Gemini Rue

Started by TheJBurger, Thu 24/02/2011 18:22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

Joshua Nuernberger presents in association with WADJET EYE GAMES

2010 Independent Games Festival - Student Showcase Winner

Azriel Odin, ex-assassin, arrives on the rain-drenched planet of Barracus to find someone.  When things go horribly wrong, he can only seek help from the very criminals he used to work for.

Meanwhile, across the galaxy, a man called Delta-Six wakes up in a hospital with no memory.  Without knowing where to turn or who to trust, he vows to escape before he loses his identity completely.

As fate brings these two men closer together, we discover a world where life is cheap, identities are bought and sold, and a simple quest for redemption can change the fate of a whole galaxy.

Price: $14.99

BUY FULL GAME
FREE DEMO

TRAILER
TWITTER

AWARDS
Independent Games Festival 2010 - Student Showcase Finalist
Featured at IndieCade 2010 @ E3
Indie Games Arcade 2010

FEATURES
Full Voice Acting + Developer Commentary
4-8 Hours of Gameplay
Over 80 hand-painted backgrounds
A fine-tuned action system, fair to both action and non-action gamers
A traditional verb box point 'n click interface with the "KICK" Verb
Neo-Noir soundtrack by Nathan Allen Pinard

PRESS

"Without a doubt, this is already one of the best adventure games of 2011; visually, aurally and thematically stunning. A phenomenal achievement."
-Alternative Magazine Online

"It's got a very good story, believable dialogue, great atmosphere and of course most importantly of all the gameplay is good.  Highly recommended to all adventure game fans."
-Captain D's PC Game Reviews

"Gemini Rue is a truly excellent adventure game that fans shouldn't pass up"
-Gamezebo

"Gemini Rue, a neo-noir science-fiction point and click adventure, is a bloody good game. Filled with twists and turns, intricate storytelling and a welcome Blade Runner vibe, this is unlike anything I've ever played."
-Nukezilla

"Gemini Rue is a moody and meaty yarn that feels like a forgotten classic from yesteryear. Streamlined controls and clever puzzles make it suitable for old-school adventuring fans and newcomers alike. Highly recommended."
-dealspwn.com

"Gemini Rue is an exceptionally accomplished point-and-click adventure hybrid with a flair for detail in both narrative artistry and game design. I highly recommend it."
-Gaming Daily

"Gemini Rue is an engrossing story with an easy to use game mechanics system that I recommend for all players.  Go out there and give it a shot!"
-Gaming Shogun

"A brilliant sci-fi story-driven point-and-click adventure game which you don't want to miss out playing."
-noobfeed

"Based on it's mature story and gritty Sci-Fi theme, along with the unravelling of a neo-noir odyssey filled with plot twists, fans of adventure games will find the experience gratifying."
-I Luv Games

"This game has the potential to bring back the point-and-click genre to the mainstream and I would advise all point-and-click fans to pick it up ASAP."
-Capsule Computers

"A videogame capturing the essence of much that came before it while also leaving marks to call its own."
-Gamesugar

"[Gemini Rue] will leave you feeling like you've experienced something poignant."
-Digital Spy

"You will find Gemini Rue to be a gritty, immersive neo-noir story filled with plenty of twists and intrigue."
-Adventure Classic Gaming

"This is just insanely brilliant adventure gaming."
-Indiegames.com

"Why can't more point 'n click adventure games be like this?"
-PC Gamer

"With a story to rival that of any non-indie title, Gemini Rue's graphics and dual narrative will have you hooked from the moment you wake up as Delta-Six in constraints."
-Gamercast

"There's some lovely storytelling, and when I played through the game [...] I was hooked from start to finish.
-DIY Gamer

"A delightfully retro experience along with a gritty Blade Runner-esque vibe."
-Dealspwn

---

www.geminirue.com

arj0n

Enjoying the game, awesome job Josh!

Stupot

Congratulations Josh.
This is shaping up very nicely, but unfortunately I have to go to bed now.
Can't wait to resume playing tomorrow :-)

[-Update-]
Finished.  I really enjoyed every minute of this game.  This is one of the best adventure games I've played in quite some time.  Normally in a game [or book or film] that has two story-lines, you find yourself preferring one over the other.  But here, I was just as enthusiastic about each setting and each set of characters  ;)

While the artwork is deliciously gritty and the option to go lo-res definitely adds to the effect, I can't help but wonder how beautiful it would have looked in higher-res.

The game world itself was really immersive, especially in Azriel's storyline.  However, at times, the game felt like it was supposed to be bigger than it really was.  For example after opening up the map and zooming out, all these cities and planets were teasingly labeled, giving the impression that you would be visiting those areas later in the game.  So it was a teeny bit disappointing when that didn't actually happen.  I'm not complaining about the length of the game though.  I thought it was more than ample in length for the price paid.

I had been anticipating the action scenes with some trepidation.  I thought they really complemented the gameplay very well.  I'm glad there weren't any more though.  I read a lot of reviews and comments saying they were too easy, but I personally had a bit of trouble with them (I stubbornly stayed on 'medium' though).  And one thing that annoyed me a bit was having to go through reams of dialogue every time I failed a gunfight, there should be an option to skip an entire conversation, at least in the moments before a gunfight.  However, the mechanics of these sequences was quite a clever and welcome use of AGS, I thought.  I'm a sucker for any game that tries something new with the code.

I've also read a one or two comments saying that the writing wasn't up to scratch.  I personally found it solid and well balanced.  It's noir without all the cliched and hammy dialogue, and even quite moving at the end.  The voice acting for this game is the best yet from Wadjet Eye, in my opinion.  Although I couldn't help think of Joey Mallone every time Kane spoke, which was difficult to ignore.

This wasn't intended to be a full review, but it seems to be heading that way, so I'll quickly add my voice to the chorus of praise for the music of this game.  I especially fell for the distinctive Blade Runner-esque tunes.

The twists, too were well dealt with:

Spoiler

I guessed that Mathias was Balder when he started questioning Sayuri in the ship about her escape from Center 7, but I didn't actually guess the 'main' twist until it's intended reveal... I guess the first mention of face transplants should have rang alarm bells.
[close]

Thanks Josh, for bringing such an ambitious project right the way through to fruition.  Many have tried, most have failed, you have succeeded, and then some.  I look forward to following your future endeavours.

Dualnames

Congratulations Josh. My personal opinion is also posted here, on the AGS blog.

I have to say this puts to shame most of ags games. Well done to everyone.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Zenger

WOW  :o, What an amazing game  :o. I'm really enjoying it a lot, excellent work  ;D ;D, congratulations!!, and what a narrative, it's fantastic

By the way, I think I found a nasty bug

Spoiler

In the maintenance room, where Giselle is, if You try to walk through the left door (not try to open it, try to pass through the door walking), You pass to the other screen when I think You are not suppossed to because it looks like if the story jumps to the point of what I suppose it would happen there when You're able to open the door with characters there and well.., oh and soon after that if You walk some more the game just crashes, altough I think that's a normal consequence of the other problem
[close]

PS: Sorry, I can't find how to put a spoiler tag  , although I think that what I've just written doesn't contain spoilers

arj0n

Awesome game, totally dragged into it.
Really hard to quit playing.  :)

cianty

Still playing, and liking it a lot so far. The way you worked that action sequences in the game is really nice. And they are not so that you'd be frustrated by them - they perfectly add to the tension of the game.
And I love how you can give orders to other characters. Very very cool.

*goes back to play the game some more*
ca. 70% completed

MartyMcFly

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have reviewed Gemini Rue here for anyone who wants to take a look:

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2011/02/24/game-review-gemini-rue/

"Without a doubt, this is already one of the best adventure games of 2011; visually, aurally and thematically stunning. A phenomenal achievement." - Alternative Magazine Online

hedgefield

Really digging the game so far Josh, nice job! To be honest I started off a little bit hesitant, but the moment I set out towards Hibiscus Heights and that Blade Runner-esque style music kicked in against the background with the flying cars in the distance, it totally pulled me in.

Charity

I haven't had a chance to really play it yet, but you just about got me with the Title screen.  Seriously.  Awesome title screen.  Probably will post some more thoughts once I've made some more progress.

Anyway, I wanted to direct your attention to this thread in Technical:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=42958.0

It seems to have to do with games made in old versions of AGS, in general, but since at least two people so far have had trouble playing Gemini Rue on machines running in 32 bit color mode, I assume you have or will have other customers facing the same problem.  TL;DR is that the screen won't update, but it will (or did at least in our cases) if you set your settings to 16 bit color.

WHAM

Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend! Great job getting this done, people! You make the AGS community PROUD!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Frodo

Excellent game so far.  Really enjoying it.   ;D

nihilyst

Looks great so far. Really immersive.

Igor Hardy

Now that's what I call releasing an adventure game in style. Very impressive.

Zenger

Game finished  ;D. The game is not short at all, but I had free time and played it a lot, I couldn't stop  ;D. The game grabbed me since the beginning, what a narrative  :o, it grows and grows until the end that doesn't dissapoint.  The last part is amazing  :o ;D

Anyway, Big thanks to Joshua Nuernberger and the rest of the team that have made this possible, It's an excellent work!!!  ;D, and thanks a lot for dubbing the game, I know it's a great effort and I really appreciate that kind of things

I totally agree with what MartyMcFly posted: "Without a doubt, this is already one of the best adventure games of 2011; visually, aurally and thematically stunning", that is Gemini Rue for me too  ;D

Peder 🚀

Loving it so far, even so much I don't feel like asking/looking for help when I get stuck! :P.

Hope to see more top quality games from you in the future, commercial or not!

Dave Gilbert

I'm happy everyone's enjoying it.  It's an amazing game and it was quite an honor to publish it, as well as work on the voice acting. 

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Hey, it's good to see the game finally done!  Josh in particular deserves a heap of praise for sticking with this project for so long and seeing it through.  I hope the sales justify all of your efforts!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk