AGS 3.2.1 Final 3 - Spring Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 09/01/2011 18:59:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

Agreed. Alot of the new functionality, while cool, does need a way to easily be disabled for those who dislike them.

This is why I suggested that a new user preferences class be implemented sooner rather than later.

Re: the folding. It's not that easy to change things in the scintilla editor since the code is embedded in the native dll, to which we don't have access yet but the folding bounds might be setable in the current version. I'll look into it.

cianty

There's code folding in the new version? That's great! I function do tend to be very long so that would be a very helpful.
ca. 70% completed

dbuske

I am not a programmer so I hope this suggestion isn't too dumb or not possible.
I noticed that the character processing system allows artifacts into the transparency.
Any editing of the character causes either or both pink halos around the character or not all of the pink is transparent.
Any way to stop this by redoing the code?
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Sslaxx

Quote from: dbuske on Tue 25/01/2011 14:29:46
I am not a programmer so I hope this suggestion isn't too dumb or not possible.
I noticed that the character processing system allows artifacts into the transparency.
Any editing of the character causes either or both pink halos around the character or not all of the pink is transparent.
Any way to stop this by redoing the code?
Nothing to do with AGS. Check the transparency of your images, and also make sure you're using the same colour to represent transparency if need be. Also, don't use JPEGs for sprites.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Pumaman

QuoteChecked in a fix for the breakpoint marker issue.

Also added the MarginClick event and enabled toggling of breakpoints by clicking the margin like VS.

Thanks.

QuoteAlso, with the new scripting I have to say I'm not fond of the the +/- compressing/opening parts of code.  I keep triggering it by accident simply by clicking anywhere along the left pane and would like some way to disable this functionality as A) I have no use for it and B) It's annoying and distracting behavior. 

I agree that we should have an option to disable this, for Calin would you mind just adding this to the existing EditorPreferences class?

QuoteHowever, regarding the code folding, would it be technically feasible to implement it in a fashion more similar to Visual Studio? The way it's currently implemented is actually somewhat annoying to me because it leaves the opening brace behind, which if the opening brace is on a separate line looks rather bad IMO.

It uses the built-in Scintilla code folding; it's possible that upgrading to a newer version of scintilla might improve this.

QuoteAn example of this is the control-f search and replace gui which after conducting one search loses focus and must be clicked on again.

I agree that this is annoying, can someone please have a look and see if you can work out why this is happening?

tzachs

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 25/01/2011 20:55:31
QuoteAn example of this is the control-f search and replace gui which after conducting one search loses focus and must be clicked on again.

I agree that this is annoying, can someone please have a look and see if you can work out why this is happening?

It uses the ZoomToFile method which activates the script editor.
We could have made the dialog re-activate itself, but the problem is that the ZoomToFile uses a timer so it overrides the editor activation.
We can add a callback to the ZoomToFile method, and activate the dialog in the callback, but even then (since the ZoomToFile is asynchronous) if the user presses the "Enter" key rapidly, it has a chance of happening before the dialog activation and changing the script...

Pumaman

Ah thanks, yeah that makes sense. Maybe we could add an extra parameter to ZoomToFile, to tell it whether to activate the script editor or not, and pass it in as False when called from the Find dialog?

tzachs

I'll give it a shot when I have some free time, but I fear that it might not work.
At least for the "replace" functionality, I think that activating the script editor is a must, no?

Pumaman

The script editor has to be the active control within the main editor form, but the main editor form doesn't need to be the ActiveForm in the application, I think.

Before it does the actual replace it can switch the focus to the editor window, but it needs to switch it back to the popup dialog before control is returned to the user, I think.

Pumaman

Ok, this is now fixed and I have uploaded an RC 1 release with the latest changes.

I am planning for this to become the official 3.2.1 release to the website unless anyone finds any bugs now, so please give it a test!

Calin Leafshade

CJ, you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=42768.msg568356#msg568356

I've narrowed the problem down to the fading function so perhaps you can see an easy fix for this version. Its an often requested fix.

monkey0506

I have no idea when it arose, but there's a bug in the Find/Replace dialog..if you search for a string, say, "string" and then later try to search for a variant capitalization of the same string, for example, "String", then as soon as you click/tab away from the "Find" text-box, the new string will be replaced by the old string.

Basically, if you search for "string" then you can never, ever use the Find/Replace dialog to then look for "String" instead (without being forced to use a case-insensitive search of course). The Find/Replace cache is persisted into the system memory, so the problem itself persists not only when closing and reopening the editor, but even when opening a new project!

For my own purposes, simply disabling the case-sensitivity was enough to find and replace what I was renaming, but it's rather frustrating that the cache itself is case-insensitive.

P.S. Is there a free SVN program that can be easily integrated/interoperated with VS Express (2008 or 2010)? I would like to start taking a look at the latest branch of the source, but I've been coming up empty-handed in my search for a program..

Sslaxx

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 09/02/2011 19:39:15
P.S. Is there a free SVN program that can be easily integrated/interoperated with VS Express (2008 or 2010)? I would like to start taking a look at the latest branch of the source, but I've been coming up empty-handed in my search for a program..
TortoiseSVN doesn't work for you?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Calin Leafshade

I have no idea when it arose, but there's a bug in the Find/Replace dialog..if you search for a string, say, "string" and then later try to search for a variant capitalization of the same string, for example, "String", then as soon as you click/tab away from the "Find" text-box, the new string will be replaced by the old string.

Known bug. See Tzach's comments in his dev thread.

It basically because combo boxes cannot be case sensitive (IIRC).

barefoot

Hi guys

can 3.2.1 still open and play 3.2 without fault?

cheers

barefoor
I May Not Be Perfect but I Have A Big Heart ..

Sslaxx

Quote from: barefoot on Wed 09/02/2011 21:02:52
Hi guys

can 3.2.1 still open and play 3.2 without fault?

cheers

barefoor
If you mean 3.2 projects, 3.2.1 opens them with no problems. Don't expect the other way around to work though.

I also propose calling this version 3.3, as a minor version number increment might make people think that projects saved in 3.2.1 as it stands would work with 3.2.0.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Pumaman

Basically, if you search for "string" then you can never, ever use the Find/Replace dialog to then look for "String" instead (without being forced to use a case-insensitive search of course). The Find/Replace cache is persisted into the system memory, so the problem itself persists not only when closing and reopening the editor, but even when opening a new project!

Agreed, I think this is annoying enough to disable the autocomplete in the combobox, so I will do so.

QuoteP.S. Is there a free SVN program that can be easily integrated/interoperated with VS Express (2008 or 2010)? I would like to start taking a look at the latest branch of the source, but I've been coming up empty-handed in my search for a program..

VisualSVN will integrate but I think it's a paid-for product.
Otherwise just use Tortoise SVN to get the code onto your hard drive, and open it locally with VS.

monkey0506

I've actually managed to create a custom class based on one I found online that enables case-sensitivity, but for some reason I can't get it working if previous searches are added to the combobox in the FindReplaceDialog constructor. I can create my own cache of searches while the dialog is open and the case-sensitivity works fine, but with the items being added from the constructor it breaks. I could be overlooking something, would anyone like to take a look at the files I'm working with?

Worst case scenario I'd say no persisting cache would be a more user-friendly route than no autocomplete at all.

Edit: I've updated the code based on a newer version of the script from that same user. The autocomplete cache itself is still case-insensitive, but it is possible to type variants which are added to the combobox as appropriate. I'm looking into ways that I might be able to dynamically remove variant capitalizations from the autocomplete cache.

Oh, and TortoiseSVN works fine. I'd seen it mentioned in a couple places but somehow always managed to fail to actually look it up. One more thing though, would it be possible for me to get a unique login so that I can check changes into the branch?

tzachs

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 08/02/2011 20:57:25
Ok, this is now fixed and I have uploaded an RC 1 release with the latest changes.

I am planning for this to become the official 3.2.1 release to the website unless anyone finds any bugs now, so please give it a test!

Tested the fix and it works superbly!

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 10/02/2011 23:49:51
I've actually managed to create a custom class based on one I found online that enables case-sensitivity, but for some reason I can't get it working if previous searches are added to the combobox in the FindReplaceDialog constructor. I can create my own cache of searches while the dialog is open and the case-sensitivity works fine, but with the items being added from the constructor it breaks. I could be overlooking something, would anyone like to take a look at the files I'm working with?
If this is still relevant I can take a look at it.

hedgefield

Tried it out for a few days and so far it works perfectly. Flipping entire View rows is such a lifesaver on my current project! Mass replacing/reloading a group of sprites would be fantastic too. And one thing I noticed is if you collapse the code and there is an error at build time, doubleclicking it won't expand the collapsed code, so you have to go look where the error is referring to.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk