Curses & Castles

Started by Baron, Thu 17/03/2011 02:11:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

I've been at this for while now, but I think it's finally time to put some cards on the table.  Announcing...

Curses & Castles

STORY:  A powerful enchantress has cursed the land of Saefonley with five evil shrouds that corrupt and enslave the minds of those who bear them.  These shrouds each represent a separate curse that manifests itself in the five corners of the realm, bringing Saefonley close to ruin.  A hero must unlock the secrets of the shrouds and destroy each in turn.

Princess Porphyra is a victim of one of these curses, imprisoned in the ruins of her family castle by a fiercesome dragon.  Despite the failure (and death) of everyone who has attempted to free her, she seizes on the idea that she herself can be the hero and save her country.  With her somewhat unenthusiastic uncle for a companion (once the lazy and foolish king but now transformed into a frog), she sets about to escape the castle and destroy the shrouds.

SCREEN SHOTS:

DEVELOPMENT:  I should say outright that this is conceived of as a commercial project, otherwise I could not justify the time required.  I feel almost apologetic having to mention that, since I've enjoyed so many freeware creations from my fellow game authors here.  Nevertheless that's the plan so.... plan on buying my game!

The idea of this game has been in my head for a while (ever since I was working on The Winter Rose, actually), but it always seemed technically infeasible to undertake.  Experiments last spring and summer with new drawing programs and animation techniques (the concrete result of which was the animation for Snakes of Avalon) showed that it was possible to vastly increase my productivity to the point where the game just might be possible despite the limited time I had to devote to it.  So I've taken the plunge and started it.  Will our reluctant hero be able to complete the epic quest he has set himself?  According to a tentative development schedule you should know the answer by autumn 2012.

PROGRESS:           Story 95%
                               Backgrounds 22%
                               Animation ~20%
                               Programming 25%
                               Writing 15%
                               Music & Sounds 0%

I'll be looking for a musician with a compatible vision once I have a working beta, hopefully someone who is willing to work on a contingency basis but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Comments and encouragement appreciated.  Wish me luck!
--------------------
EDIT MARCH 30, 2011:  I've started keeping a web log of my work on this project here.  There will be weekly updates, teasers & treats, and lots of insight into [my] game-making process.  Enjoy!

Igor Hardy

As I've been a huge fan of The Winter Rose for a long time (proof!), I was delighted to catch glimpses of Baron's new fantasy project in the Critics Lounge a few months ago. And am now most happy to see Curses (C&C?) revealed in an official manner.

Actually, Baron recently allowed me to try out a wip segment of the game and I can attest that it's shaping up to be a wonderful epic adventure, true to his style, but clearly more ambitious than anything he has done in the past.

theo

Good to see your project properly announced! There's certainly potential, from the looks of it.

I wish you the best of luck with this!

Zenger

It looks fantastic Baron, it's really charming  ;D,  best of luck with the project  ;D

Anian

This seems very nice. The only thing I'd change is maybe change the title to Castles & Curses, don't know why but it sounds better to me...and this should only show how much I like everything else about this game.  ;D
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Corby

I just got around to playing The Winter Rose. It was great, and so should this game. Best of luck!

Baron

Thank you everyone for your interest and words of encouragement.

I'm just posting to let you all know about my new web log documenting this project.  Yeah, I know, everyone and his game-designing monkey has a blog these days, but I'm trying to cram it full of interesting game-making insights and of course juicy details of the game as it advances.  Be sure to check back weekly for new content.

Igor Hardy

Tree, Rock, Pixels, huh? Sounds like the sort of 3 object combination that could become the answer to Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Or maybe to Rock, Rock, Rock.

Baron

Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock!

Ah.... it's already taken.  But seriously, there is an explanation of the blog's name on the blog.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk