RoN HS- activity fill-a-thing

Started by Renegade Implementor, Thu 29/09/2011 03:55:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Implementor

One of the RoN-projects I have on the go deals with Reality High so I came up with this basic floor-plan.  Then I thought that it might be an idea to turn it into a small activity like we used to have on the old forum and have some fun with fleshing the school out.

So, apart from the the exterior walls, the stairwells, front entrance & school administration (which are set in stone) - everything else is and can be subject to change.
- Corridors can be added/subtracted, the library or auditorium can be moved/enlarged/decreased.
- Figure out where to put the cafeteria.
- Pick a colour for a subject and start filling in blank areas.
- The list of subjects can be added or if something thinks of something that isn't there or a subject can be removed if someone feels it's not something that would be taught.

This is a map, and it's not to scale

Ponch

(Had to upsize the pic a bit. It was a little too teeny to work with easily for my aging eyes ;) )

I've added the AV Club (can't have future software moguls without one), tucked away in the back room of the library, where you'd more or less expect to find one.

But hidden away in the basement, in the back of a dusty, forgotten store room, where even the janitor won't go to take his regular, hourly naps, the boldest of the AV clubbers have piled enormous boxes (filled with cartons of old oatmeal, long forgotten by the fiendish ladies of the cafeteria), to create a makeshift wall. Behind this wall, sealed up Amontillado-like, they have built a secret AV Club, known only to them. Here, away from the prying eyes of the world, they watch the unaltered original cut of Star Wars preserved on an ancient 16mm print. They never speak of these cans of film outside of their hidden room for fear that "HE" might hear. "HE" with the flannel, the beard, and the burning hatred of anything other than "extra special editions." They would curse HIS name, but they fear to do so, for HIS lawyers (and fans of the false prophet Jar Jar Binks) are everywhere... everywhere but inside the room... this most holy of screening rooms... which the long since graduated and vanished members of the club fashioned in secret... so long ago. (1985, or so the legends say).

The password is: "It wasn't called A New Hope until the re-release in 1981." Once these words are uttered (in a nerdish sneer of triumph at being right about something trivial and obscure), a hand reaches out from darkness behind the boxes and gives the speaker a plush ewok doll. If the speaker stabs the doll repeatedly with a pencil or other sharp object, the boxes are moved aside and he may enter. No one knows why the hatred of the ewoks is required by ritual. To the kids of the AV Club, growing up long after Jedi was released, the ewoks always seemed okay... not like the false prophet. Everyone hates him, okie day? But ritual must be observed. As the forebears of the ancient circle hated the ewoks, so the members today must carry on the tradition.

Forever and ever, amen. (And rewind the film for Alderaan's sake. Stupid freshmen).

Eggie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/EggHeadCheesyBird/highschool.png

The computer lab was outdated when it replaced the seamstressing lab in the mid-nineties and the computers haven't been upgraded since. The teacher, Mrs Crumb, who taught seamstressship since before the invention of the sewing machine proved difficult to remove from the room (her stockings were sewn pretty tight to the carpet there) and has adapted badly to the new subject.

Basically her, and all the other students were left in the dust by a star pupil (one Elandra Desmond) who still drops in now as a part-tine teaching assistant; no-one asks her to but they don't know what she's been reprogramming the computers for over the last ten years and frankly, they're too scared to ask.

They're pretty sure she reprogrammed the handful of old sewing machines still left in the room too. Scary stuff!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Seems like you're missing a cafeteria and adequate space for such a large area.  I would suggest making the left wing off the main entrance the cafeteria area (remove the two rooms and walls there).  You might also add bathrooms on each level and a Staff Lounge somewhere.  I'm just talking about stuff pretty much all schools have.  Also, I'm not sure what the purpose of those connecting rooms on either side of the auditorium are for; that's not really standard design at all.  The auditorium should pretty much be self-contained except for an entrance and some emergency exits OUTSIDE of the building, and perhaps some rooms behind the auditorium for storage and, if the place has the money, rooms for actors to get dressed.  Also, clearly defined stairwells/elevators.

Renegade Implementor

Everything is pretty much malleable at this point.  If someone wants/needs to shift corridors or room blocks then they're free to do so.  If someone wants to stick the cafeteria in the basement they can (that's where the cafeteria was in my high school, for example).

When I did the auditorium, I based it upon the one from my high school but kept the design restricted to the auditorium rather than copying the layout of my old school exactly(if I'd done that I'd have had to include two small rooms that connected into the music room behind the auditorium and the whole design inches *that* much away from a fictional design (although I'd be the only one to recognize it and get the reference)  :)).

Once of the reasons I gave the school six stairwells and so many corridors (thus creating middle room blocks) was to better help with flow of students and for safety reasons in event of a fire or something.

Just a quick update that better defines the auditorium area and added a corridor to the back of the ground floor.

I'm also providing an alternate floorplan below.  It's narrower than the original so there's less floorspace to play around with.  If people prefer this size to the original, then have a say and we'll use the new size.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Just a thought, but it might work better to treat Ron as a campus with facilities in different buildings than an all-in-one school.  That way you can have a school center area much like the Ron boardwalk with the facilities laid out in an obvious fashion without a complex diagram.

Renegade Implementor

This was an activity for filling out one high school (Reality High).  There are other schools in the city (River Norm high and the university and whatever elementary school(s) that haven't been discovered/invented yet)... besides, I'd imaging most boards of ed would want teenagers confined to one location so they can keep an eye, er.. teach them properly. :)

When complete, this can serve as a reference for knowing the corridor structure if people what to do backgrounds or serve as a map screen if someone wants to have an adventure based in the school.

I was emailed some updates, which I've added:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk