolute blast, you don't even have to use mouse for anything

* Ability to resize that whole window. Tilesheets tend to be huge, and it doesn't help if you can see only small portion of it, even with well-working scrollbars

Also on the issue,

* AGS could remember last sprite opened when you press "import sprite from a file" and also if "tiled sprite import" box is ticked

Sorry if this thread is not for suggestions

CRxTRDude

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 26/03/2011 05:00:37
The AGS editor will work from a flash drive just fine as it is.

Although it does try to write to the registry which some setups may complain about.

That's what I meant. I don't want programs that install in the registry. Icafes restrict installation because of the flagging of setup programs. So it's kind of a pain if that happens. I cant even install some programs (although the recent internet cafe that i went to is non restrictive about that, I'm still concerned.)

I would suggest something similar to what open source programs do, using ini's of cfg's instead of the registry; then putting those on the users folder to avoid User Control. Eg:

the ".scribus" is for the open source PDF creation utility, "Scribus" whic i use a lot especially in documentation. Inside are preferences for the program including some variables for the opening of files and stuff.

That could be a better alternative than registry IMO.

Quote from: InCreator on Sat 26/03/2011 18:03:43
My suggestions:

* A dragged rectangle (for import) size to be seen somewhere! This way, you don't have to hunt for 0,0 pixel twice, which is absolute nightmare, especially with high pointer speed. Even better if you could manually enter frame size.

* Ability to resize that whole window. Tilesheets tend to be huge, and it doesn't help if you can see only small portion of it, even with well-working scrollbars

Also on the issue,

* AGS could remember last sprite opened when you press "import sprite from a file" and also if "tiled sprite import" box is ticked

Seconded. I have Game maker too. It'll be very useful at AGS.
~CRxTRDUDE

Pumaman

Quote from: InCreator on Sat 26/03/2011 18:03:43
Tiled sprite import is still quite a hassle. Or let's be honest, disgrace. Importing tiled sprites required loads and loads of trial and error, because AGS acts very unfriendly and every misclick is punished by forcing you to start over.

This sounds like a nice idea, but can we keep it to a separate thread please, and concentrate this thread on the 3.2.1 release?

QuoteThat's what I meant. I don't want programs that install in the registry. Icafes restrict installation because of the flagging of setup programs. So it's kind of a pain if that happens. I cant even install some programs (although the recent internet cafe that i went to is non restrictive about that, I'm still concerned.)

I would suggest something similar to what open source programs do, using ini's of cfg's instead of the registry; then putting those on the users folder to avoid User Control. Eg:

Have you actually had a problem running AGS in these scenarios?
AGS only writes to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the registry which does not require any special privileges. If you use the plain RAR install then you don't need to run an installer which means you can install the AGS Editor without having main registry access.

CRxTRDude

@Pumaman

Well, what does the installer write on? I think I could make a portable version of it. I got experience on making a portable installer...

In fact, I think the rar's nice. But as long as 3.2.1 is still in a setup exe, I'll make some portable for that...
~CRxTRDUDE

Sslaxx

I'm not sure if this is a bug as such, but I've noticed that auto-outlining text isn't working quite right with Final3.

I set the talking font (1) to use one of the Ubuntu family of Truetype fonts, with an auto-generated outline. The text colour doesn't look like it is "filling in" properly using this.

http://sslaxx.twu.net/NotFillingText.png and zoomed in to show more detail - http://sslaxx.twu.net/ZoomedInFaultyText.png - particularly noticeable on the 'l' and 'o'. There also appear to be "artifacts" around the outlined text - could this be an (anti-)aliasing issue?

No outlining appears to work as expected.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Calin Leafshade

Yea, the outline feature only outlines the un anti-aliased version of the text and then the text is anti aliased under it causing gaps.

The outline feature will need to be rewritten entirely I think to work with anti aliased fonts.

hedgefield

Quote from: CRxTRDude on Sat 26/03/2011 03:50:56
Can there be an AGS Editor portable that can be used in a flash drive?

When a zipped version of the current engine is lacking, what I generally do is just install AGS the regular way, copy the whole folder to somewhere else (and also remove the two files in there related to the uninstaller), then deinstall the official install again. What I'm then left with is a copy of the AGS folder that works without having to install anything. Additionally I then put that folder in Dropbox so I can access it from anywhere. I've never had a problem running AGS that way.

Ishmael

On the subject of distribution, I'd prefer a zip to a rar since zips are more universally openable still as far as I've understood, and that makes rars a chore for some, but it doesn't go the other way. And I don't suppose filesize is an issue anymore, as the compression difference is not that huge. Or am I completely missing something here?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

monkey0506

When your internet connection is as slow and intermittent as my home connection is (tethered through a phone which gets bad reception in a trailer with a metal roof), the difference in filesize isn't insignificant.

Any decent archive program works with RAR archives, and anybody who's using Windows to open ZIP files can use the installer for all I'm concerned.

Joe

Don't know if this is a bug or just an error in my scripting...
but this code hangs and I think it shouldn't:

Code: ags

AudioChannel *intr= aIntriga.Play();
  while(fondo.Volume!=0){
    fondo.Volume-=2;
    Wait(1);
    intr.Volume=100;//This line makes the loop hang...
  }

fondo is an audio channel defined in global script and it's properly exported and imported and it's continuously playing music.
There are no more Audio Channels playing nevertheless fondo and intr are assigned the same audio channel... that's why the loop hangs and I don't know how to solve this...

Thanks
Copinstar © Oficial Site

monkey0506

If fondo.Volume has an initial value that is an odd number, then subtracting 2 each loop would cause it to loop well beyond the 150,000 loops used to detect scripting errors, since the condition fondo.Volume!=0 would be true..that's probably more likely why it's hanging. Try <=0 instead of !=0.

Joe

fondo intial volume is 100 and as I said intr is assigned the same memory direction as fondo because when fondo.volume is 0 I can't hear aIntriga that is being played in intr channel...
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Pumaman

We'd need to see more of your code to understand the problem. Is "fondo" definitely still playing at the time? If it's a music channel (where only 1 simultaneous audioclip is allowed) then the new one would end up on the same channel as the old one.

If you haven't solved this please post a separate thread about it, I don't think this is related to the 3.2.1 release.
Speaking of which, I'm now going to make it an official release so this thread is closed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk