Technobabylon: Part III - In Nuntius Veritas

Started by Technocrat, Sat 09/04/2011 05:58:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Technocrat

"It's kind of depressing that this prison cell is both bigger and cleaner than my apartment..."

Having narrowly escaped death at the hands of a bomber, agoraphobic Trance-addict Latha Sesame finds herself being questioned about the incident by the city's law-enforcement body, CEL.

Having managed to track down his blackmailer, CEL agent Doctor Regis finds himself being diverted to conduct a quick interview with a shaken young woman who may have information about a recent bomb attack related to him and his department...

Can Regis keep his story straight long enough to track down those responsible for his current strife? And can he protect this young woman?

Welcome to the future - welcome to TECHNOBABYLON: PART III

Download it from here!

If you've played it before, well, you know what you're getting into!
If you haven't started on Technobabylon, well, get yourself back to part 1!

(And don't forget to rate it on Gamejolt!)

mode7

Diath

I've been waiting for this. Congrats on finishing!

buddha

You just made my day! Thumbs up again for the quick turn-around, congratulations. Dowloading...beep

Ilyich

Just finished it! As usual, pretty cool stuff! The illustrations work really well, adding a lot to the ambience and scope. The puzzles are good and aplenty, even too much for me, perhaps (I have a special intolerance for the puzzles where you have to turn all the buttons on/off - i suck at them badly).

I liked how the debriefing felt interactive and slightly intense, even though it probably doesn't affect anything. The story progresses nicely, and it's great that you always bring new things to the table (and i don't mean the soggy food from the dispenser). I also enjoyed how you provided the details about the setting in many different and inventive ways. Terminals are awesome, basically.

Oh, and best of luck with going commercial, I'm sure you can succeed!

cianty

Oh joy! *runs off to download right away*
ca. 70% completed

ZapZap

"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Sslaxx

You left your debugging stuff ('I') enabled, by the way.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Igor Hardy

Wow! Technobabylon Part III and Gear Bladeâ,,¢.DX out on the same day!!!  :o I feel like I'm being spoiled.

Can't play yet, but will give my opinion as soon as I do.

Technocrat

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 09/04/2011 13:22:10
You left your debugging stuff ('I') enabled, by the way.

That was...intentional...I meant to do that... *shifty look*

Glad folks are liking it so far! Now I just have to get down to planning part 4! Or a different game, either way.

TheRoger

Ha! I beat it. Without walkthrough (didn't find any >.<) so......you can congratuate me  ;D

Well the game was good, as always. I was amazed by your ability to make whole game, with many puzzles, in one room and keep it interesting.

Also whole sci-fi theme was good too. Made me to want to start creating new game.

frederic09

a nice game - but too short as usual :(

i think you'll finish the part MMCXI (with the ending) around the year 2075. xD

Go, go techno.

WHAM

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Dualnames

I just finished the game, so here are my two cents. I felt this game, at least the first half was quite illogical in terms of puzzles. Some of them were just pure luck really and random clicking for me.

This comes from a guy that absolutely loves the TB games.

As the game progressed the puzzles felt better, and I could play the drone ones for ever. Even the one with the nodes was quite good imho.

I'm really looking forward to part IV regardless, but I felt this was inferior to the rest of the games. Even though it has some nice additions. It's probably me, cause I felt the TB2 is probably the best AGS game imho. And its rating, since it's ranting time, was really unfair.

Anyhow, I wish you luck. You got me hooked from part 2, regardless.
Also the music was really great in this as in all TB.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

qptain Nemo

Very inspiring, very good ideas, very good narrative that grabs you and doesn't let rest until the end. Definitely a game i was looking forward to and was happy to find released and play.  Loved the dialogue too. Well done, Technocrat. And very nice music - good work, ShiverMeSideways!

But. Pales in comparison with part 2 since it gives much less story or feels like it does. And I absolutely hated these minigamey puzzles. They didn't put more fun into the game, but rather took it out for me. Had to struggle for a good hour or more with nodes puzzle which solved accidentally, and was nearly put to sleep by drone puzzle even though solved each room almost on the first go. It's just my opinion of course but still i'd really advise to seriously reconsider inserting such puzzles in the future, since, well arbitrary puzzles don't equal fun and also they make the whole thing feel too self-aware "hey, since we're playing a game, how about some logical puzzle that has nothing to do with anything before we proceed with actual gameplay and narrative?". You know.

Still, I congratulate you with the release and wait forward to your next developments. May they be pleasant for you and for your audience.  :)

selmiak

wohah, cool stuff. I'm addicted to Trance and even more to Technobabylon  :D
The puzzles and the minigames are cool! :D

And I have a feeling not even you know yet who blackmailed Regis ;)

Monsieur OUXX

It looks really cool with the hq2x filter, because most of the graphics are outlined.

tzachs

I enjoyed this game, I found the story to be interesting still, there were a lot of cool ideas in there (like the news), and loved the mini games as well. Graphics and music were good too.

I agree with dualnames that some of the puzzles were a bit illogical, and indeed not as good as the second one (but better than the first). Also bothered me are pixel hunts (
Spoiler
table edge & bolts, I only found them halfway through the game
[close]
) and missing responses for a lot of interactions, which I really don't like.

Tabata

I HATE THIS GAME ... because it get's me infected.  :P
I want to go on with it for to know, how (and if) Regis will solve his problem and now, knowing more about Latha I am between two chairs. Who is my favorite? Who shall succeed? Will we see Jinsil and Guy again? Oh man, I'm in such a big trouble! So I need to know more and want to go on  ... NOW ... but I will have to be patient

I LOVE THIS GAME ...  because it is solid in work, handmade with heart, following a thrilling story and has intersting dialogs and possibilities (loved "breaking the fourth wall" when using the 00 several times) and cool puzzles. Also the mini-games are fitting very well and (good luck for me) all of those have been the easier variants and could be done by a little try. (I once played the hard-core variant of the second puzzle and got very frustrated, because if you don't know the rule behind it, you never ever win it.) The music is fitting very well and using mini-games this time makes it a bit different to the other parts.

A VERY WELL DONE GAME â€" CONGRATULATIONS!

Quote from: Technocrat on Sun 10/04/2011 03:52:23
Now I just have to get down to planning part 4! Or a different game, either way.

Hey! Don't go the wrong direction! :o

Believe me - there is only one thing you can think about from now on *looking deep in my eyes*:

part 4,
      part 4,
          part 4,
             part 4 ...

Sam Ferdinand

Thank you James! T-h-a-n-k- you!! I registered on the forums for the sole reason to boast about your work on the TB series, and at the same time letting all others here witness it. You see, I've filled a vital set of years with what they now call abandonware (dos games) and new-made "lo-fi" games where STORY is more important than eye-candy -- and I haven't for many years felt as involved in a game universe as I have with this. Some of the elements that made the game stand apart from many others, are as such:

A second "dimension" to swap between in gameplay. By introducing Trance, puzzles are more intriguing when solving it in two different layers.

I think your way of resolving the narrative part is a relief; letting the player choose by 'mood' or 'theme', and NOT exposing the whole sentece as most designers choose to. This way the game gets more tense and the player will have to think more carefully before choosing.

I also think people in general can relate to the characters easily, Latha being the underdog and while she apparently look weak to others, she really is strong-willed and a good person too. Charlie (Regis) is working for a dubious and probably corrupt firm, and is struggling with his doubts and inner demons. He's a real antihero.

Continuedly switching the view we're witnessing it from with every new chapter keeps us, the gamers yearningly coming back, in addition to infuriate every one of us who desperately wants to know more about one specific character ;)

So therefore I plead you not to rush the release of the games just for the sake of pleasing the audience and fans whose agitated roar says: WE WANT MORE! AND WE WANT IT NOW!!, and thus losing your good sense of storytelling that is what I fell for with these games. And finally, and I think I speak on behalf of all who have posted in this thread:
Please let us know how it ends .. but don't let the game end.. !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk