[MAGS] Concurrence

Started by mode7, Sat 07/05/2011 13:51:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudders

Quoteit looks a little rough (in its defence, it was made using Adventure Game Studio!)

>:(

Khris

I think what he means isn't "AGS can't produce decent games so that's to be expected" but "the engine wasn't made for that type of game at all and he still pulled it off".

mode7

thanks for all the nice critique! I really appreciate it! As I mentioned before i will give the engine a little overhaul before continuing. Namely braking the running up into 4 instead of 2 steps, which makes it much more precise when falling down and far jumping. I'll also implent some mechanism that makes you stop at an edge when walking.
Actually, I could have fixed that by now but I have to do quite a lot of work for university (which I didn't do because I was busy playing portal 2)

Anyway...
Damn...I just saw whams post down here. No way Kotaku. This is...good I guess. Unless Radiohead is going to sue me....

Blaming AGS for the stuff I did is not really fair. If its buggy its my fault and not ags one.
Apparently some people are a bit put off because of the animations. Yes they are mostly traced over the flashback frames. I honestly didnt think much about rotoscoping rotoscoped animations would be that much of a big deal, especially as I didn't have that much time equipment or even room to capture these animations myself.
As for Thom Yorke..well - that was the first picture I found on my HD. He didn't come to record the facial expressions though - I had to do them myself. :=

Igor Hardy

The game's an amazing super-atmospheric tribute to Another World, but I had great trouble getting through some segments not knowing where to stand, run or not to run. Couldn't beat the part with the rock falling from under your feet for example.

But I understand that it's MAGS and all future versions will be even better.

Matti

Quote from: Ascovel on Thu 12/05/2011 22:31:05
Couldn't beat the part with the rock falling from under your feet for example.

Spoiler
run & jump & jump
[close]

Igor Hardy

Oh, I meant I couldn't do it for a long time, but I finally made it past that segment.

Igor Hardy

Now I'm seriously stuck. How to open the blast doors? Do I need to go back to do something?

Anian

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 13/05/2011 22:00:54
Now I'm seriously stuck. How to open the blast doors? Do I need to go back to do something?
Read through the thread.  ;)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

AnalogGuy

LOL. And I seriously... I mean seriously, thought that Concurrence would be too easy for you all...  ;D

Well, luckily I was wrong and I am glad now for that. For me it was easy, maybe because I am so familiar with the Another World  ;)
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: anian on Fri 13/05/2011 22:08:41
Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 13/05/2011 22:00:54
Read through the thread.  ;)

I did. Some other door is discussed, or if it's the same one, it concerns a later point in the game.

I'm near the door with the console where some text in Latin shows and where you find a pipe lying on the ground. Also the countdown has just begun.

Quote from: ptpt88 on Fri 13/05/2011 22:09:37
Well, luckily I was wrong and I am glad now for that. For me it was easy, maybe because I am so familiar with the Another World  ;)

I'm familiar with Another World, but this didn't help me much. :( I'm also too lazy to jump all the locations back, unless I can be sure this is the solution.

Anian

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 13/05/2011 23:13:33I did. Some other door is discussed, or if it's the same one, it concerns a later point in the game.

I'm near the door where the console where some text in Latin shows and where you find a pipe lying on the ground. Also the countdown has just begun.
Hate to disappoint you, but it's that door, it's the last "thing you have to do" in the MAGS version. Though the screens really show an interesting game ahead in production.

Tabata

@Ascovel
Did you
Spoiler
cut the vines to the right?
[close]

Igor Hardy

Quote from: anian on Fri 13/05/2011 23:17:50
Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 13/05/2011 23:13:33I did. Some other door is discussed, or if it's the same one, it concerns a later point in the game.

I'm near the door where the console where some text in Latin shows and where you find a pipe lying on the ground. Also the countdown has just begun.
Hate to disappoint you, but it's that door, it's the last "thing you have to do" in the MAGS version. Though the screens really show an interesting game ahead.

Then why is it closed from the start and no red sign was flashing? Also I never found this location:

Was it cut out from the demo?

Anian

Just try and play from the begining
Spoiler
and after the alarm goes off and you go to the next room and jump over the chams on the first go. Then watch the cutscene.
[close]
As I said, I believe it'll be in the "full" game.

Igor Hardy

What alarm? There's no alarm.

mode7

Ascovel, you're not at the end of the game. It is possible to get through the first door with the computer console. There's just a puzzle, you havent solved yet ;)

Igor Hardy

Oh good. But some hint please. I think I already tried everything on everything.

mode7

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 13/05/2011 23:53:37
Oh, good. But some hint please. I think I already tried everything on everything.

Spoiler
Well, you have a iron rod...maybe you can use it to break something a few screens back with it
[close]

Igor Hardy

Thanks. Finished. Very nice ending... or should I say cliffhanger. Also, really loved that you show how unstable some of the rocks the hero stands on are.

Spoiler
Oh, and would be nice if in the full version there was some visible crack in that wall. I never even noticed there was an active hotspot there despite running through the cave several times.
[close]

SuperDre

The first thing I thought when I saw the screenshots: Another world.. LOL... looks amazing..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk