MAGS February: "Submerged" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Wed 02/02/2011 18:49:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Submerged'

This month's guidelines were set by Tamanegi:

Make a game that takes place under water.

Ideas to help you:

• Is it Atlantis?
• Does the water influence gameplay?

Ending 28/2/2011

PS. The MAGS site is down so I can't begin voting or process entries just yet for January.

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

None

How strict is the 'submerged' guideline.

For instance in 'The Day After Tomorrow' movie, the city is submerged under water but they spend very little of the actual movie 'in' the water.  It's more like they're isolated by it.

So for example would say someone trapped on an island?
Or stuck in a town with flooded roads count?

Would a trip on a cruise liner count? Or would it have to be a submarine.

Just want to clarify this point, before I put in any effort on a plot.

~<3 thanks heaps.

Chicky

I'm pretty sure you have to 'make a game that takes place under water'  :=

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Chicky on Wed 02/02/2011 19:55:50

I say, if there's some at least a bit wet spot in the game, the whole can already count as "submerged". :)

Zetsaika

Underwater? I will take a shot.   ;D
I sure to make something with Penguins.
"In the longest day, in the shortest night. No Zombie shall escape my sight."

DuncanFx

February is a rather busy month for me, but I really want to keep the momentum of my AGS learnin', so will probably make something for this - perhaps just a 1 or 2 room offering.

Atelier

Quote from: charlescreations on Wed 02/02/2011 19:44:35
How strict is the 'submerged' guideline.

For instance in 'The Day After Tomorrow' movie, the city is submerged under water but they spend very little of the actual movie 'in' the water.  It's more like they're isolated by it.

It can be anything as long as at least part of it takes places under water. Perhaps you're in a submarine, or Atlantis, or perhaps you're a mermaid.

WHAM

I just had a vision! I've never participated in a MAGS before, but darn it, I WILL try!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Calin Leafshade

Bah, damnit.

I have such a great idea for this but i have McCarthy and my other project to write.

Stupid MAGS

Atelier

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 03/02/2011 07:06:26
I just had a vision! I've never participated in a MAGS before, but darn it, I WILL try!

Great ;D

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Thu 03/02/2011 07:14:09
Yay, awesome.

I have such a great idea for this so i dropped McCarthy and my other project to write it.

MAGS is excellent!

Woo :D

Tamanegi

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Thu 03/02/2011 07:14:09
Bah, damnit.

I have such a great idea for this but i have McCarthy and my other project to write.

Stupid MAGS
Awesome, I'm looking forward to your entry!  :)

Yes, it's just like that: At least part of the game must take place under water, and it should make a difference to not being under water - so if it's a submarine, it should make a difference to the submarine being on the surface. That's not to say the submarine must never be surfaced, though.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

DuncanFx

Started to get an idea together for this, but I have a question. Is it ok to use a background file I started work on a while ago? I know the rules say that everything should be completely new, but I've had this background staring at me from my WIP folder for some time now, and it'd be nice if I could actually finish it off and get it into a game rather than let it go to waste. Thoughts?

Atelier

Now Duncan, what I don't know can't harm me ;)

DuncanFx

Quote from: Atelier on Sun 06/02/2011 14:37:52
Now Duncan, what I don't know can't harm me ;)
Well, that's the thing. I have posted some WIP of this background online before, but just never used it in a game. I'm just trying to be transparent here. Don't want people calling me on it later, so I'd rather ask now. ::)

Atelier

Zetsaika

Just to be sure...
There is a need of the character being submerged in water? Or i can put him submerged on other things?
Can i philosophically bend the theme?  ;D
"In the longest day, in the shortest night. No Zombie shall escape my sight."

Tamanegi

As far as I'm concerned, stuff other than water is fine too: magma, LCL... not too many possibilities there of course.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010

WHAM

Whoa, darn! I started my project on thursday and on sunday I had 80% of the graphics done (all background, objects, the GUI and inventory items, and main character's standing frames), as well as about 25% of the scripting. The GUI is finished on operational and I have a rough scetch on the intro and outro. Not bad for my first MAGS, if I do say so myself.

I don't think I've ever been this fast with anything before. I have to agree with Calin there: MAGS is excellent, indeed!

Current objective: make it possible to play the game from start to finish by friday. Then add intro & outro and some extra goodies and proceed to final testing!

How is everyone else doing?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Atelier

WHAM

Played my game through for the first time last night. Buggy but playable. Now I take a few days to fix it and then it's off to create the cutscenes.

DuncanFx

I'm out of this one. :( I got something started, but I'm just too busy for the next two weeks to devote the time I'd want to it.

Good luck everyone else, I look forward to seeing what is produced.

Armageddon

If I could actually get some ags code working I'd be in, but sadly I have over 20 games and all of them the code does not work...

Tamanegi

Well that's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing so many entries...

@Armageddon: If you have problems getting the code to work correctly, why not ask in the help section? Khris does an amazing job solving problems :-) And there are many more that are willing to look over portions of your code and tell you what's wrong.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010

Armageddon

Well the thing is I don't even know how to code. And I love making 9-verb games but the template is very messy.

WHAM

I just got my gameplay portion off to my beta tester for bug-hunting. 11 Days from start to beta!

EDIT: just got the gameplay portion tested for bugs, should be pretty healthy now. Then to create the cutscenes and tidy up the dialogue.

WHAM

Sorry for doubleposting, but I just wanted to know: Is there still someone else than me participating?

Monsieur OUXX

Funny coincidence, I was considering adding an underwater sequence for the game I'm developing, and I was thinking : "Let's do it big and let's do it 3D - with a short clipping distance and a heavy blue fog effect and 320x200 that should do it". Daggerfall-like.
But the game is in a too primitive state right now, unfortunately.

Pinback

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 15/02/2011 10:32:48
Sorry for doubleposting, but I just wanted to know: Is there still someone else than me participating?

Yep, I'm working on a little something for this too. Couldn't help it, too cool a MAGS theme to pass up.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pinback on Tue 15/02/2011 15:37:43
Quote from: WHAM on Tue 15/02/2011 10:32:48

Yep, I'm working on a little something for this too. Couldn't help it, too cool a MAGS theme to pass up.
grabs whip
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Calin Leafshade

Oh man, I wish I'd done this. My 'submerged' idea was rad.

Whoever wins please make the next theme "Science" so i can still use my idea :D

Radiant

Or perhaps it's "make a game underwater" :P

Atelier

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Wed 16/02/2011 14:46:42

DuncanFX is setting the theme for March, so I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you his paypal details :) I would also require a substantial amount. Looks like this game of yours might have to go commercial Calin ;)

And this is for Pinback and WHAM's eyes ONLY:

Spoiler

1 vote = £1

[close]

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

DuncanFx

Quote from: Atelier on Wed 16/02/2011 17:22:52
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Wed 16/02/2011 14:46:42
DuncanFX is setting the theme for March, so I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you his paypal details :) I would also require a substantial amount. Looks like this game of yours might have to go commercial Calin ;)

I am rather broke right now, so the cash would do me nicely. ;D Although the idea I'm thinking of so far is quite open to genre, so hopefully it'll still be good for you Calin.

Wyz

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 16/02/2011 16:23:02

Or perhaps it's "make a game underwater" :P

That's no good, unfortunately my computer isn't water tight. :(
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

WHAM

Quote from: Kweepa on Wed 16/02/2011 19:25:16
Don't forget the eye candy.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=38592.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP1iFfDPXvY
Maybe at last someone will use the Underwater module in a completed game!

Nooooo! This just might come too late! I'll have to see if I can get this added up and make my game PRETTY!

WHAM

Intro now has 90% of graphics, the final 10% I need a few reference fotographs for, which a friend of mine is supposed to supply by sunday.

Outro graphics are now about 50% done.

All graphics should be done by the end of the week, and all scripting is already done, so...

SO CLOSE!

Also: I know that you're supposed to do everything from scratch, so will using a few royalty-free stock photos get me disqualified? I'd hate to have to either remove them, or try drawing them myself, 'cause they will just not look nearly as nice then...

EDIT: Just got the photos! Lookin'n gooooood!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I wish I had sufficient time for this.  It would be great to revisit my never-made THC entry Deep Freeze and actually get something playable out of it.  Oh well :(

I wouldn't worry about canned backgrounds.  People use canned music all the time.

Atelier

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 18/02/2011 08:25:32
I wish I had sufficient time for this.  It would be great to revisit my never-made THC entry Deep Freeze and actually get something playable out of it.  Oh well :(

I wouldn't worry about canned backgrounds.  People use canned music all the time.

I can always give a few days extension if you want to join in, depending on how long you think it will take (considering February is only 28 days long anyway).

WHAM

All graphics and script is now done, working and mostly tested.
Sounds are now being picked and implemented, and finishing touches should be in place early next week.

Dualnames

Quote from: WHAM on Sat 19/02/2011 13:33:02
All graphics and script is now done, working and mostly tested.
Sounds are now being picked and implemented, and finishing touches should be in place early next week.

YAY!! Send you a pm.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

WHAM

Soooo cloooose!

Only issue: I need more voice actors! Trying to sort that one out in the next few days. After that its an evening's work from being finished and ready for delivery.

"Submerged - The LaSol incident" awaits!

Atelier

Just a few days left now. Stay tuned for a special edition MAGS March!

WHAM

Trying to get the last bits of voice acting, and fixing bugs like crazy! Hoping to release tomorrow evening! Hnnnngghhh!

straydogstrut

Just wanted to wish the entrants well coming into the final push. I really liked the theme for this one and i've had an old idea that would've suited perfectly but I didn't have the time to really do it justice. I'm looking forward to playing these games!

Quote from: Atelier on Fri 25/02/2011 12:07:48
Just a few days left now. Stay tuned for a special edition MAGS March!

Maybe the 'special' bit is just the kick up the ass I need to enter..

Pinback

Woo, all finished:D

I'll probly run through some testing and post tonight. Finally made time for a oil painting for the cover this time too, hell yeah!

WHAM

It's done and tested (well, at least I cannot find anything wrong with it). I'll release it by midnight today!
Wheee! I'm so excited! I haven't released anything singe may 2008!

Pinback

My entry for MAGS Submerged-  

DOWNLOAD HERE
http://shutupload.com/dl/533d6bf35930/

EDIT) Thanks DuncanFX for pointing out UI bug- fixed version uploaded.

Dualnames

Wow, that's the best poster ever!! Looks amazing!!  :D

EDIT: Finished, congrats that was awesome.

Also "DUALNAMES - FOR NOTHING!". I will sue you for that!!  :P

Pinback

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 26/02/2011 14:17:34

Also "DUALNAMES - FOR NOTHING!". I will sue you for that!!  :P

Glad you liked it man, hehehe:D

straydogstrut

Ah crap, that means it's my fault i'm stuck=P It's brilliant so far though, the graphics and the voice acting are top notch. This is a really impressive MAGS effort=)

EDIT: Finished! (I took a break and started writing a screenplay..honest!) I knew exactly what to do, turns out I wasn't using the inventory properly. Great little game=D

Dualnames

Quote from: straydogstrut on Sat 26/02/2011 15:19:36

Ah crap, that means it's my fault i'm stuck=P It's brilliant so far though, the graphics and the voice acting are top notch. This is a really impressive MAGS effort=)

If you need any hints let me know. (Perhaps pming is more suitable).

straydogstrut

No worries, i'll persevere=)

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 26/02/2011 15:23:31
(Perhaps pming is more suitable).

Yeah, don't want to spam this thread with hints and tips!

Tabata

"My" Valentin + EVA are saved!

Clean work with a very endearing main character (I want to have an EVA, too), nice story with everything made wonderful.

Well done Pinback â€" Congratulations!

(also Dualnames did his part very well ;))

Igor Hardy

Where is the music in Beacon from? The credits disappeared before I could find the responsible.

btw Congrats! Great little game.

straydogstrut

Quote from: Ascovel on Sat 26/02/2011 17:07:28
Where is the music in Beacon from? The credits disappeared before I could find the responsible.

Played it again just for you - and I don't see it! Unless it was Dual..

http://twitpic.com/440zwh/full

WHAM

Holy smokes, Pinback! I'm going to have my hands full topping that!
Oh well, here goes!

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1404

"Stan Winston, a janitor working on a luxurious man-made island resort, the LaSol, is about to have his life turned upside down, quite literally..."

Atelier

Wow, thanks Pinback and WHAM. Two amazing looking games!

Because nobody else has expressed interest, I'll open up voting real soon.

Dualnames

Congrats to both, great games. I have to say I don't know which one to vote for. Well done to both.

straydogstrut

Quote from: WHAM on Sat 26/02/2011 19:31:07
Holy smokes, Pinback! I'm going to have my hands full topping that!

You've got nothing to worry about - that was brilliant! The voice acting was superb and I loved all the little touches with the electrics and the blue cup(s). Five/Six attempts but I couldn't save him: wasted precious seconds waiting for the rescue team to finish their coffee;-)

I'm with Dual: this is a really tough one to call. Both fantastic entries=D

Atelier

It's here guys!

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

La Sol by WHAM
Beacon by Pinback

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Pinback

Oh, I did the music too:) All but the intro theme were composed specifically for this MAGS.
The only other person directly working on Beacon was WHAM- who did a very good job voicing Valentin btw- thanks WHAM!

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Pinback on Sun 27/02/2011 00:34:53

Oh, I did the music too:) All but the intro theme were composed specifically for this MAGS.

Wow! Really? You certainly are a man of many talents.

WHAM

Quote from: Pinback on Sun 27/02/2011 00:34:53
The only other person directly working on Beacon was WHAM- who did a very good job voicing Valentin btw- thanks WHAM!

A pleasure to be of service! It was fun working with so many other people on the game.
I have to say your game looks and sounds simply amazing! Great job!

Dualnames

I like how you guys worked on both games, resulting into two awesome games.

Calin Leafshade

Both games are great this time out! nicely done gents.

Question about la sol though:

Spoiler
is it possible to get better than the glass shard in back ending? I have cracked the glass but i dont see how to improve from there
[close]

Baron

The Beacon download keeps telling me it's expired.
I've tried La Sol 3 times and have died at progressive stages.  It sounds like I'm about as far as Calin, so at least I'm in good company.  It's a very immersive game so far.....  ;)

WHAM

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Sun 27/02/2011 02:55:05
Question about la sol though:
Spoiler
is it possible to get better than the glass shard in back ending? I have cracked the glass but i dont see how to improve from there
[close]

Spoiler
If you live long enough to be plucked out of the sea (not seen directly, but flares are involved), you have gotten the best ending to the game. Saving one's skin is sometimes costly...
[close]

mode7

Oh my got - this months mags games are both awesome. Finished the Beacon and struggling in La Sol. It's going to be a tough vote for me.

WHAM

I uploaded a new version just now. Only one small fix: the outro cutscene could trigger incorrectly, making for a very confusing watch. If you downloaded LaSol already, but haven't player yet, please download again to avoid the faulty cutscene.

DuncanFx

Fantastic pair of games. Took me four attempts to get the "good" ending of LaSol, but enjoyed getting there, and Beacon's presentation really appealed to me. I had real trouble choosing which to vote for - I actually made a list of pros and cons. ::)

Congrats (and good luck) to both Pinback and WHAM.

WHAM

Quote from: DuncanFx on Sun 27/02/2011 20:23:58
I actually made a list of pros and cons. ::)

I'd love to see the pro's and cons of my game some time! A list like that, made by someone else who apparently knows quite a bit about how to make a nice game, would be really useful!

david

Alright WHAM, I am going to give my pros and cons to you  ;)

+ voice overs are great, atmosphere is thrilling, story itself is well done told, combination with the TV news, it is just superb
- too long comments about things around, too little time to read them in order to finish the game, I was drowned a couple of times, simply you will not  have much time to explore the place if you want to examine the things because you are dead eventually; but the most frustrating thing was
Spoiler
the black spot where the valve and some sort of platform were; it took me quite a while to figure out what to do next and especially to find them
[close]

but overall it was a very nice game  ;)
Congratulations 8)

WHAM

Thanks for the feedback David!

I wanted to give the game an interesting narrative that would be intriguing itself and make way for a possible sequel in the future. It's good to hear people liked the story aspect of the game. The cutscenes were also a lot of work, so it's great to hear people enjoyed them.

I kind of knew that some people would find the strict time limitations and constant presence of looming death to be frustrating, but I wanted to go for the mentality of games in the "olden days". The games were immensely hard, but when you finalli manage to get through, the feeling of completion is the greatest reward.

In my own testings I found that if you didn't examine every object (for instance, the trash on the floor) or repeat "wrong" actions several times, you could finish the game quite easily. It's all about figuring out your priorities and trying to keep up. I thought of having difficulty levels at one point. Easy mode would have allowed more time to look around and that water would have risen more slowly, but I felt that in such a short game, making the player start from the top once or twice would not be unforgivable.

On you last remark, I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
Spoiler
Do you mean the floorplates? I tried using the light effects in the crawlspace, as well as the stack of wood being visible, to indicate their presence. The valve's location could also be tracked quite easily by just watching where the pipe was going from the leak.
[close]

david

Thanks WHAM, now I see your point. You see I haven't noticed that before because of that time limit,
Spoiler
I am talking about the floor plates (I named it platform :) ) and valve, specifically the rightmost one
[close]

Now I've remembered that the MENU Save/Load buttons were quite a mess. I didn't know when the game is saved or if it was overwritten by the newer version or not.

but as I said before it was very nicely intensified story  ;)

WHAM

Heh. I had to say something to that: the save/load GUI was a hasty mash-up, to be hones. I even thought of leaving it out altogether, as the game is so short that a save/load feature might not even be necessary, but decided to leave the simple system in place after all.

I guess it could've done with a "Saved game successfully" message when you save...

neon

Nice to see that there are two great games this month, that both really deserve to win the competition. While I had the chance to play LaSol before release and there was no clue that there will be another entry, I really thought that the game is a sure winner. Now that I played beacon I have no idea for what game I should vote. While Beacon is state of the art pixel graphic (I love that style), LaSol is a game that has a good replay value, because it's nearly impossible to survive in the first run. Good to know I have a month to decide which one is better.

WHAM

The suspense is already killing me! ARGH!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I thought both of these were good, but in the end I had to go with Pinback and his neat little robo-russian.  :)

OneDollar

Really great entries this month. Spoilerific feedback/reviews below.

La Sol
Spoiler
I loved all the little effects you'd put into the game - the splashes when walking, the changing lighting, the floating trash, the water level on the save slot, the changed walk cycle when the water gets too high... all very impressive and they really added to the atmosphere.

On the whole the voice acting was on the good side of amateur. The main character was probably the best, the Eastern European guy sounded like they were focused on keeping the accent up (both voiced by you?).

I think you were right not to give the option of toning the difficulty down. On a longer game it would be annoying to have to keep restarting, but La Sol was short enough that I didn't mind. I completed the game on my 4th playthrough, though I was about 3 seconds off winning on my 3rd. I liked the way you actually ended up with two simultaneous puzzles - trying to escape while also trying to buy more time. Giving alternative solutions (duct tape works - badly - on the pipe, but you can turn off the valve and save the tape for the door) was great as well.

I didn't pay too much attention to the story, from the way the game started I suspected that I'd only be shown a smaller part of a bigger plot, and that a lot would be left out/to the imagination.

The only other real issue I had with the game was the ending, it wasn't clear (until reading this thread) that I'd got the best one. It doesn't sound a particularly 'good' ending, and you get roughly the same amount of outro as you do for the other endings.
[close]

Beacon
Spoiler
Very, very good looking game. I love your art style and it fits well with the atmosphere of the game. The game was short, but felt quite professional and polished. The puzzles were pretty logical, and aside from a few pixel hunts on the puddle and switch I didn't have much trouble with it. Nice animation on the fish and robot too. I feel bad not being able to write as much about this game as La Sol, though I can't think of much in the way of criticism, so that's a good thing.
[close]

In the end I voted for
Spoiler
La Sol, because I found the gameplay unusual and interesting. Beacon was a nice, polished game with amazing visuals, but more standard adventure game play (which isn't a bad thing, but in this case I liked the risks La Sol took).
[close]
Both really good entries though.

WHAM

The MAGS site says there is a winner. Atelier, can you confirm?
*bounces up and down on chair impatiently, like some kind of amorphous rubber ball*

Atelier

Yes yes, it's true :D

La Sol by WHAM
7 vote(s)

Beacon by Pinback

6 vote(s)

Congratulations WHAM!

If you're wondering why it took so long, the votes were teetering all the time but in the end WHAM won with a slight average. Congratulations to Pinback also, for his beautiful looking game.

Now then. You won't be receiving a PM as usual, because I had to make room for this month's RoN MAGS. So watch this space for your special prize (but don't anticipate it ;))

straydogstrut

Congratulations!!

Well done both of you, this was a really tough one to call and i'm glad to see that was reflected in the votes, they're both really good entries. You should both be very proud of yourselves=D

WHAM

First: http://dagobah.net/flash/miyamoto.swf

Second: http://dagobah.net/flash/Caramelldansen_mix.swf

That is all!

OH! Also: congratulations to Pinback as well! Great competition!

Pinback

Congrats WHAM, a well deserved win to be sure:)

Leon

Congratulations to both, WHAM in particular  :)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

selmiak

currently playing beacon...

Spoiler
I have the bulb and the buoy but how do I combine them. When I use the bulb on the bouy the repair robot wants to inspect the buoy and when I look at it closely (close up) I can not use the bulb on it.
[close]

Tamanegi

This puzzled me for some time too.
Spoiler
You have to inspect the buoy and then treat it as a room: Open your inventory and take the bulb to use it on the broken bulb.
[close]
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010

selmiak

whoah, so obvious :P Thanks. Now I'm through. Good game :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk