Oceanspirit Dennis: 3D [mags]

Started by Icey, Thu 28/04/2011 07:03:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

OSD.3D Can you stop the sorrow of the future?

This is a prequel to OSD.2
After the events that took place in OSD2 Dennis found a way to go back in time to see if his time traveling powers work. Dennis ended up going back into 12/24/2010. When Dennis goes back into the past he try's to save this girl from a deadly blob.

Download OSD.3D
Download OSD.2

P.S Opinions are welcomed but if they are negative then do try and keep them to yourself.

Nikolas

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 28/04/2011 07:03:40
P.S Opinions are welcomed but if they are negative then do try and keep them to yourself.
Sorry about this, but are you only looking for "HEY! GREAT JOB" kind of comments? I know that you've had some pretty harsh criticism in the past over here, but I don't see any reason to mention it here. ;)

Either way congrats on finishing yet another game!

Icey

Thanks, I just don't want to start a thread on why someone hates me or hates my game because it uses stereoscopic 3d.

Khris

This was a GREAT game. I liked how long it was, I liked the rich story, and of course I liked how it was refreshingly not another cheap Final Fantasy battle rip-off.

The self-skipping dialog at the end was amazing and I also liked how I had to sit way back to get the images to align until I couldn't reach my mouse anymore but they were still too different to align properly, unlike actual stereoscopic images.

The best about this game is the interface though.

Edit: I also loved how you expanded the idea of normal stereoscopic imaging (which can be a bit boring) by making some of the scenes out of sync.

Gudforby

Quote from: Khris on Thu 28/04/2011 13:01:01
This was a GREAT game. I liked how long it was, I liked the rich story, and of course I liked how it was refreshingly not another cheap Final Fantasy battle rip-off.

The self-skipping dialog at the end was amazing and I also liked how I had to sit way back to get the images to align until I couldn't reach my mouse anymore but they were still too different to align properly, unlike actual stereoscopic images.

Edit: I also loved how you expanded the idea of normal stereoscopic imaging (which can be a bit boring) by making some of the scenes out of sync.

WOW!! sounds AMAZING!!

With this GREAT review it's next on my to-play list.......

YEAH!!

Icey

Quote from: Khris on Thu 28/04/2011 13:01:01

1.Look I can see it's a short game.
2.I had a few days to ONLY make something small/short.
3.Stop it with the FF-rip off's. I beat square to making a 3D RPG. I not every RPG is the same :P
4.I had to make the text like that to get them in 3D.
5.I did not say you had to go to the moon just to see the game. Why didn't you just turn black eye on?
6.I can see the action box is rough. But it can be used with the 3d effect so it get's the job done.

Look I also have other things to do(School/PMQ) I only made this & gear blade to give me a little space from everything else and let me try something new.

WHAM

My only real issue with this is the fact that you are still STEALING copyrighted music, the use of which is illegal, even if the game is a bit on the old side already.

There is royalty free music abound on the internet, use that and stop stealing.

In other aspects, the game was quite confusing and you seemed to expect the player to know the characters and so forth. There is no introduction and after playing the game I have no idea who the characters were and what their motivations or connections were, if any.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Icey

I am not stealing music if it's out there for free. I like FF music a lot and I don't see SE saying to every one who puts music of FF music on youtube to take it down. I am not selling this game or any OSD game. I don't like a lot of other free music because it's not what I wan't.

I said this game is a short prequel to OSD.2, You don't even need to play the full game just download the game and play through the first battle and read that. You will know who people are. The introduction is not in this game. It is in OSD.2. If you really wan't to find out the connections they share you have to play through OSD.2.

So basically in order to understand at least who they are I recommend you play OSD.2

LimpingFish

This is not a game.

I have rated it in the database as such.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

Great to know. :D

DIDN'T I JUST SAY NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS? This why I am called a troll. People like some of you come here and post things like that. I get upset & then when I respond it ends up filling the thread with a huge argument. But I not going to get upset thus avoiding the argument.

Sephiroth

I beat square to making a 3D RPG.

I am not stealing music if it's out there for free.

DIDN'T I JUST SAY NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS?

This why I am called a troll.

Makes sense in that order.

The game looks like an early demo, I'm a big fan of FF too and I wish I could play more FF fan games but... oh well.

Icey

I would one day like to make a full 3d game but it is way to stressful to work alone and I would soon abandon it.

WHAM

The fact that someone else put the music on the internet does not make it free to use as you please.
It is my understanding that the minimum you must do in a situation like this is credit who the music originally belongs to (Squaresoft / SquareEnix), ie: "Music: Final Fantasy IX Boss Battle theme (property of SquareEnix), used without permission"

Even then its a bit shady, but as long as you are not making any money off of it, the lawyers will let it slide. Then again, if you start charging money from people at some point...

(The above may be incorrect and if someone else is more familiar with copyright law, feel free to correct me)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

cosmicr

don't worry about the music - it's not as if you're passing it off as your own or making money from it.

The biggest problems were stated by Khris.

Icey

I know there is alot of problems. When I started the game I started it in the newest version. As I was making the game I noticed more & more problems because of the switch I made. However the problem was not that big to stop me from finishing the game. :-\

@WHAM:I know the music is used with out permission and I didn't mean free that way. What I mean is that the music I could of found on iTunes and downloaded the OST. However I am smart there for if there is a way to get for free then I will take it. But I will not use it in a way to get my self in jail. When final fantasy duodecim came out I got that by downloading the iso of it however later on I still went and brought the game knowing that I had a free one. Why is this? Because I am no thief.

WHAM

Stealing something and paying for it afterwards is still stealing, i wouldn't brag about it.

Icey

No I am not saying it like hey look I got this & you don't!

It's like if you were a kid & you were at preschool & a teacher placed a cookie & a glass of milk in front of you and told you not eat it until march 30th mean while there are other kids eating there cookie with their milk & it's only march 3rd. Wouldn't you think thats quite unfair? JPN get's most of the new games before anyone else. I didn't say I was gonna take all their games & not pay for them. I just wan't a little bite of the cookie just like every one else. But what can you say, some people take a bigger bite then most then end up get caught.

P.S When downloading a iso you use it as a back up. I had the game on preorder so I think that counts as me having it even through I didn't physically have it right?

Khris

I made you a less annoying avatar:

Feel free to use it anytime. (It's even 60x60 so it won't be stretched or squashed. 8))

Ali

Hi Studio3,

I'm afraid you can't ask for 'no negative comments'. If you want feedback you have to accept people's opinions (though I think you might be entitled to ask for less sarcasm...). I haven't played any of your games, so I played this one to see if the comments of others were justified.

Here is my feedback:

The game is a very short fight/battle sequence rather than a full game, which hints at a larger story. I think it takes around 10 mins to complete.

I found the stereoscopic effect quite effective and quite fun. However the fact that the mouse cursor only appeared in the left window meant that I had to keep uncrossing my eyes to look for it, which spoiled the effect. The only other problems were the text which appeared to be further away than the wall it was in front of, and that the ground did not seem to have the correct perspective. It was also very annoying that one of the attacks was not stereoscopic, so I could never settle in to watching the game in 3D.

The hints of a story might have been intriguing, however errors like "wen't" (the word should have no apostrophe) were distracting and the use of the same coloured text for both characters meant I could only guess who was talking.

The attack system in the battle worked smoothly. Unfortunately, winning the battle was totally unchallenging. I had no awareness of the enemy ever attacking me. Nor was I aware of having to wait for my attacks to 'charge up', having a limited number of attacks, or having to take turns. I just attacked the enemy over and over again until I won, which is not a very exciting way to play a game.

You've created a game which plays like a rolling demo. I would suggest you make gameplay your priority for your next game and approach the design from the players' point of view. Extras and novelties like 3D, as nice as they may be, won't interest me without narrative engagement, challenge and fun.

EDIT:
To end on a positive note, I hope you take these thoughts on board, and good luck for the next game!

proximity

Studio3, i see you are 16 years old, very young. You will learn to deal with negative critics and feedbacks some day as you get older. We call it "experience". There are so many respectable members here like people replied your thread. You can't just treat them like they are your enemy if they don't like your game. There is no game never had a negative critic in the world. If you insist of going this way, you may not find anyone to reply your threads in the future.

And of course, don't expect your RPG games liked very much in the ADVENTURE game forums  ;)
Proximity Entertainment

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk