AGS 3.2.1 Final 3 - Spring Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 09/01/2011 18:59:54

Previous topic - Next topic

cianty

Does the download link include tzach's latest submission?
ca. 70% completed

monkey0506

Considering tzach uploaded that bugfix to the repository after this build was compiled, no. If you want that bugfix, the fastest way would be to simply grab the source from the repository and build it yourself. Otherwise CJ will merge that branch into the trunk when he has time (presumably in the next few days) and provide a new link for the new build.

Again though, this bug does not make this a non-stable build.

cianty

Yes, I'll definately have to set up the source on my machine some time.
Thanks for the reply, monkey.
ca. 70% completed

monkey0506

It's quite easy to grab the entire source with a program like TortoiseSVN. You'll need Visual Studio installed (Express 2008 is the preferred version) to use/compile the files of course.

Dualnames

There's this weird annoyance, that when you assign some sprites to a view's loop, if the sprites are more than 100, the rest don't get assigned. Which means that you can only assign 100 frames per loop. However manually, there's no limit.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

I have a slight feeling I may have asked about this a long time ago, but I am not sure if I really did :) anyway,
I decided to review some of my older projects using newest AGS and saw a strange graphical glitch. I am also using Win7 now with DirectX10, so that probably may be a cause.
Problem is that when I run the game in D3D9 mode some of the sprites are drawn with their colours shifted (changed, screwed, whatever you call it). This only seem to affect Graphical Overlays. Backgrounds, room objects and characters are drawn nicely. I managed to fix that behavior by changing from 16-bit (as it was originally) to 32-bit colour setting.
Running in DX5 mode did not cause this.

Is this a usual behavior for AGS on Win7? Or is it a Graphical Overlay bug?

BTW, nice work with new AGS, I've already noticed few improvements around the editor :)

Pumaman

Quote from: cianty on Tue 08/03/2011 17:55:52
Does the download link include tzach's latest submission?

No, I am planning to do a new "Final 2" build, the only outstanding thing that needs to be fixed is the bug in this thread, once that is sorted I'll build the new release.

QuoteProblem is that when I run the game in D3D9 mode some of the sprites are drawn with their colours shifted (changed, screwed, whatever you call it). This only seem to affect Graphical Overlays. Backgrounds, room objects and characters are drawn nicely. I managed to fix that behavior by changing from 16-bit (as it was originally) to 32-bit colour setting.

Strange, has anyone else had anything like this?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 13/03/2011 19:19:11

QuoteProblem is that when I run the game in D3D9 mode some of the sprites are drawn with their colours shifted (changed, screwed, whatever you call it). This only seem to affect Graphical Overlays. Backgrounds, room objects and characters are drawn nicely. I managed to fix that behavior by changing from 16-bit (as it was originally) to 32-bit colour setting.

Strange, has anyone else had anything like this?

Oh, also, that may be important to add, that this happens only when I BUILD the game in the editor under Win7. When I run the version of the game compiled a year ago on different machine (under Windows Vista), this bug does not appear.

monkey0506

There's a bug when you select to display a room's characters (in the Room Editor). The drop-down for the Properties pane is automatically set to the room itself (so the room's properties are displayed in the Properties pane). That's not the issue (though it would be nice to have some properties for the characters like StartingX, StartingY, Baseline, and a (readonly) Scaling property..), the issue is that the drop-down is not actually cleared. So for example, if you go from displaying the room's Objects and then go to the room's Characters, the drop-down still lists the Objects. There's no crash or anything if you change the selection, but it might be worth looking into.

Pumaman

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sun 20/03/2011 03:39:03
There's a bug when you select to display a room's characters (in the Room Editor). The drop-down for the Properties pane is automatically set to the room itself (so the room's properties are displayed in the Properties pane). That's not the issue (though it would be nice to have some properties for the characters like StartingX, StartingY, Baseline, and a (readonly) Scaling property..), the issue is that the drop-down is not actually cleared. So for example, if you go from displaying the room's Objects and then go to the room's Characters, the drop-down still lists the Objects. There's no crash or anything if you change the selection, but it might be worth looking into.

Well spotted. This does need to be fixed, but it's minor enough to leave for the next version I think, I want to get this released!

3.2.1 Final 2 is now up. Please try it out, and if there are no major issues hopefully this will definitely become the formal website release!

CRxTRDude

Hello, in my comp, I always have this compilation error...

Unexpected error: Access to the path is denied.

Even using teh demo game...Did somebody addressed it? Or is it me that is first to notice this...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~CRxTRDUDE
Comic book artist/blogger/dude/and now game maker...

monkey0506

Where is the project folder? It sounds to me like you're using Windows Vista or 7 and you created the folder in a location where the Vista kernel (which 7 is also built on) doesn't like you using (like the Program Files folder..stupidly enough IMO).

Try moving the project folder somewhere else (like the Documents folder) and see if the problem persists.

CRxTRDude

^
Nope, I was using an external folder (away from C: which is the system OS). And I'm using XP when this occurred. I think it has something to do with the Comodo firewall I'm gonna find out bout this later.

BTW, when installing this should I first install 3.1? Or I install this directly?

Edit: I hope that Pumaman can see bout this... Already fixed. It seems that comodo firewall hasn't considered AGS as a "good" program. I got a workaround on this though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~CRxTRDUDE

monkey0506

Seeing as Ive used this on XP, I doubt that there's much CJ could do with it, since it's not a problem specific to AGS, but your system. There's something blocking write-access to your project folder..or at least blocking the AGS program from writing there (such as a firewall).

CRxTRDude

Well, your right. I saw that Comodo's dumb enough to block AGS.

Thanks for the concern!  ;D
~CRxTRDUDE

monkey0506

It's actually somewhat of a "known issue" with AGS, but it's something that unfortunately has to be dealt with by the end-user of the AGS program. A lot of firewall and/or antivirus programs will flag AGS since it attempts to create new EXE files, which would be suspicious behaviour for most programs. ;) So Comodo wasn't necessarily being dumb in blocking AGS, just overly protective. :P

Moresco

Not a major issue, but I did find an annoyance of sorts in the editor.

If you change the name of any room, and then go to a character and select StartingRoom's drop down menu...it shows the names of the rooms before they were renamed.  The only way to change this is to close the program down and restart it.  It's not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.
::: Mastodon :::

monkey0506

That's reasonably minor, but since it's presumably fairly easy to deal with it will probably be fixed in the first beta (or two?) of the next version. ;)

Tarantula

My apologies if this has already been brought up, but there's one thing that I'd really like to see fixed.

It's a problem with the Replace All function: If I search for, let's say "monkey", and I want to replace it with "banana", the word "banana" will pop up at the very beginning of each room script file that has been changed. This happens only when replacing words in the entire project.

I would find a lot of use for this function... If it was working properly, that is :)

CRxTRDude

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 23/03/2011 07:52:32
It's actually somewhat of a "known issue" with AGS, but it's something that unfortunately has to be dealt with by the end-user of the AGS program... So Comodo wasn't necessarily being dumb in blocking AGS, just overly protective. :P

Well, okay then. I accept your proposition. I don't judge programs that often, it's just my way of thinking that was in my mindset when I posted it. I hope that in the new documentation, they address this in the help file so that other people who have these kinds of firewalls would be aware....

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 23/03/2011 07:52:32
A lot of firewall and/or antivirus programs will flag AGS since it attempts to create new EXE files, which would be suspicious behaviour for most programs. ;)

Not really that... in comodo, since AGS uses DirectInput, it addresses that AGS is "Addressing a global hook" that's why it couldn't run. Plus I turned Game Mode on which disables posting the alerts.
~CRxTRDUDE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk