[MAGS] Submerged - LaSol

Started by WHAM, Mon 28/02/2011 14:13:44

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I WON THE MAGS! I can't believe it! Thank you to all who voted for LaSol and thank you for playing!
EDIT: HOLY CRAP! I got pick of the month! This is the  best day of my life!
EDIT: HOLY CRAP! Special edition released, check Mirror 1 from the games page!

After almost 3 years of silence, WHAMGAMES is back with a short game that is participating in MAGS / February / 2011!

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1404

The game features all-new graphics, full voice acting, original music, a wide range of sound effects and a novel gameplay mechanic that is quite likely to up your heartbeat by a notch as time runs out and you curse your inability to swim...

In addition, the game was translated to a total of five different languages (English, Finnish, German, Dutch and Italian)!
Thanks to Leon, Neon and Paolo for the translations! You guys worked wonders on such short notice!

Story in short:
"Stan Winston, a janitor working on a luxurious man-made island resort, the LaSol, is about to have his life turned upside down, quite literally..."

Also: Be sure to check out my competitor; Pinback and his awesome game: "BEACON"
LINK: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1403

Also:
http://www.switched.com/2011/03/31/submerged-lasol-avoid-the-rising-tide/
and
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1287
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Grim

Played it last night and really liked it.

I lost. Got submerged and drowned... And I was nearly there...:)
I have to say I really like this replayable timed game structure. The only thing that doesn't quite add up is janitor's fairly happy attitude when faced with... death. He might be just this laid back positive person, I suppose... but I think most people in these circumstances would panic more.

I will definitely try again- and this time I will survive:)

Thanks!

WHAM

I thought it would frustrate the player less if the main character was more neutran than panicky. Imagine if his every line was spoken in a terrified, panicked voice.

"W-wait, WHAT!?"

I wanted to add a touch of humor here and there to lighten up the mood in the game. If a game like this is too serious about itself, it quickly wears itself down (in my opinion).
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

blueskirt

Good call, if all the lines were spoken in panicked voice I would have played it with the speakers turned off.

Cool game, the water rising was a nice use of a timer, I liked the various challenges that sprung at different time and walking slower the more water there was, it really added to the experience and the emergency.

How many endings were there?
Spoiler
I wouldn't ask if what I think is the good ending wasn't so ambiguous, with the guy getting through the window, giving the thumb up to the diver while huge glasses sticks out of his back.
[close]

WHAM

Quote from: blueskirt on Sat 05/03/2011 12:50:42
Good call, if all the lines were spoken in panicked voice I would have played it with the speakers turned off.

Cool game, the water rising was a nice use of a timer, I liked the various challenges that sprung at different time and walking slower the more water there was, it really added to the experience and the emergency.

How many endings were there?
Spoiler
I wouldn't ask if what I think is the good ending wasn't so ambiguous, with the guy getting through the window, giving the thumb up to the diver while huge glasses sticks out of his back.
[close]

SPOILER: LIST OF ENDINGS
Spoiler

1. Death by electrocution

2. Death by drowning in the corridor

3. Death by bleeding (get through window, but no diver to save you around)

4. Saved by the diver

(There is also a short phone conversation you can hear in the ending cutscene, after the news, than can be triggered by...

Reading the books in the cabinet repeatedly and then getting saved by the diver)

[close]

WHAM

[bump]
Just wanted to bump this once (won't do it again).

C'mon people! Please give feedback by clicking this link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=newvote&game=1404&category=179&actionwas=detail

I'd really like to have at least enough votes to get an average score so I can estimate how people liked or disliked the game. Please also leave written comments stating what parts you liked or didn't like!

Thank you to all in advance!
[/bump]

Igor Hardy

Hey, WHAM. I'm liking it - just haven't beaten it yet.

I keep dying while talking to the diver and wasn't sure if I should just start over to try to do everything faster, or if I did miss some item or interaction that would save me some time.

btw are the game events (like the diver appearing) happening in real time, or are they triggered by the hero's actions? For example, is there always the same amount of time you have to wait for the diver after you phone for help, or does the waiting time depend on circumstances?

stepurhan

Scored and commented. It's not a big grandiose adventure but its a nice piece of work. There is a sense of realism to the setting that is sometimes missing from larger productions.

WHAM

@ Ascovel
Spoiler
After initial radio contact the time to the diver appearing takes a set amount of time. As would be realistic, calling for help should be your top priority when trapped.
[close]

EDIT: just realized that I've gotten quite a few sets of feedback after posting this. Thanks people! Really appreciate it!

Igor Hardy

Quote from: WHAM on Mon 21/03/2011 18:32:22
@ Ascovel
Spoiler
After initial radio contact the time to the diver appearing takes a set amount of time. As would be realistic, calling for help should be your top priority when trapped.
[close]

It's good to know that - you can never trust a game on how realistic its time-flow is. Anyway, finally beaten the game (with Leon's help) and will write you a comment in a moment.

Bogdan

My favorite part of this game is when you're trapped inside LaSol! :)

(.emag elohw eht dekil I snaem hcihw)

WHAM

Great to hear from more people, and even greater to hear that they liked this game!

I'll try to keep productive and try to get a new, bit different, game out for the April MAGS.

WHAM

<Celebratory post>
LaSol made pick of the month! Holy shit! This is the greatest thing I've ever achieved! My game is up there with games like Technobabylon, Journey Down and Airwave!
</Celebratory post>

Also:
http://www.switched.com/2011/03/31/submerged-lasol-avoid-the-rising-tide/
and
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1287

Just decided to release a "Special edition" of LaSol if it gets 1000 downloads within 2 months of release (sooo cloooose). I'll try to be like Yahtzee and add some sort of commentary to it, as well as some extra clarification on the storyline for those who might want it. Feels great to see how such a simple little game has gotten so much attention in such a short timespan.

WHAM

Three days before two moths have gone by and LaSol has achieved 1000 (one thousand) downloads! In perspective, my first game has made 2045 downloads in over 3 years. I think we are going in the right direction.

This success (in my books, at least!) has motivated me quite a bit and I'm hoping to do at least one more small project in the next few months.

Also: Due to the fact that this number of downloads was achieved in under two months, I will release (by the end of the month) a SPECIAL EDITION of LaSol. It will contain all the project files (all the code, graphics etc) for those who are interested in how the game was built (it's mostly nails and duct-tape), as well as adding a commentary track to the game itself (the commentary will stop the time, so don't worry about drowning if you listen to it) in which I can explain some things that you see in the game, what was going through my mind and how the story develops in the background.

That is all, for now! Keep your eyes peeled, as I might post a new "game in progress" in the coming three-or-four weeks!

Igor Hardy

Congrats WHAM! Good to hear that it all got you even more motivated to make new games.

straydogstrut

Congrats! I'll look forward to the Special Edition, especially for the commentary=)

Looking forward to your next project..

Pinback

Congrats WHAM, well deserved indeed. Also, thanks for linking to your aquatic nemesis:)

WHAM

Thanks guys!

The commentary is mostly just randon mental notes I made, as well as some small story reveals (need to keep some things secret for the possible sequel). I'll try to get it uploaded tomorrow at some point.

@Pinback: I thought it would be fair to link to it since I opened this thread before the voting was done. =)

WHAM

Due to the volume of downloads and attention this little game has received, I decided to release a special edition of LaSol. The special edition can be downloaded from Mirror 1 on the games page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1404.

Hope you enjoy it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk