Background Blitz - City Life (02/03 - 18/03)

Started by Ilyich, Tue 01/03/2011 23:48:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilyich

The theme for this Background Blitz is City Life:

You should create a scene that represents some aspect of the life in a big city.

It can be a busy street, a graffiti-filled ghetto, a simple flat, a shopping mall, a small cafe, a flea market, or anything else you can think of. The only restriction - it should be relatively modern, somewhere inbetween the 19th and the 22nd centuries.

The voting starts on March the 18th, unless someone asks for extension.

Good luck and have fun!

joelphilippage

I made this off of an apartment that I get to sleep on the couch in sometimes.

Ilyich

joelphilippage, sweet! I like those slightly weird colors, and the view outside the window gives this exactly the kind of urban ambience I was hoping to see here. Nicely done. :)

Mad

Matti

Mad, that is GREAT! Really nice colors and perspective.

oraxon

After the 1906 earthquake/fire in San Francisco:

Be careful picking up objects - they're shooting looters.

Ilyich

Oh my god! Neon lights and early 20th century architecture?! Those are the few of my favourite things! Great works, Mad and oraxon, I really like them both! And I think you are both making quite some progress with every new Background Blitz, keep it up!

LRH

I just have to comment on these. They're both incredible O_O

Pinback

oraxon

bad timing for a quake background, though. No disrespect intended to victims in Japan today.

Ilyich

Just a day left, if anyone is working on something and/or would like an extension - now is the time to ask.
Join in, i want to see more awesome backgrounds! MORE!

SookieSock

I'm doing one.

Can i have a very short extention pretty please.  :P

Ilyich

Sure thing! You have the whole weekend then. Voting starts Sunday, 20th at 23:59, Greenwich time.

Snath3000

Hi, this is my first attempt at a background. There's more I wanted to do, but I thought I might as well submit it anyway.

All criticism welcome.
(Please be nice, I'm new...)

straydogstrut

Quote from: SookieSock on Thu 17/03/2011 23:08:32
I'm doing one.

Yay!=D

Fantastic entries everyone, well done!

Nice background Snath and welcome to the forums. Maybe post it in the Critics Lounge too to get some more detailed feedback?

SookieSock

My entry will be in tomorrow I promise ^_^

Here it is:

Ilyich

SookieSock, that's quite epic! And dark! Great entry, anyway. :)

Snath3000, it's really nice, even though slightly raw and way too dark. If you want some more in-depth critisism and advice on how to improve it - you can post it in the Critics Lounge, as SookieSock has already suggested. Oh, and welcome to the forums, hope you'll have a nice stay. :)

O-kay! So, the voting starts right... now!
Here are the categories, with the good ol' functionality back in:

Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.

Code: ags

[b]Idea[/b] -
[b]Atmosphere[/b] -
[b]Design[/b] -
[b]Composition[/b] -
[b]Functionality[/b] -
[b]Technique[/b] - 

Snath3000

Wow! Woah, that will teach me to have my gamma up to high at home. Checked it at work today and I can barely see it. Will have a go at fixing it when I get the chance. Lesson learnt though... Had considered popping it in the critics lounge, but thought I would have a go at adding in the extra detail and finishing it up more first. And, probably lighting it up a bit more now...

SookieSock, I think yours looks fantastic. I like the minimalist use of color, it somehow seems to make the train stick out more.

SookieSock

Idea - oraxon
Atmosphere - oraxon
Design - oraxon
Composition - oraxon
Functionality - oraxon
Technique -  oraxon

I really liked your last entry for the last one as well but I never got chance to vote.

ddq

Idea - oraxon
Atmosphere - oraxon
Design - oraxon
Composition - oraxon
Functionality - Mad
Technique -  oraxon

Great entries from everyone, but I *really* like oraxon's style and he needs to be awarded for his consistently awesome backgrounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk