Oceanspirit Dennis: 3D [mags]

Started by Icey, Thu 28/04/2011 07:03:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

OSD.3D Can you stop the sorrow of the future?

This is a prequel to OSD.2
After the events that took place in OSD2 Dennis found a way to go back in time to see if his time traveling powers work. Dennis ended up going back into 12/24/2010. When Dennis goes back into the past he try's to save this girl from a deadly blob.

Download OSD.3D
Download OSD.2

P.S Opinions are welcomed but if they are negative then do try and keep them to yourself.

Nikolas

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 28/04/2011 07:03:40
P.S Opinions are welcomed but if they are negative then do try and keep them to yourself.
Sorry about this, but are you only looking for "HEY! GREAT JOB" kind of comments? I know that you've had some pretty harsh criticism in the past over here, but I don't see any reason to mention it here. ;)

Either way congrats on finishing yet another game!

Icey

Thanks, I just don't want to start a thread on why someone hates me or hates my game because it uses stereoscopic 3d.

Khris

This was a GREAT game. I liked how long it was, I liked the rich story, and of course I liked how it was refreshingly not another cheap Final Fantasy battle rip-off.

The self-skipping dialog at the end was amazing and I also liked how I had to sit way back to get the images to align until I couldn't reach my mouse anymore but they were still too different to align properly, unlike actual stereoscopic images.

The best about this game is the interface though.

Edit: I also loved how you expanded the idea of normal stereoscopic imaging (which can be a bit boring) by making some of the scenes out of sync.

Gudforby

Quote from: Khris on Thu 28/04/2011 13:01:01
This was a GREAT game. I liked how long it was, I liked the rich story, and of course I liked how it was refreshingly not another cheap Final Fantasy battle rip-off.

The self-skipping dialog at the end was amazing and I also liked how I had to sit way back to get the images to align until I couldn't reach my mouse anymore but they were still too different to align properly, unlike actual stereoscopic images.

Edit: I also loved how you expanded the idea of normal stereoscopic imaging (which can be a bit boring) by making some of the scenes out of sync.

WOW!! sounds AMAZING!!

With this GREAT review it's next on my to-play list.......

YEAH!!

Icey

Quote from: Khris on Thu 28/04/2011 13:01:01

1.Look I can see it's a short game.
2.I had a few days to ONLY make something small/short.
3.Stop it with the FF-rip off's. I beat square to making a 3D RPG. I not every RPG is the same :P
4.I had to make the text like that to get them in 3D.
5.I did not say you had to go to the moon just to see the game. Why didn't you just turn black eye on?
6.I can see the action box is rough. But it can be used with the 3d effect so it get's the job done.

Look I also have other things to do(School/PMQ) I only made this & gear blade to give me a little space from everything else and let me try something new.

WHAM

My only real issue with this is the fact that you are still STEALING copyrighted music, the use of which is illegal, even if the game is a bit on the old side already.

There is royalty free music abound on the internet, use that and stop stealing.

In other aspects, the game was quite confusing and you seemed to expect the player to know the characters and so forth. There is no introduction and after playing the game I have no idea who the characters were and what their motivations or connections were, if any.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Icey

I am not stealing music if it's out there for free. I like FF music a lot and I don't see SE saying to every one who puts music of FF music on youtube to take it down. I am not selling this game or any OSD game. I don't like a lot of other free music because it's not what I wan't.

I said this game is a short prequel to OSD.2, You don't even need to play the full game just download the game and play through the first battle and read that. You will know who people are. The introduction is not in this game. It is in OSD.2. If you really wan't to find out the connections they share you have to play through OSD.2.

So basically in order to understand at least who they are I recommend you play OSD.2

LimpingFish

This is not a game.

I have rated it in the database as such.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

Great to know. :D

DIDN'T I JUST SAY NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS? This why I am called a troll. People like some of you come here and post things like that. I get upset & then when I respond it ends up filling the thread with a huge argument. But I not going to get upset thus avoiding the argument.

Sephiroth

I beat square to making a 3D RPG.

I am not stealing music if it's out there for free.

DIDN'T I JUST SAY NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS?

This why I am called a troll.

Makes sense in that order.

The game looks like an early demo, I'm a big fan of FF too and I wish I could play more FF fan games but... oh well.

Icey

I would one day like to make a full 3d game but it is way to stressful to work alone and I would soon abandon it.

WHAM

The fact that someone else put the music on the internet does not make it free to use as you please.
It is my understanding that the minimum you must do in a situation like this is credit who the music originally belongs to (Squaresoft / SquareEnix), ie: "Music: Final Fantasy IX Boss Battle theme (property of SquareEnix), used without permission"

Even then its a bit shady, but as long as you are not making any money off of it, the lawyers will let it slide. Then again, if you start charging money from people at some point...

(The above may be incorrect and if someone else is more familiar with copyright law, feel free to correct me)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

cosmicr

don't worry about the music - it's not as if you're passing it off as your own or making money from it.

The biggest problems were stated by Khris.

Icey

I know there is alot of problems. When I started the game I started it in the newest version. As I was making the game I noticed more & more problems because of the switch I made. However the problem was not that big to stop me from finishing the game. :-\

@WHAM:I know the music is used with out permission and I didn't mean free that way. What I mean is that the music I could of found on iTunes and downloaded the OST. However I am smart there for if there is a way to get for free then I will take it. But I will not use it in a way to get my self in jail. When final fantasy duodecim came out I got that by downloading the iso of it however later on I still went and brought the game knowing that I had a free one. Why is this? Because I am no thief.

WHAM

Stealing something and paying for it afterwards is still stealing, i wouldn't brag about it.

Icey

No I am not saying it like hey look I got this & you don't!

It's like if you were a kid & you were at preschool & a teacher placed a cookie & a glass of milk in front of you and told you not eat it until march 30th mean while there are other kids eating there cookie with their milk & it's only march 3rd. Wouldn't you think thats quite unfair? JPN get's most of the new games before anyone else. I didn't say I was gonna take all their games & not pay for them. I just wan't a little bite of the cookie just like every one else. But what can you say, some people take a bigger bite then most then end up get caught.

P.S When downloading a iso you use it as a back up. I had the game on preorder so I think that counts as me having it even through I didn't physically have it right?

Khris

I made you a less annoying avatar:

Feel free to use it anytime. (It's even 60x60 so it won't be stretched or squashed. 8))

Ali

Hi Studio3,

I'm afraid you can't ask for 'no negative comments'. If you want feedback you have to accept people's opinions (though I think you might be entitled to ask for less sarcasm...). I haven't played any of your games, so I played this one to see if the comments of others were justified.

Here is my feedback:

The game is a very short fight/battle sequence rather than a full game, which hints at a larger story. I think it takes around 10 mins to complete.

I found the stereoscopic effect quite effective and quite fun. However the fact that the mouse cursor only appeared in the left window meant that I had to keep uncrossing my eyes to look for it, which spoiled the effect. The only other problems were the text which appeared to be further away than the wall it was in front of, and that the ground did not seem to have the correct perspective. It was also very annoying that one of the attacks was not stereoscopic, so I could never settle in to watching the game in 3D.

The hints of a story might have been intriguing, however errors like "wen't" (the word should have no apostrophe) were distracting and the use of the same coloured text for both characters meant I could only guess who was talking.

The attack system in the battle worked smoothly. Unfortunately, winning the battle was totally unchallenging. I had no awareness of the enemy ever attacking me. Nor was I aware of having to wait for my attacks to 'charge up', having a limited number of attacks, or having to take turns. I just attacked the enemy over and over again until I won, which is not a very exciting way to play a game.

You've created a game which plays like a rolling demo. I would suggest you make gameplay your priority for your next game and approach the design from the players' point of view. Extras and novelties like 3D, as nice as they may be, won't interest me without narrative engagement, challenge and fun.

EDIT:
To end on a positive note, I hope you take these thoughts on board, and good luck for the next game!

proximity

Studio3, i see you are 16 years old, very young. You will learn to deal with negative critics and feedbacks some day as you get older. We call it "experience". There are so many respectable members here like people replied your thread. You can't just treat them like they are your enemy if they don't like your game. There is no game never had a negative critic in the world. If you insist of going this way, you may not find anyone to reply your threads in the future.

And of course, don't expect your RPG games liked very much in the ADVENTURE game forums  ;)
Proximity Entertainment

ddq

Jesus, show some restraint. Not Icey, everyone else. It's just more obvious rage-bait, even if it's unintentional. Just ignore it.

Khris

Icey

@Ali: I will take your advice. And thanks for the feed back.

@Proximity: I understand what you mean. But I don't get mad at people for not liking my game. It's all about the past that connects to my game. No one really liked Fire fly story, So that's why I gave it another shot with this game. The games will get better over time & seeing how this was a improvement I know my 3rd game will be better.

Icey

Quote from: Khris on Fri 29/04/2011 09:53:24

Feel free to use it anytime. (It's even 60x60 so it won't be stretched or squashed. 8))

I would use it, But I got people coming in here looking at my game from squares FB page & other links like google/youtube. I need as much good publicity to get noticed by the big boys at SE.
But let's just leave it at that.

Dave Gilbert

Um.

I honestly don't get what I just played.

Edit: I get the feeling that I'm missing some kind of history here, so perhaps I'm not in on the joke.

Matti

Was there any idea behind that battle? You have different kind of attacks but no indication at all of what difference they make.. and it seems that whatever you choose you win anway. What's the point? Where's the fun?

Icey

The battle log is there to indicate What's happening. And after I finished it I noticed that the game is not a win or lose. It's more of a win or win. The attacks that player use are stronger then the enemy. It seems the only way to lose is by letting the timer run out.

Charity

Icey.  It occurs to me that your games might be better received if you found an experienced, non-abusive playtester to help you work out the kinks before you release the game to public scrutiny.  Virtually every game that anyone makes is buggy at first, and it is very easy to write stories that make sense in your own head but are hard to follow for people who don't know all the background and what exactly you are trying to tell them.

I don't know who all you have playtesting your games, but from the types of products you tend to produce, I suspect that either you are not using people who are experienced in critiquing games and stories (friends and family are often a bad choice, as they are biased in your favor and often do not know what kinds of problems to look for), or you are simply not putting in enough effort to implement their feedback.

Try asking for playtesters in the help wanted thread, or contact someone who has given you helpful and polite feedback in the past.  Show them what you consider the finished build of your game, listen to their suggestions, fix the problems that they point out to the best of your ability, show them the game with the changes, listen to their feedback again.  Keep doing this until you have the best product you can make, and THEN release it.  Getting more than one good playtester will not hurt, either.

I can't promise that people will like your games, but I think you will have much better feedback from the community than you are currently getting.  If nothing  else you will get fewer complaints about confusing writing and interface issues, and more about comparatively nuanced game mechanics and storytelling issues, which, once addressed, may greatly expand your abilities as a designer and storyteller.

Icey

Your right. A lot I like t do things on my own but it wouldn't hurt to try and ask for people to test my games.

Matti

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 29/04/2011 21:44:43
The battle log is there to indicate What's happening.

Yeah, but if one attack is stronger than others you end up just using that one attack - that's no battle system, not if there's just one enemy anway.

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 29/04/2011 22:54:49
Your right. A lot I like t do things on my own but it wouldn't hurt to try and ask for people to test my games.

You have to let people test your game. You can still make the game all by yourself, but you need honest feedback before you release a game. At least take the criticism into account when making a new game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about this:

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 29/04/2011 20:53:33
I would use it, But I got people coming in here looking at my game from squares FB page & other links like google/youtube. I need as much good publicity to get noticed by the big boys at SE.

You aren't serious, right?

LimpingFish

But let's just leave it at that.

What? I mean...what?

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 29/04/2011 21:07:33
Um.

I honestly don't get what I just played.

Edit: I get the feeling that I'm missing some kind of history here, so perhaps I'm not in on the joke.

It's less of a joke, and more of a hilarious tragedy. Like a clown being kicked in the balls.

Ponch

I need as much good publicity to get noticed by the big boys at SE.

Icey, this is why I love you.  :D

Icey

It's true, But I try to maintain a good thread because every little thing we do seems to get added to google.

Jared

My response is so positive that merely opening this thread put my pants in danger of exploding

abstauber

Well, congrats on finishing. I suppose I know which direction you're heading to, but you're still miles away. Instead on wasting time on the 3D effect you should have put more effort into the "game" itself.

Oh well, at least your graphics are alright ;)

Icey

Um, Thanks.

I know this game looks bad but my upcoming game will be better then any game I made & it will be longer.

WHAM

Quote from: Studio3 on Sat 30/04/2011 15:28:44
I know this game looks bad but my upcoming game will be better then any game I made & it will be longer.

If you KNOW your game / games look bad, why release them? Why not test them, find ways to improve them and then, AFTER making them GOOD, release them.

Icey

I had 9 days to make a game, there were many little problems because of me making it in ags 3.2.2.

I do test my games, I don't just throw things in and hope it works.

Atelier

Quote from: Studio3 on Sat 30/04/2011 17:15:18
I had 9 days to make a game

Hmm, I actually suggested you join the next MAGS (ie MAGS May) :-\ I wouldn't expect anybody to enter with only a week left.

Icey

Ohh-I could of pulled it off but I ran out ideas.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Khris on Fri 29/04/2011 09:53:24

This is gonna be my avatar for a week! ;D

Icey.. Studio3:
This months MAGS have also been extended. You would still have had more time to fix things etc...
I have yet to try this or any of your games for that matter (Might of tried a couple but can't remember).

Will probably download and try today, even though the 3D thing don't really tempt me....

Icey

Peder 🚀

The MAGS? This wednesday I believe!

Also, I am trying this 3D thing but I just can't do it..
I guess it is not for everyone..

Icey

I could try to fix things up.

Maybe you should looking at the some stereoscopic pics on google.

Peder 🚀

I did, I even checked the website you linked towards in your readme file.
But it's just not for me I am afraid!

voh

I know you've been called a troll. I know you generally get a lot of sarcasm.

I'm trying real hard not to do the same, but I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder. All the mention of being noticed by SE? That's just too ridiculous for anyone of your age and skill level to seriously consider to be realistic.

Don't stop dreaming, by all means, if you want to end up at SE, go for it!

Just stop telling us about it, because every time you do, we either just feel really sad for you, or we have immense trouble stopping the raucous laughter that's almost giving us an aneurysm.

Re: the game.

Niggles: Stereoscopic images don't work for me. Headaches galore. Battle system non-existent and no fun due to impossibility of losing. Felt like Me With Axe VS Ikea Table. Felt rushed. Evidently is rushed.

Conclusion: Shouldn't have been released.
Still here.

Hudders

Peder 🚀

This being a game or not is really not relevant if you ask me... Though I do think you should just drop this whole 3D thing Icey.
I'd really love to see something from you that is not inspired by/taken from Final Fantasy (I honestly can't stand those games).  And you should concentrate on 1 project at a time and maybe do short games? :).

(I really need to learn 1 project at a time myself...)

Icey

I am only going to work on my upcoming game due to recent reviews from a testers. It will take me 2-3 months to finish the game.

R4L

Quote from: Studio3 on Tue 03/05/2011 03:26:44
I am only going to work on my upcoming game due to recent reviews from a testers. It will take me 2-3 months to finish the game.

Is it anything Final Fantasy related?  :-\

Icey

Uh, well. In my eyes its an original that is an Adventure/RPG with a few (2) FF reference's like the moogle's(Only reason why I keep them is because they are not that big of a deal to have & people think they are cute & they fit the game with out you even knowing its a reference because there is only one moogle & it is referred to as Mr.Mog.

In the eyes of a lot of AGS members it's nothing but a big FF rip of that takes every thing from Final fantasy.

Hudders

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Tue 03/05/2011 00:49:59
This being a game or not is really not relevant if you ask me...

Given that this is an entry into a game making competition and is posted under "completed game announcements", I'd say it is relevant.

Technocrat

Quote from: Studio3 on Tue 03/05/2011 05:28:20
Uh, well. In my eyes its an original that is an Adventure/RPG with a few (2) FF reference's like the moogle's(Only reason why I keep them is because they are not that big of a deal to have & people think they are cute & they fit the game with out you even knowing its a reference because there is only one moogle & it is referred to as Mr.Mog.

In the eyes of a lot of AGS members it's nothing but a big FF rip of that takes every thing from Final fantasy.

It's more than just the wholesale transfer of game elements (like moogles - replace them with hamsters, or something), but also the aesthetic. The first thing I think of, when I see pictures from you games, is Kingdom Hearts. I can appreciate trying to capture the feeling of something that one has been inspired by, but I'm sure people would agree that yours always go waaay beyond inspiration, and head straight into "original fanfic" territory.

Monsieur OUXX

The guy just meant he doesn't want to be insyulted. The fact that he wrote "I don't want negative comments" was an unfortunate way to express his request, and he paid the price for it. But you still knew what he meant (unless you're autistic), and your conscience will torture you for the rest of your life (I hope)  :)

R4L

Quote from: Studio3 on Tue 03/05/2011 05:28:20

Well, that's because it is. You didn't create Moogles. Just having them in your own game with it's own storyline assumes you made them up. And it is a big deal considering you don't have permission to use them, but I'm just saying the same stuff countless people have already told you on here, so I'll spare you for my own sake.

Like Technocrat said, your games give the vibe of Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy. That would be cool if it actually didn't contain characters and elements from BOTH franchises...

Don't mistake this post as insulting. I'm just expressing my opinion on the matter.

Icey

I am not going to get upset at all yet I feel I should state my opinion.

1.One of the biggest reason my games give of the FF/Kh vibe is because of the character art. Even if I wan't to change my art style I couldn't because I been accustomed to drawing FF style for years.

2. I just wan't to put out there that there are two different PMQ series.

PMQ.Legends has been based of my of Final fantasy since 2005 but it was always it's own story.

PMQ is a completely separate story that has nothing from FF or KH games. This series stated in 2009 right around the time I joined AGS.

Khris

He's still trying to hammer the square enix block into the round hole.

From a final fantasy forum, posted today:
Edit: quote removed

Basically, we are incapable of judging what a true FF game needs. Also, fixing known errors before starting a new beta-test is optional.

Edit after his post: it's "want", not "wan't".

Icey

Oh I noticed that however I don't get any errors for that so I barely notice it. Only when talking and typing like I am doing now.

I need you guys to test my game because you actually know your way around AGS & it's basics.
I need them to test my game because I need it to have more of a FF feel. & I don't mean the story or anything, But there are key elements FF games have the make the story so good. Ali shared his thought and it provide me with a way to make the story long and stick to the game. Every ones thought count but it's how I feel to use them.

How did you find my post? I am petty sure it wasn't that hard but it's weird that you found it just like that.

Ali

Quote from: Khris on Tue 03/05/2011 20:38:07
He's still trying to hammer the square enix block into the round hole.

From a final fantasy forum, posted today:
QuoteOn with my point now. I am a game developer & art director at my indie game company called Studio3. Right now we are working on a game that is called Pub master quest Legends. The game is sorta plays the role of a Final fantasy game. I recently had a tester on another Forum review my games beta.

He gave me a long & detailed list on this I should fix & add.

unfortunately I am currently processing all the fixes. However I still have the same testing beta & I would like for other FF fans to test it out and give me their thoughts.

It matters more that you guys try since you know what a true FF game needs.

Basically, we are incapable of judging what a true FF game needs. Also, fixing known errors before starting a new beta-test is optional.

Edit after his post: it's "want", not "wan't".

Come on now, this is unfair. The guy can't ask Final Fantasy fans if they like his Final Fantasy fangame?

If you have to search other websites for reasons to be annoyed with Studio3, then that's pretty strong evidence that he's not trolling here.

Sorry to go off topic.

Grim

Quote from: Studio3 on Tue 03/05/2011 20:47:06

Every ones thought count

Look, I'm really sorry, but I thought I'd share my thoughts if you don't mind (if they count too). Since every time I see your game mentioned I only have this one thought, really... I decided it would be best to express it by this picture:

I don't mean it in a nasty way.Actually, I like it how through perserverance you turned from hated by all troll into some sort of forum pet... ;)

Peanut Monkey

I tend to agree with Ali - using posts from other forums is too much (both in fairness and, well, effort).  Just let it go.

Having said that and moving onto the 'game', it's pretty much all been said.  Please spend more time on your games rather than churning them out to the public, conveyor belt-style.  Seriously (and trying to help), perhaps many of them would never see the light of day but that's fine because at least you'd be learning as you went along until you got it just right.  Having enthusiasm and passion is fine, but you need to balance it.

Icey

@Ali: Thanks. I notice any were else I post when this type of stuff happens other people are the ones who are called the troll. :P

@grim: I sorta find the picture quite amusing.

@Peanut: From now on I am going to get testers to try my game before I release something like this again.

m0ds

HAHAHAHA Grim!

The icemaster spirit penis strikes again!!!  :=

Well done Alvin for your new release!

Khris

I found the post from the other forum purely by accident. (I was looking at the new avatar at its original size and found it was hosted on a FF forum. I don't spend my day googling iceygames.)

Since icey had just tried to give the impression that his upcoming game (PMQ.Legends) isn't really a FF game:
QuoteUh, well. In my eyes its an original that is an Adventure/RPG with a few (2) FF reference's like the moogle's

I felt the need to contrast that with what he said on the other forum:
QuoteThe game is sorta plays the role of a Final fantasy game.
[...]
It matters more that you guys try since you know what a true FF game needs.

Otherwise I'd never have mentioned let alone posted it. Make of that what you will.

Icey

I said my PMQ games are not FF games however they are like FF games. Because They are constantly called rip-offs of FF they are sorta forced to be title FF.

LimpingFish

I don't think Khris was wrong in pointing out Icey's FF quote, seeing as it pretty much goes against his repeated assurances that he's over his SE hump. I mean, half of his complaining about being treated as a troll here is that people wrongly accuse him of just being an FF fanboy.

Quote from: Studio3 on Tue 03/05/2011 23:58:03
I said my PMQ games are not FF games however they are like FF games. Because They are constantly called rip-offs of FF they are sorta forced to be title FF.

What? They're called FF rip-offs because they have FF music and such in them. That's how they started out, and that's how they still are. Drop the mogs, drop the music, don't use FF spell names, etc, and then we'll see.

Icey

I have a composer for my PMQ game. I include mog because he is supposed to be mog.net. Most moogles are different from the last in design and background in FF games. Moogle is never mentioned in my game. He is only called Mr.Mog and nothing more. & he has a big belt around his belly which he keeps items in. I dropped the Black magic & White magic and invented particle magic. It uses the same magic attacks that B/W wizards use but only it is all conjured up by particles. Also I never planed to sell my games so I use the music in most of my games because it fits the settings.

Hudders

I bet if you released a game, any game, that wasn't related to FF at all you could come back afterwards and make as many FF games as you liked without half as much of the grief you're getting now. At the moment you come off as a one-trick pony and you're being treated as such, show the world you've got other things up your sleeve and everybody will benefit.

Edit: Oh, wait:

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 13/05/2010 00:06:53
I don't think anybody should be run out of here just because they ask questions, ignore the answers, ask more questions, rinse, repeat.

That way lies elitism!

Icey should make a small game, unrelated to ANYTHING made by Square Enix, that will help he learn the basics of making an rpg.

A room. The player. One monster. 50 HP points for each character. One attack for each character. A simple battle mechanic (rock-paper-scissors, say, or a random number generator).

If he can pull that off, without melting, we're done.

Hm.

Icey

Well what about gear blade. It wasn't an RPG.

Khris

According to your own website:

Quote|gear blade

this game is about to different world coming to together to bring in a new rpg world as pin off tale from icey games pub master quest.

Also, "wasn't"? Is it finished?

LimpingFish

Quote from: Hudders on Wed 04/05/2011 09:56:57

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 13/05/2010 00:06:53
I don't think anybody should be run out of here just because they ask questions, ignore the answers, ask more questions, rinse, repeat.

That way lies elitism!

Icey should make a small game, unrelated to ANYTHING made by Square Enix, that will help he learn the basics of making an rpg.

A room. The player. One monster. 50 HP points for each character. One attack for each character. A simple battle mechanic (rock-paper-scissors, say, or a random number generator).

If he can pull that off, without melting, we're done.

Wow, almost a year has passed since I wrote that. And yet we still find ourselves in pretty much the same boat. To be fair to Icey, he managed to almost do what I asked of him.

The rest of that quote still accurately represents my feelings towards Icey's place in the community, though my tolerance of him is now tinged with exasperation.

No rest for the Squeenix.

mode7

I will just try to ignore all this discussion and say my opinion on the game cause thats what I feel this thread should be about:

Honestly speaking this is a rather pointless fight sequence, like in some of your earlier games.
Its like playing a very small part of a actual game. theres some story which is completely out of context so it doesn't has any relevance and thats all I can say. I didn't try the 3d stuff because the crosseye thing is the worst option for 3d i can think of.

Some advise if you want it:
There's nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from Final Fantasy. That was one of the reason I started making games. They tell a epic (yet often quite stupid) story and present it in a cinematic style. What I never liked about FF games is the mindless fighting. I was still willing to go through that because I wanted the story to go on.

Maybe you should focus more on the other aspects of FF next time. Especially trying to tell a story from beginning to end (^^ kind of a stupid advice from me I know)

Gear Blade DX was a good beginning try to prosecute that approach. Your art is getting better and better. Time to evolve!

Icey

Thanks mode7, I usually study FF game from 7-13 & other spin offs. I do however like to look at other games to get a feel of some things my game may need or should have.

Gear Blade was ok but it had no music due to the fact I didn't want to use squares music. Ben's art is not sorta hard( And I mean that in a good way). They way he draws seems basic but it is hard to grasp. I do however plan to finish gear blade.DX though.

Takyon

I haven't played the game and I don't know the history but I love how people are slating this game in one breath whilst telling someone their horrifyingly bad graphics are great with the next.
ghost.

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 28/04/2011 07:03:40
After the events that took place in OSD2 Dennis found a way to go back in time to see if his time traveling powers work.

Dammit! You ruined the ending to OSD2! Now I can't play it...

ig299

hey how did  you make a health bar

Icey

Well they are actually Health Indicators.

Here's a look at a edited piece of the S3 RPG module or script I made to use for my games.

Code: ags

//Place this line in a New script
function repeatedly_execute_always() {

}
(%d) this is where the numbers will be shown.

PlayerHP or PlayerBaseHP is the Variable used to express the players health. You must make a Int Variable in the Global Variable section.
You can give it a set number like 100 or something in the 3rd text box. Or you can do it somewhere in the room script.
Just put PlayerHP += (what ever amount you want).

Note: If your gonna sue PlayerBaseHP then you gotta use Player HP.

If use something like a Potion or a Hi-Potion is used by the player which might make the PlayersHP exceed the PlayerBaseHP. 
You would use something like this in the new script:

----------------
if(PlayerHP >= PlayerBaseHP){
    PlayerHP = PlayerBaseHP;
  }
---------------

PlayerHpLabel.Text = String.Format("HP:%d", PlayerHP);//Health of the player

or

PlayerHpLabel.Text = String.Format("HP:%d/%d", PlayerHP, PlayerBaseHP);//Health of the player

}

Edit/add anything you want, just keep it all in the Function I gave you above.

ig299

thank-you i appreciate it i realy do

Icey

No prob dude. PM me and maybe I can help a little more if you need me.

Construed

Well, I had no problem viewing the 3d!!

I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Icey

Awesome! At least one person didn't have a prob with the 3D!  :D
Thanks grim.

Construed

No problem, I've always been a big 3d enthusiast.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Monsieur OUXX

EDIT: unnecessary post.

ig299

Quote from: Icey games on Thu 23/02/2012 23:16:44
Well they are actually Health Indicators.

Here's a look at a edited piece of the S3 RPG module or script I made to use for my games.

Code: ags

//Place this line in a New script
function repeatedly_execute_always() { wait a sacond you have to make your own function right

}
(%d) this is where the numbers will be shown.

PlayerHP or PlayerBaseHP is the Variable used to express the players health. You must make a Int Variable in the Global Variable section.
You can give it a set number like 100 or something in the 3rd text box. Or you can do it somewhere in the room script.
Just put PlayerHP += (what ever amount you want).

Note: If your gonna sue PlayerBaseHP then you gotta use Player HP.

If use something like a Potion or a Hi-Potion is used by the player which might make the PlayersHP exceed the PlayerBaseHP. 
You would use something like this in the new script:

----------------
if(PlayerHP >= PlayerBaseHP){
    PlayerHP = PlayerBaseHP;
  }
---------------

PlayerHpLabel.Text = String.Format("HP:%d", PlayerHP);//Health of the player

or

PlayerHpLabel.Text = String.Format("HP:%d/%d", PlayerHP, PlayerBaseHP);//Health of the player

}

Edit/add anything you want, just keep it all in the Function I gave you above.

ig299

wait a second you have to make your own function right?

LimpingFish

@ig299

As Icey has suggested, you would be better off taking any questions you have for him to PM. Thanks. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk