JDHD - Journey Down considers going commercial

Started by theo, Sun 23/01/2011 23:08:47

Previous topic - Next topic

theo

A month or so ago I realized I'm an idiot for not so much as attempting to monetize on The journey Down. Thus I made up my mind: For better or for worse, chapter two was going to be a commercial release. After having done loads of painting and some early prototyping I realized I needed a better testing platform for the new framework than a brand new chapter.... So, the idea of JDHD was born.

What is JDHD?

In short, JDHD is (hopefully) going to be the polished up commercial release of chapter one of the Journey Down. A rather odd and economically suicidal venture, I must admit, but a fun one to build nonetheless!

So what makes JDHD more awesome than the original you might wonder?

Well, let me sum up some of the features I hope to implement:

* I hope to have a 1280 x 800 px canvas (depends on AGS development)
* pre-rendered 3d characters for smoother (and additional) animations
* a full voice cast
* more sound effects and feedback in general
* built in hint system for n00bs.
* additional puzzles and backstory.

So what is the purpose of this thread?

Well, at first I was going to create a "games in production" thread, but seeing how strictly those rules are being followed, I figured I'd stay clear of it until I have any real screenshots to show off. So the point of this thread really is primarily for me to vent some of my thoughts on this project, but also, hopefully a good place for discussions regarding the improvement from the original game.

Did you play it? Did some specific puzzle bother you? Did you encounter anything that felt broken or out ouf place? Was it too easy? Too short? Please, take this chance to make yourself heard! I am interested in improving as many aspects of the experience as possible.

Thirdly (is that a word?) I intend to post updates here with new assets as they drop in, to have a nice quick place to receive feedback in.

Kaonandodo's loft in the HD version of chapter one (downsampled). Note the fancy floating GUI!

Wersus

Not much actual feedback to give at the moment (getting kind of late...), but just wanted to say good luck with this. I'm sure JD has the potential to go commercial and seeing the game made in "HD" will be interesting. :)

mode7

Suicidal?
JD already was very professional. With the features you mentioned and the qualities the original already brought along the original might even help to sell the hd version. Look at Super Meatboy or the Monkey Island SEs (Most people already owned the original with them).
I'm very much looking forward to this and wish you the very best for your project and I hope it will be a sucess!!

Armageddon

If you do this I would buy 10 copies. But I think you should make the entire game, and not release it in chapters to buy, unless it's like $2 per chapter I don't think people will buy it.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 24/01/2011 01:41:19
But I think you should make the entire game, and not release it in chapters to buy [..]
I think this may actually be a good idea. Instead of the
Spoiler
airplane crashing scene being the end of the game, perhaps it should extend from there. That would definitely make a commercial release of a previously free title worthwhile. Obviously still adding the new puzzles and dialog like you suggested and perhaps adding different rooms and/or characters that the first title didn't have.
[close]

kconan

The first episode should be free as sort of a hook, so that wasn't a mistake at all.  Considering the production quality of your game, you should certainly consider charging a small fee (like 3-5 US per bucks) for future episodes.

cianty

Of course I too played the game and I agree with the others.. Episode is way too short for a stand-alone commercial product despite its undeniable beauty. Also considering how long one has to wait for the next Episode to come out (and with no guarantee of it EVER even being released since this is no big company) I would find it very frustrating to pay for something that feels like ending right before it starts to get real exciting. Sure, it's good to finish a chapater with a cliffhanger but not of if you spent money for the chapter and would have to wait like one year for the next. That's just frustrating.

I definiately wish you all the best of luck. A product like this deserve to generate some money. And I do support indie games and spent money on them. But I would wait until I see the game released in its entirety before committing to it.
ca. 70% completed

theo

wersus and mode7: thanks!

Releasing the full game in one blast would no doubts make a bigger splash and would definitely justify charging money for it. However, there's no way I could ever scrounge up the resources to build the entire game in one go. Also, in the long run, I'm not sure I'd generate more revenue on one single full title than on the grand total of four separately sold chapters, but that's just a side note.

The obvious way to make chapter one a more attractive stand alone title is to sell it really cheap, and expand on it. Hopefully I'll be able to add enough game play that people don't feel ripped off. I have considered bundling chapter 1 with the first half hour of gameplay or so from chapter 2, sort of as an in-game teaser trailer to make people hunger for chapter 2. Another alternative is waiting until chapter 2 is finished and then releasing 1+2 in the same bundle. It would take me forever, but it's way more feasible than releasing the full game in one blast.

Regarding giving away the first episode for free as a hook, I'm confident the chapter 1 release I've got out now for free is working magic as a PR gimmick. It's spreading nicely, so that was no mistake. However, I'm not sure the "one chapter free" model is the best. Gamers tend to stop playing at certain milestones, and there's no milestone like the ending of a chapter. To combine that with a sudden "pay now to play more" pop-up, I fear may create a combined effect of making the player lose interest.

Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback, I value it highly. Please keep it coming

Ali

If you hadn't wanted to do this I'm sure you would have been hounded by people who love your artwork any way.  I must say, I think the Episode 1 + 2 bundle is the option which would most appeal to me as a commercial game.

Stupot

Quote from: theo on Mon 24/01/2011 08:55:20
Also, in the long run, I'm not sure I'd generate more revenue on one single full title than on the grand total of four separately sold chapters, but that's just a side note.

Considering you've only just thought of the idea of charging money a month ago, is this really such an issue?  Any revenue is better than the no revenue you were initially expecting.

But I don't blame you for wanting to make money for a game as beautiful as THD, you'd be mad not to.

However, I would rather avoid being put in a situation where I feel like I have to pay for chapter 1 even though I've already played it... even if you do add lots of extra goodies to it.

Quote from: theo on Mon 24/01/2011 08:55:20
I'm not sure the "one chapter free" model is the best. Gamers tend to stop playing at certain milestones, and there's no milestone like the ending of a chapter.

I don't think I agree.  I mean, of course there will be players who download chapter one because it's free and then not go on to play the others... but if you were to charge for it, those same people would be the first not to buy it.  At least by giving it away free you have a hook.  And at least some of them will go on to by the remaining chapters.

Take a look at The Dream Machine.  They have a system where chapter 1 is free and you can then choose to buy the remaining capters individually, or pay for them all up front for a discount.  I have pre-ordered the whole bundle, and I can tell you honestly that I would not have handed over a single penny had I not been able to play Chapter 1 first.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

ddq

I've always liked "pay what you want" pricing schemes. They cater to both the generous and the cheap-asses, and there's a lot of flexibility. I'd prefer that to a very low fixed price, especially with short, spaced-out episodes.

Armageddon

Quote from: theo on Mon 24/01/2011 08:55:20Another alternative is waiting until chapter 2 is finished and then releasing 1+2 in the same bundle.

I'd say this is the best choice, because it would take longer, people that have played the first chapter when it released would have probably forgotten what happened, and want to replay it just so they know where it ended how how it will begin in chapter 2. They would also get a whole new experience along with it. With new puzzles, voice acting, and on top of that, hi-res backgrounds. Plus they wouldn't be left with the same cliffhanger AGAIN.

If AGS worked on Mac and Linux I would defiantly go for the Pay-What-You-Want thing. Because I've seen it on dozens of indy title use that, and Mac and Linux people aren't cheap ass like most of the Windows crowd.

cianty

Totally agree with Armageddon. That's good point about long time, forgetting etc.
ca. 70% completed

theo

Stupot: I think the free chapter thing has a lot going for it but I do not believe the TDM solution to be an optimal one. I personally would have chopped it off right before the chapters end, alternatively let the player try out the next chapter a bit before being told to pay up. (sor of like a soap opera "on the next episode of ...")For the very simple reason that a player is more prone to continue when engrossed in something. Anyhow, I certainly see your point about not wanting to pay for something you've more or less already received for free. It makes perfect sense. I thank you for your opinion:)

cianty + ddq: That's actually a really interesting idea. The thought had not crossed my mind.

Ali + armageddon: Agreed. I like this thought. It would make a very nice package. It is however quite daunting. I've come quite far on chapter two, but having both of them finished will not happen any time soon.

The pump (smoke and water will be replaced by animation)

Armageddon

I noticed in you're first hi-res background in the loft. It seems like there are a lot of hard and defined lines on the textures and thing. But at the gas dock it looks like everything is really soft and smooth. Probably not a problem, just looks a little strange to me. :P

Igor Hardy

At the moment I'd suggest against remaking Episode 1 or going HD with extra visual detail. It would slow down your creation of new episodes to the extreme. As a point of reference, Machinarium is a hi-res visually beautiful game which was created by a very small indie team, but they were working full time for 3 years on it!

I'm not even sure the additional work would sufficiently pay off - especially for Over The Edge. Most adventure games fans are not this demanding in terms of high resolution and super-polished graphics (or having every little bit of gameplay perfect). They would rather have more TJD episodes to play and the whole story to experience.

Perhaps with relatively small amount of pain you could up the resolution of Episode 2 to 640x480 (or 640x400), record good voice-overs both for it and for OTE (extremely important to have them right), release the two as a bundle for an attractive price, or give out the voiced OTE as a promotional episode, and most of your target audience will be sufficiently in awe to buy new chapters.

But once you release the whole 4 episode series and have already a good reputation built for it - THEN would be a good time to consider doing a more detailed HD version (if you'll still be interested in that) - mostly to expand the audience to include people who wouldn't have heard of TJD when it was starting up.

Matti

I loved the first chapter and since your style fits nicely with a higher resolution (the two BGs look very nice!) I'd really like to play through it again, but I'm not sure that a higher res and some additional puzzles would make me want to buy the game.

I think the idea of a chapter 1+2 bundle is perfect. The points very already made and I can't add much to it but I'd definitely pay around 10 bucks for that bundle. Also, I'm eagerly awaiting chapter 2!

I agree with Armageddon that the first screenie looks sharper than the second one. I'd make it a bit smoother to resemble the other.

Anyway, good luck with this and keep up the great work.

Chicky

Good shout, who cares if the game was already free. It's HD with 3D rendered characters, that's badass. Whack that badboy on xbox live and PSN. My cash is already yours, £15 pre-order for the first two episodes?

CaptainD

Just to add my vote to the episode1+2 idea - with the extra / updated features it should certainly be enough to make fans of the game buy it.  Certainly more people would buy that than simply an enhanced episode one (though I think there are definitely a number of people who would buy that).  If you could bring the storyline to a logical end in your first game, but with an obvious launching point for game 2 (originally your episodes 3+4), that would be the best option IMHO.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Having worked on commercial adventure games, all I can do is wish you all the best!  It's not an easy way to make money today, but if you believe in your product and your story (and don't expect to strike it rich) then you should do okay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk