Started by TheJBurger, Thu 24/02/2011 18:22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Mati256

I loved the comment of Bim10.
"A little late to the party again, aren't we IGN?"

Anyway, better later than never, right?
My Blog! (En Español)

Snarky

So both of those reviews complain about bugs or the game not running on some machines. I wonder about that, since Gemini Rue played fine on my machine, I didn't experience any bugs, and I haven't seen a lot of bug reports either. Though I suppose you do hear now and again about how AGS doesn't run so well on certain systems. It'd be nice if there were a simple way to find out why.

Anyway, I'm curious about the philosophy for dinging a game for technical problems. I feel like the reviewers probably ought to try to verify whether the issues they experience are a one-off or something that is likely to affect other players.

David Ostman

From the A.V. Club review:

QuoteNote: Gemini Rue can be enormously difficult to get running on a computer running Windows 7, 64 bit. There are workarounds, but the troubleshooting process is more trouble than it’s worth, and finding a machine running an older version of Windows is preferable.

I've tested GR on a custom built Win7 x64 workstation, on an old-ish Dell laptop w/ Win7 x64, and on a modern Acer laptop running Win7 x64, no problems, but the PC market is known for these issues. Plus, it gets extra difficult to troubleshoot without the big resources of a big publisher with a decent PC QA. Man, if I could I'd just develop for consoles and iOS devices..

blueskirt

Just finished it, it took me a while since Minecraft, Heroes Of Might And Magic, Prince Of Persia and Firefly got in the way between the start and finish, but it was without a doubt one of the best AGS game ever made and I can't wait to replay it with commentaries soon.

There is one thing that bugged me however,
Spoiler
if the game was about these two characters, how come there wasn't more interactions between them? I don't know, maybe it's this Lifification of Games video that GG linked in that other thread that got to my head but, the only thing that prevented that game from transcending a whole bunch of boundaries for me was there was not enough small talk between the two of them and interactions and a hug button or something. And when the credits were rolling, I was wondering, if that story was told through another medium, book, film, anime, would lifification have been a problem?
[close]
Or maybe I got it all wrong, anyway, it's late and I'm sleepy, off to the bed.

Thanks again for Gemini Rue, JBurger, it was amazing.

Dave Gilbert

Blueskirt:

Which two characters do you mean? 

TM

Haven't finished it yet but really enjoyed the beginning. The reviews you got are totally amazing. Congratulations! Since it came out, I've been waiting for a post mortem blog post. Will we get one? I love reading those.

My website & blog

blueskirt

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 05/04/2011 19:20:40
Blueskirt:

Spoiler
Since Azriel and Delta Six are one and the same, I was thinking Azriel/Delta Six and Sayuri/Epsilon Five. But like I said maybe I got it all wrong.
[close]

TheJBurger

Quote from: blueskirt on Wed 06/04/2011 00:17:51
Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 05/04/2011 19:20:40
Blueskirt:

Spoiler
Since Azriel and Delta Six are one and the same, I was thinking Azriel/Delta Six and Sayuri/Epsilon Five. But like I said maybe I got it all wrong.
[close]

You could be right. But what does "lifification" mean, again?

Quote from: Pressure Cookie on Tue 05/04/2011 23:37:30
Haven't finished it yet but really enjoyed the beginning. The reviews you got are totally amazing. Congratulations! Since it came out, I've been waiting for a post mortem blog post. Will we get one? I love reading those.

Something is coming, perhaps soon...

Khris

Quote from: TheJBurger on Wed 06/04/2011 03:42:35But what does "lifification" mean, again?

Seems to mean to make artificial characters more human/life-like by adding emotional interaction, etc.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Khris on Wed 06/04/2011 11:09:24
Quote from: TheJBurger on Wed 06/04/2011 03:42:35But what does "lifification" mean, again?

Seems to mean to make artificial characters more human/life-like by adding emotional interaction, etc.

Are you sure blueskirt didn't mean "lolification"? The Japanese term for making female characters Lolita like?

blueskirt

No no, it's Lifification of games, the talk starts at 3:05, if you can't be arsed to watch it all, the most important bits are written below the video.

But yeah, what Khris said.

TheJBurger

Quote from: blueskirt on Wed 06/04/2011 23:39:09
No no, it's Lifification of games, the talk starts at 3:05, if you can't be arsed to watch it all, the most important bits are written below the video.

But yeah, what Khris said.

Ah. Yeah. I saw that video before back when it was first posted.

I think the issue of lifification was not one of the core principles I had in mind when creating the game. Instead, I was mainly focused on the relationship between Azriel and Delta-Six, not between Azriel/Delta-Six & Sayuri/Epsilon-Five. The game is more about who Azriel and Delta-Six are and what they have/will become, and so the relationship with Sayuri/Epsilon-Five is not as stressed. However, the final scene in the game leaves that open somewhat.

Dave Gilbert

Check out what's #5 in Metacritic's quarterly list of the 25 top PC games! http://bit.ly/goMqom

cianty

Wow... That's pretty impressive.
ca. 70% completed

Vince Twelve

Holy cow, that's awesome!  (Off topic: isn't it weird that the lowest reviewed game of the quarter got a 61?  Shouldn't that still be an above average game?)

Dave Gilbert

Wasn't the lowest reviewed per se.  It was a list of top 25 rated games and that game was #25, not the lowest rated overall.  I'm sure there are lots of games ranked lower than that.

edit: no wait, you're right.  It was the worst reviewed game.  I suppose I see why folks say Metacritic's results are a bit skewed.  Except when it's skewed in my favor.  Then it's the bestest thing ever.

Ilyich

Impressive indeed! Now those picky folks at Steam are just bound to take it, right? It is a great game, though, so - well deserved. :)

Stupot

Looking at that list... Gemini Rue is the #1 best reviewed game of the past quarter that is not a sequel. :D
Way to go!

TheRoger

Awww...damn...I got stuck. It's a bug or something...

Spoiler
I wanted to go to that hotel where Mathias were, I should meet with that smuggler there, but when I enter hotel I get error message: "room11.asc, line 438; Character is not in the current room"
[close]

I think I forgot to talk with someone or to do something, who is that guy anyway?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk