Oceanspirit Dennis: 3D [mags]

Started by Icey, Thu 28/04/2011 07:03:40

Previous topic - Next topic

ddq

Jesus, show some restraint. Not Icey, everyone else. It's just more obvious rage-bait, even if it's unintentional. Just ignore it.

Khris

Icey

@Ali: I will take your advice. And thanks for the feed back.

@Proximity: I understand what you mean. But I don't get mad at people for not liking my game. It's all about the past that connects to my game. No one really liked Fire fly story, So that's why I gave it another shot with this game. The games will get better over time & seeing how this was a improvement I know my 3rd game will be better.

Icey

Quote from: Khris on Fri 29/04/2011 09:53:24
I made you a less annoying avatar:

Feel free to use it anytime. (It's even 60x60 so it won't be stretched or squashed. 8))

I would use it, But I got people coming in here looking at my game from squares FB page & other links like google/youtube. I need as much good publicity to get noticed by the big boys at SE.
But let's just leave it at that.

Dave Gilbert

Um.

I honestly don't get what I just played.

Edit: I get the feeling that I'm missing some kind of history here, so perhaps I'm not in on the joke.

Matti

Was there any idea behind that battle? You have different kind of attacks but no indication at all of what difference they make.. and it seems that whatever you choose you win anway. What's the point? Where's the fun?

Icey

The battle log is there to indicate What's happening. And after I finished it I noticed that the game is not a win or lose. It's more of a win or win. The attacks that player use are stronger then the enemy. It seems the only way to lose is by letting the timer run out.

Charity

Icey.  It occurs to me that your games might be better received if you found an experienced, non-abusive playtester to help you work out the kinks before you release the game to public scrutiny.  Virtually every game that anyone makes is buggy at first, and it is very easy to write stories that make sense in your own head but are hard to follow for people who don't know all the background and what exactly you are trying to tell them.

I don't know who all you have playtesting your games, but from the types of products you tend to produce, I suspect that either you are not using people who are experienced in critiquing games and stories (friends and family are often a bad choice, as they are biased in your favor and often do not know what kinds of problems to look for), or you are simply not putting in enough effort to implement their feedback.

Try asking for playtesters in the help wanted thread, or contact someone who has given you helpful and polite feedback in the past.  Show them what you consider the finished build of your game, listen to their suggestions, fix the problems that they point out to the best of your ability, show them the game with the changes, listen to their feedback again.  Keep doing this until you have the best product you can make, and THEN release it.  Getting more than one good playtester will not hurt, either.

I can't promise that people will like your games, but I think you will have much better feedback from the community than you are currently getting.  If nothing  else you will get fewer complaints about confusing writing and interface issues, and more about comparatively nuanced game mechanics and storytelling issues, which, once addressed, may greatly expand your abilities as a designer and storyteller.

Icey

Your right. A lot I like t do things on my own but it wouldn't hurt to try and ask for people to test my games.

Matti

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 29/04/2011 21:44:43
The battle log is there to indicate What's happening.

Yeah, but if one attack is stronger than others you end up just using that one attack - that's no battle system, not if there's just one enemy anway.

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 29/04/2011 22:54:49
Your right. A lot I like t do things on my own but it wouldn't hurt to try and ask for people to test my games.

You have to let people test your game. You can still make the game all by yourself, but you need honest feedback before you release a game. At least take the criticism into account when making a new game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about this:

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 29/04/2011 20:53:33
I would use it, But I got people coming in here looking at my game from squares FB page & other links like google/youtube. I need as much good publicity to get noticed by the big boys at SE.

You aren't serious, right?

LimpingFish

But let's just leave it at that.

What? I mean...what?

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 29/04/2011 21:07:33
Um.

I honestly don't get what I just played.

Edit: I get the feeling that I'm missing some kind of history here, so perhaps I'm not in on the joke.

It's less of a joke, and more of a hilarious tragedy. Like a clown being kicked in the balls.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ponch

I need as much good publicity to get noticed by the big boys at SE.

Icey, this is why I love you.  :D

Icey

It's true, But I try to maintain a good thread because every little thing we do seems to get added to google.

Jared

My response is so positive that merely opening this thread put my pants in danger of exploding

abstauber

Well, congrats on finishing. I suppose I know which direction you're heading to, but you're still miles away. Instead on wasting time on the 3D effect you should have put more effort into the "game" itself.

Oh well, at least your graphics are alright ;)

Icey

Um, Thanks.

I know this game looks bad but my upcoming game will be better then any game I made & it will be longer.

WHAM

Quote from: Studio3 on Sat 30/04/2011 15:28:44
I know this game looks bad but my upcoming game will be better then any game I made & it will be longer.

If you KNOW your game / games look bad, why release them? Why not test them, find ways to improve them and then, AFTER making them GOOD, release them.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Icey

I had 9 days to make a game, there were many little problems because of me making it in ags 3.2.2.

I do test my games, I don't just throw things in and hope it works.

Atelier

Quote from: Studio3 on Sat 30/04/2011 17:15:18
I had 9 days to make a game

Hmm, I actually suggested you join the next MAGS (ie MAGS May) :-\ I wouldn't expect anybody to enter with only a week left.

Icey

Ohh-I could of pulled it off but I ran out ideas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk