A Night At Camp Ravenwood

Started by Secret Fawful, Wed 09/03/2011 03:29:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Secret Fawful

A Screen 7 Game

Tech Demo - August 2013 - (45 MBs)

Perilous Plot

Deep within Ravenwood Forest lies Camp Ravenwood, a dangerous, dirty camp for delinquents,
owned by vampires, and run by Switchblade and his cruel and unusual biker gang.

By day, the campers are left to activities such as fishing, football, and swimming, but by night,
the camp becomes a place where death is around every corner. A headless maniac with an
axe stalks the camp, there are aliens and monsters lurking in the woods, and jocks and bikers
riding around waiting for any chance they can get to beat you to a pulp.

Enter Smoky Bumblerose, Germy Bumblerose, Benny Berkybile, and Franky Flynnigan, four
ex-scouts accused of starting forest fires. Can they use all of their wits and survive-

Horrified Heroes

Smoky Bumblerose

A boy with an overactive imagination whose favorite pastimes are
daydreaming and telling a good yarn. Murphy's Law follows him
everywhere. He's not as smart as Benny or as brave as Frankie,
but he always gets pushed into situations requiring enormous wit
and bravery. His snarky and insulting sense of humor gets him and
his friends into constant trouble.

Germy Bumblerose

An amoral, mischievous lunkhead with no sense of danger. Keep him
away from anything flammable or sharp and in the name of all that is
good and decent don't let him near the candy and caffeinated drinks!
Or do. His brother has to keep a constant eye on him to keep him
from getting himself killed. :=

Franky Flynnigan

A tough Irish punk who fights first and never asks questions later, because
you're too busy swallowing your own teeth to answer any. He's brave to the
point of bring stupid, and would probably fight the devil himself head on and
win. He's the oldest member of his troupe, and he has a huge soft spot for girls.

Benny Berkybile

A stuttering coward with a runny nose that shrieks at the first sign of danger.
He screams. His nose shrieks. While not the best character for any adventurous
situations requiring bravery in the face of death, he is the smartest character.
He gets picked on daily in class for being the only person in his school to ever
faint at the sight of his own shadow. Ironically, due to his fast legs, he's
also the only character who is almost unkillable.

B.B. 'Bitchy Barbara' Carpenter

Bitchy Barbara lives up to her name in every way imaginable. She has a bad attitude,
a punk look, a mean streak, a short temper, and a cruel sense of humor. Barb is a
prickly character, and a boy-hater, but she knows more about what's going on at
Camp Ravenwood than any of the other main characters. Gaining her respect is
key to survival, but it won't be an easy task, especially since she has a mean grudge
against one Smoky Bumblerose. She'll happily break you if you get on her bad side.

Spooky Screenshots

-Elements shown may or may not change in the future-

Fearful Features

A video game that takes influences from classic adventure games by Lucasarts and Sierra.
Classic slapstick and routine based comedy inspired by things like Abbott and Costello and Monkey Island.
Spine-tingling horror inspired by monster movies of the 50s and slasher films of the 80s
A large, mostly non-linear area resembling classic Lucasfilm games like Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion
A cast of creepy and cool characters who may or may not want to rip your head off and eat your insides.
Danger at every turn and gory death awaits; can your tummies handle it, you big sissies?
Horrificly hard puzzles. I'm not taking it easy on anybody. My goal is to make all of you cry for your mommies.
Currently planned at around five playable characters- we'll see how that turns out.

Devilish Development

Story: 60%
Scripting: 6%
Graphics: 18%
Sound/Music: 0%

The game is in an early phase, but I figured I'd get it out there, get some feedback, and see
what people think of it so far. I'm working on it daily, so I expect progress to be pretty steady.

Expected completion date: What is this, a baby? Get out of here.

Demonic Development Diary

March 8th, 2011-
I've made public mention of my chronicling of the disturbing events surrounding the camp at
Ravenwood Forest. I hope HE doesn't find me before I've managed to tell the entire horrifying
tale. GASP! What was that!? I...I thought I heard a noise outside. It must have been the wind...

July 4th, 2011-
After hiding out in the woods for a few months I've managed to get a small meager message out.
Sometimes I wonder if the tale is too terrifying to tell to humanity, but I press on...

April 25, 2012
I've barely survived months by eating raw twigs and berries, but using the more poisonous ones, and a flipbook made from leaves, I've constructed a step by step video of the making of a scene in the game.

The Making of the Crossroads

A piece of music from the game is also showcased within. The game IS getting made.
(Music samples: http://soundcloud.com/mods1984/sets/a-night-at-camp-ravenwood-1/ )

ThreeOhFour

Looking at those screens brings back some very fond memories of being a kid discovering adventure games. Top work so far!

Ryan Timothy B

I definitely agree with Ben. I feel like a kid again just looking at these screenshots. You've turned the Monkey Island style into something of your own, which is great.

Dualnames

This looks amazing!! You got me hitched there as well.  ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Armageddon

Absolutely amazing, reminds me of those old school horror games that I loved so much, I defiantly feel like a kid looking at these screens.

monkey0506

Well Nicheal, you're causing people to defy reality in order to feel like children. Your purpose in life, I can therefore assume, is complete, yes?

Edit: Whatever Fawful is about to say in response to me is not true. That is all. I reserve the right to deny having made these statements.

Secret Fawful

Wow, thank you for the kind replies, everybody! I hope eventually when all is said and done I can deliver a really memorable experience.

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 09/03/2011 06:03:51
Well Nicheal, you're causing people to defy reality in order to feel like children. Your purpose in life, I can therefore assume, is complete, yes?

Oh, yeah, and this clown here is helping out too. He makes a really terrible sidekick, though. :=

cianty

Oh boy, oh boy! It's an awesome blend of MI and DOTT style graphics. This looks so very promising.  :o
ca. 70% completed

Cyrus

That's really cool! Will there be any variations in walkthrough, like in MM?

mode7

Amazing, I looked at the screen and thought this could be something  Lucasarts released between Loom and MI2

Monsieur OUXX

I just only realized the use of the name "Ravenwood". Makes it all even more perfect and delightfully familiar.

gameboy

I like the graphics and the plot! Looking forward to it.

m0ds

Very cool looking game, with nostalgia written all over it! Best of luck  :=

Matti

Igor Hardy

Visually a perfect nostalgia trip to the classic LucasArts days - those lovely pixels demand to be played!

btw Is that hairy head with burning red eyes inspired by the film Horror Express?

rainkaimaramon

Wow, is this going to be on disks or cd-ro- wait, wrong era. Looks great, just like games from the old days.

Peder 🚀

Secret Fawful

Again, thanks for the very nice comments, everyone. I'm delighted to hear that the game is making people nostalgic. Nostalgia can be beautiful thing.  :D

Quote from: Cyrus on Wed 09/03/2011 08:36:36
That's really cool! Will there be any variations in walkthrough, like in MM?

Of a form, yes, although whether or not it will be of a similar fashion to MM or not I can't say.

Quote from: Ascovel on Wed 09/03/2011 13:17:29
Visually a perfect nostalgia trip to the classic LucasArts days - those lovely pixels demand to be played!

btw Is that hairy head with burning red eyes inspired by the film Horror Express?

Although unintentional, I probably did subconsciously use that as a piece of reference. The title screen takes inspiration from many many different sources, one such inspiration being the Evil Dead 2 poster.

Armageddon

I looked at the shots again, did you do all this from scratch? It looks exactly like Monkey island everywhere.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

This sounds delicious.  I will play it rather than eat it, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk