AGS 3.2.1 Final 3 - Spring Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 09/01/2011 18:59:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Thu 13/01/2011 22:45:16
Spell check for strings
If this also worked with dialogs I would definitely find this to be a handy feature. With the option to turn off the spell checker and perhaps even the option of selecting different languages over time.

cianty

Any chance you can work folders for rooms into the editor? To me it is THE most lacking feature of the editor.
Having tried the new version I must say I really find the character preview very useful.
ca. 70% completed

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Folders for rooms and characters were two things I considered doing but I didn't want to get into creating content that had to be stored within the game file.  I didn't really look at the folder creation in the editor since I was busy with other things, though.

Glad you like the character preview!  Eventually, I'd like to add a right-click option for each of the room views so you can enable more than one at a time, but that would take a redesign of how room edit actually works.  It would still be an incredibly useful feature to be able to display characters, objects, and walkable areas, hotspots and regions at once, though.  The value of being able to place them relative each other alone, not to mention being able to see where everything fits together, would be worth some added effort.

tzachs

Thanks Pumaman!
I have committed my changes to the branch.
I think it went ok, though I got these errors which I'm not really sure what they mean (I'm using the UI of tortoise svn):

post-commit hook failed (exit code 1) with output:
svn: Syntax error in revision argument '-v'
The system cannot find the file specified.

So if you (or anybody else) can get the latest branch and see that's it's all ok, it would be appreciated.

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 14/01/2011 13:00:51
Eventually, I'd like to add a right-click option for each of the room views so you can enable more than one at a time, but that would take a redesign of how room edit actually works.  It would still be an incredibly useful feature to be able to display characters, objects, and walkable areas, hotspots and regions at once, though.  The value of being able to place them relative each other alone, not to mention being able to see where everything fits together, would be worth some added effort.
Yes, that's a good idea.
I would rather having it as a list with checkboxes instead of a right-click though, I think it would be more intuitive.
That's how they do it in Game Maker, and it works superb.

Knox

Is it possible + fairly "easy" to change the order of folders in the Sprite Editor by click-dragging? Right now we cant change the order of folders, the only way is to remame them and swap folder contents.
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

cianty

ProgZmax, I absolutely agree. I am very often switching between the different views... between walkable areas, walk-behinds.. It would be very very convenient to show them all at once.
ca. 70% completed

Matti

Quote from: general_knox on Fri 14/01/2011 17:33:19
Is it possible + fairly "easy" to change the order of folders in the Sprite Editor by click-dragging? Right now we cant change the order of folders, the only way is to remame them and swap folder contents.

I second that request! The folder issue is very annoying.

subspark

I would like to relay some old requests back through as there's a large list of still largely relevant suggestions and they would probably be feasible to do now:

A few of my own:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=38690.msg509338#msg509338

And one I couldn't find the original post for but found a reiteration of the popular idea: (was it originally RickJ's or strazer's brainchild in the AGS 3.2 Wishlist thread)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=29527.msg376744#msg376744

Cheers,
Sparky.

Dualnames

Okay, for the love of everything that's holy. Something awesome. Just this once.

eeventAfterFadeIn
data=room

eeventWalksOnRegion (+WalksOff+Standing)
data=region
(tracing the room is easy, player.Room)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SSH

Dualnames

Quote from: SSH on Sat 15/01/2011 11:56:02
DN, you can script that.

It's now whether I can do it. It's that I'm tired of copying the same code over and over and over again on every one of the games. It's not like it's the most awesome and hard thing to code,but it would be great if i didn't have to do it!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

QuoteI think it went ok, though I got these errors which I'm not really sure what they mean (I'm using the UI of tortoise svn):

Ah, that was a problem with the post-commit notification e-mail, so it has checked in fine. Should be fixed now. Your latest changes seem to build fine for me, thanks!

Guys, can we please not turn this thread into another huge request thread -- let's just leave it to discussion of this new beta release.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 17/01/2011 20:40:13
QuoteI think it went ok, though I got these errors which I'm not really sure what they mean (I'm using the UI of tortoise svn):

Ah, that was a problem with the post-commit notification e-mail, so it has checked in fine. Should be fixed now. Your latest changes seem to build fine for me, thanks!

Guys, can we please not turn this thread into another huge request thread -- let's just leave it to discussion of this new beta release.

I'm sorry, I kind of didn't notice. I apologize in advance.

Snarky

Calin Leafshade

BUG:

On the room pane in hotspot mode the middle mouse button pulls up the context menu for copying coords to the clipboard but also draws with the currently selected tool.

Why isnt the context menu brought up on right click? Was this a conscious design decision?

Pumaman

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Mon 17/01/2011 23:44:10
On the room pane in hotspot mode the middle mouse button pulls up the context menu for copying coords to the clipboard but also draws with the currently selected tool.

Why isnt the context menu brought up on right click? Was this a conscious design decision?

Well spotted, thanks. I think Progz put the context menu on the middle click because the right-click is already used as the eraser.

Also, with the latest code checkin the F3 Find Next option is broken, I need to fix this too.

Also, whoever added the folding to the script editor, the Breakpoint marker doesn't seem to be working any more, could you have a look please?

Calin Leafshade

Checked in a fix for the breakpoint marker issue.

Also added the MarginClick event and enabled toggling of breakpoints by clicking the margin like VS.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If you check back to earlier versions of ags, the middle mouse has always copied the left mouse functionality because cj's code only checks for a mouse click, and this was something I corrected in one of my two builds but forgot to add it.  I'm just going to paste the relevant code block here with corrections in case one of you gentlemen want to fix it:

This goes in BaseAreasEditorFilter to replace the existing two functions.

Code: ags

public  virtual void MouseDown(MouseEventArgs e, RoomEditorState state)
        {

if (e.Button != MouseButtons.Middle)
            {
                int x = ScreenToGameX(e.X, state);
                int y = ScreenToGameY(e.Y, state);

if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Freehand)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.CreateUndoBuffer(_room, this.MaskToDraw);
                }

_drawingWithArea = _selectedArea;

if (e.Button == MouseButtons.Right)
                {
                    _drawingWithArea = 0;
                }

if ((_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Line) ||
                    (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Freehand) ||
                    (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Rectangle))
                {
                    if (_selectedArea == 0)
                    {
                        //   _tooltip.Show("You are currently using the eraser. To draw new areas, change the selection in the list above the Properties Pane.", _panel, e.X, e.Y - 70, 2000);
                    }
                    _mouseDown = true;
                    _mouseDownX = x;
                    _mouseDownY = y;
                    _room.Modified = true;
                }
                else if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Fill)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.DrawFillOntoMask(_room, this.MaskToDraw, x, y, _drawingWithArea);
                    _room.Modified = true;
                    UpdateUndoButtonEnabledState();
                }
                else if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Select)
                {
                    _selectedArea = Factory.NativeProxy.GetAreaMaskPixel(_room, this.MaskToDraw, x, y);
                    SelectedAreaChanged(_selectedArea);
                }
            }
        }

public virtual void MouseUp(MouseEventArgs e, RoomEditorState state)
        {
            if (e.Button == MouseButtons.Middle)
            {
                ShowCoordMenu(e, state);
                _mouseDown = false;
            }
            else
            {
                _mouseDown = false;

if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Line)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.DrawLineOntoMask(_room, this.MaskToDraw, _mouseDownX, _mouseDownY, _currentMouseX, _currentMouseY, _drawingWithArea);
                    _panel.Invalidate();
                }
                else if (_drawMode == AreaDrawMode.Rectangle)
                {
                    Factory.NativeProxy.DrawFilledRectOntoMask(_room, this.MaskToDraw, _mouseDownX, _mouseDownY, _currentMouseX, _currentMouseY, _drawingWithArea);
                    _panel.Invalidate();
                }
            }
        }

You'll see where I've now added an exception to the Mousedown event so no drawing occurs on a middle mouse click, whereas the original code only checked for the conditions of a right mouse click (erase) or any other mouse click (draw).

Edit:  I've commented out the tooltip because I noticed it has a tendency to pop up and obscure areas you are working on (in some cases it will stay in the same location if the room view is not refreshed) and because I received similar reports that it was obtrusive by a few other agsers.  

Also, with the new scripting I have to say I'm not fond of the the +/- compressing/opening parts of code.  I keep triggering it by accident simply by clicking anywhere along the left pane and would like some way to disable this functionality as A) I have no use for it and B) It's annoying and distracting behavior. 

Let me know if there are any other problems!

monkey0506

What you're referring to there ProgZ, at the end of your post, is what's called "code folding". I also think there should be an option to disable it; although I would probably still use it myself, I can appreciate that not everyone would find it useful.

However, regarding the code folding, would it be technically feasible to implement it in a fashion more similar to Visual Studio? The way it's currently implemented is actually somewhat annoying to me because it leaves the opening brace behind, which if the opening brace is on a separate line looks rather bad IMO.

I know CJ said this isn't supposed to be a thread for requests, so just to try and keep it more on-topic, I would be interested to know more about the technical implementation of the code folding. I did some Google searching but it was mostly a lot of people telling others to use existing programs that already implement code folding instead of trying to do it for themselves..helpful.

Until I can get my development computer moved over (I am moving once again), I'm somewhat limited in what I can do in the way of scripting, particularly heavier things like VS.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Oh man, newfangled compu-definitions!  You understood what I was saying, though, so... :)

Anyway, I don't think there's any problem with discussing features implemented in this version in this thread since they have neither been fully vetted for bugs (the middle click is a perfect example of this) nor do they all necessarily work well.  An example of this is the control-f search and replace gui which after conducting one search loses focus and must be clicked on again.  I see this as a bug, just as I see 'code-folding' going active when clicking anywhere on the left pane to be rather buggy since it's incredibly easy to do; I clicked it about 8 times just moving bits of code around and trying to copy them from the left pane so I didn't have to do re-alignment.  There are already +/- icons along the left; why not just have it trigger when clicking on those specifically?  That seems like the proper functionality to me, anyway...but what do I know ^_^.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk