wife beaters anonymous

Started by shirt, Tue 08/03/2011 15:34:39

Previous topic - Next topic

shirt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ew9dxjsiukjaab/wifebeaters.rar

your mission is to beat your wife more than your rival (jim) using objects around the house. you can phone your friend jon for tips.
my first ags game to try some things i have learnt out so may contain some bugs and most definiately will contain bad graphics e.g black holes as doors. contains violence, nudity and swearing.very short game so should only take a few minutes to complete. ENJOY!

left click = interact
right click = look

Monsieur OUXX

I love the innocent and serious game description. One would almost forget that the game is about beating your wife!!!!??????????????!!!!!!!!

LRH

Yeah...while I respect one's right to make a game about whatever he or she pleases I can't help but want to voice my opinion about the objective of the game and the content itself. I find it really disturbing. Maybe you wanted to make it into some sort of joke, and I know for some people any subject is joke material. To me, though, it's just way over the line.

Sslaxx

I dunno, maybe someone could do a sequel. "Beat the shit out of shirt" - I'd bet it'd be fucking hilarious.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

LUniqueDan

Nice totally-not-innocent day for releasing this game.

Happy Feburary Revolution all!
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

AdamM

Well that was certainly one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen created with AGS.

I give it three and a half cups out of five!

shirt

Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 08/03/2011 16:55:57
I dunno, maybe someone could do a sequel. "Beat the shit out of shirt" - I'd bet it'd be fucking hilarious.

33 years old and getting offended by an adventure game. you need to go outside mate.

veryweirdguy

Quote from: shirt on Tue 08/03/2011 17:44:05
Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 08/03/2011 16:55:57

33 years old and getting offended by an adventure game. you need to go outside mate.

Where is the part where he gets offended? It's a game suggestion!

Monsieur OUXX

The last post ("where did he get offended?") is full of venom and should be ignored.

But, more seriously, it's hard to assess if this game is meant to be silly or simply outrageous since you (shirt) have no background, and haven't proved your degree of silliniess yet. Anyway, this game could be considered at best as "bad taste", especially on womens day.

Dualnames

Quote from: Ouxxey_games on Tue 08/03/2011 18:11:38
The last post ("where did he get offended?") is full of venom and should be ignored.

But, more seriously, it's hard to assess if this game is meant to be silly or simply outrageous since you (shirt) have no background, and haven't proved your degree of silliniess yet. Anyway, this game could be considered at best as "bad taste", especially on womens day.

The last post is also full of venom and should be ignored.

You're all bad people!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

shirt

ok it wasn't actually purposely made for this day and yes i have a dark sense of humour but the fact i only just found out it was womens day today makes this a hilarious coincidence.

Darth Mandarb

Personally I cracked up when I realized what this game was about.

Hilarious.

Making a game about wife-beating does not mean the guy advocates such activities.

Lighten up people.  It's the web.  It's not G-Rated.  If you don't like the game, don't download/play it.

LRH

Well,  that's just what I did. (Or didn't do...) I didn't download or play it. That doesn't mean I can't also say what I think about it. It's just a personal comment.

TomatoesInTheHead

I would have wanted a bit more responses for wrong actions, like when
Spoiler
I tried waking up my beloved wife with boiling instead of cold water
[close]
there was no feedback at all, so I didn't know directly if I just missed the hotspot.
Also, the rooms where the floor and walls have the same color (as in the second screenshot) should have at least the edges outlined, it felt like there was some open space beyond the telephone.
Speaking of the very simplistic graphics, I was surprised to see a working mirror in the bathroom. It seems there was put more effort in the game than meets the eye.

As to the story, I'm not easily offended by black humour and know no taboos when it comes to that, since it's humour after all, so I took the game as a moderately provocating satire. Here I was positively surprised that it was more subtle (in the dialogues, especially) than I had expected upon my first impression. I also liked that there was
Spoiler
a twist in the end. (Should I put this in spoiler tags? I don't know.)
[close]

(btw, remember that game where you could shredder your goldfish in a sink? Animal cruelty can be fun, too! Why not domestic voilence? What's evil is the reality, not the imagination)

My recommendation: Download it if you want to criticize it. You've probably seen a lot of deadly violence against cartoon figures, it doesn't hurt more too see it against a bunch of female pixels.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: shirt on Tue 08/03/2011 17:44:05

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 08/03/2011 19:17:05
Making a game about wife-beating does not mean the guy advocates such activities.

Lighten up people.  It's the web.  It's not G-Rated.  If you don't like the game, don't download/play it.

Quote from: TomatosInTheHead on Tue 08/03/2011 20:31:39
(btw, remember that game where you could shredder your goldfish in a sink? Animal cruelty can be fun, too! Why not domestic voilence? What's evil is the reality, not the imagination)

My recommendation: Download it if you want to criticize it. You've probably seen a lot of deadly violence against cartoon figures, it doesn't hurt more too see it against a bunch of female pixels.

One of the main points of making an offensive game, comedy or not, is for it to be... offensive, disturbing, to generate strong(er) reactions, test your own perversity etc. etc. Let's not talk down in-game cruelty (and a specific type thereof based on widespread occurrence) as just being in the name of lighthearted fun the same way as are fluffy bunnies and throwing a cake at someone's face. It's clearly a different kind of fun - something more like visiting a freak show.

If the game's author doesn't want to admit to wanting to come off as creepy with such production, then he (she?) misses the point of using themes like that. Otherwise, he/she should be pleased with the satisfying reception immediately witnessed in this thread.

qptain Nemo

Oh holy Roger Wilco, this game is so horrible, evil and offensive even while bearing in mind that there're dozens of games and the whole sandbox genre that allow you to kill innocents in thousands!

I agree with Igor, but still the lack of irony in the audience can be very irritating at times.

The game is pretty funny because of its absolutely dumb blatant harshness. Or in other words: it's so silly it's funny. Though I'd say it should've been called "cowardly backstabbing torturers anonymous" or something because I kinda imagine wifebeaters to be more straightforward about their attitude, but then maybe it's only my naive misconception.

Scavenger

Whilst on the surface, this game has all the appeal of an adult-entertainment Atari 2600 game, it's subtlety and method of handling this topic is surprisingly deep.

Spoiler
The main protagonist, who remains nameless, is trapped within an existential crisis. Without an identity, or anything to take his mind off of his inferiority complex (indeed, the backgrounds suggest that nothing except winning matters to him - not even his own house is important, and moving from room to room is disorientating and like stumbling through a veil of intoxication). What little decoration there is is at odds with his current situation, or completely banal. A smiling photograph of a happy couple? A well made double bed?

Our nameless protagonist shines no light on his own situation, offering no introspection other than "Must beat wifebeating rival" and "She's ugly". He cannot even think up imaginative ways to take his frustrations out on his wife, leaving that to "Jim" who calls him from an unknown location. His utter lack of meaningful social interaction leads me to believe he is friendless. The only interaction with a non victim is when "John" arrives, and immediately our protagonist is outshined by his articulate grace and masterful, symbolic artistry.

John is everything the protagonist is not.

The sparse backgrounds, the lack of existance of anyone but his goal, his rival, and his master, leads me to believe that this is actually a dream of the protagonists. He fantasises about violence and subjugation, to escape his middle age, middle class stagnation. His wife is a projection of the people he wishes to subjugate, and the rival is a projection of his anxiety of other people. No matter how he tries, he can't overcome him. He cannot even subjugate his victim, leaving it to accident and happenstance to torture her. He is too cowardly to be truly, unashamadly evil, and even his victim isn't afraid of him.

And thus, he is powerless in all corners, a worthless, squirming maggot of a man, where even in dreams he cannot transcend his craven nature.
[close]

Or is it just me?

Nice game. A bit gratuitous, but it delivered what it promised. Would have liked to have seen more interactions, to take advantage of the adventure game medium.

Knox

This made me chuckle...I guess Ive got a dark sense of humor too, hehe...
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Tue 08/03/2011 23:19:46
bear in mind that there're dozens of games and the whole sandbox genre that allow you to kill innocents in thousands!

You have a point there!
Why is it that we don't find it offensing to virtually kill people but find it offensive to virtually beat "our" wives?
I'd say it's because killing people has 99.9% probability of remaining in the domain of "fantasy" (especially in countries where it's illegal to own a gun), whereas we have all witnessed someone mistreating a women once in our lives (on the street, etc.). Common violence makes us uncomfortable because it's real. (that post is not intended for those who live in Lybia and witness murders as we speak)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk