[MAGS] Concurrence

Started by mode7, Sat 07/05/2011 13:51:36

Previous topic - Next topic

mode7

About time that I post this here:

Concurrence

About the game
Concurrence is a so called cinematic platform game. Unlike other platform games you will know (like „Super Mario Bros.“ or „Sonic the Hedgehog“), this game focuses on realisitic movements, puzzles and a dense atmosphere. If you have played games like ‚Prince of Persia‘, ‚Another World‘ or ‚Flashback‘  you will know what awaits you. Many of parts of the game will require precise jumping and you might feel a little frustrated at the beginning. But don‘t despair,  study the movements described in this manual and keep on practicing and you will find that it isn‘t so hard after all (you also have unlimited continues). This version was done for the april 2011 Monthly Adventure Game Studio Competition (MAGS) and does not feature the full game. It‘s more of a demo. The finished version will follow sometime 2011.  ptp88 composed a great soundtrack for the game.
- Have fun playing

Story
My blood was beating against my skull as the blazing sunlight and the piercing screams of the bird-like creatures give me a rough awakening from a dreamless sleep. I was wearing an astronaut suite, but my helmet was missing. The steaming pile of metal right next to me indicates that its some kind of vehicle and that it probably brought me here. Where was I?....Who was I? Who sent me here and for what reasons?
As looked to the sky, shielding my eyes from the bright sunlight, I suddenly realized that these questions had to wait. I had to get leave this place. Now. Time was running out for me. As I know today: In more than one sense....

Screens

Updates

- Improved loading/saving system
- Now with manual!!!!!

MAGS
If you liked the game, vote for us at MAGS

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?hfoli9x1w0jcizx

Zenger

Hi mode7, how are You?  ;D.....WOW  :o :o , this looks absolutely fantastic!!!!

Downloading  ;D

Chicky

Is that Thom Yorke?  :=

Looks really awesome!

Anian

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 07/05/2011 14:26:55

Looks really awesome!
+1 to the question and comment.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Zenger

Arggggg  >:(, I have reached a point where I can't continue and I don't know what I'm doing wrong  :-[

Spoiler
I'm in the screen where a door is closing and a red sign is flashing. I jump the hole while running but I'm never able to go through the door, no matter how fast I do the operation. I've tried keep running after jumping and also getting close to the door and then crouch and roll, and, although visually I should be able to pass because there is enough room I can't

Am I doing something wrong?
[close]

Matti

I'm having the same problem as Zenger, it really seems impossibe.

ddq

Quote from: anian on Sat 07/05/2011 14:35:34
Quote from: Chicky on Sat 07/05/2011 14:26:55

Looks really awesome!
+1 to the question and comment.
My thoughts exactly. Gonna check this one out, looks spiffy.

Stupot

I'm at the same bit as Zenger and Matti.
Lovely game though.  The controls are a bit fiddly, but I'm enojoying this one... apart from being stuck  :(

[update]
I've had to quit....  
Spoiler
My clock was down to 5 minutes, so I decided to keep running left while my clock ran down (did you know you can just keep running left?  You can't see your character but you can hear his footsteps.

Anyway, the clock ran down, and nothing happened... it just went into minus numbers.
[close]
I'm starting to think it was all a prank...  :-\

mode7

Quote from: Zenger on Sat 07/05/2011 14:59:10
Arggggg  >:(, I have reached a point where I can't continue and I don't know what I'm doing wrong  :-[

Spoiler
I'm in the screen where a door is closing and a red sign is flashing. I jump the hole while running but I'm never able to go through the door, no matter how fast I do the operation. I've tried keep running after jumping and also getting close to the door and then crouch and roll, and, although visually I should be able to pass because there is enough room I can't

[close]

Well I just tried it again and it worked right away. Just jump the gap and keep on running.

EDIT: Did you try this version or the one from the mags thread. This one is easier

Anian

Yeah, I also couldn't get past that door, when I tried ducking in front of it, my character wouldn't pass even though visally there was lots of clearance.
Further more I quit and started the game again only to recieve this error:
Code: ags

An error has occured...(regular error text about how it isn't AGS's fault)
(ACI version 3.20.1110)

in "room9.asc", line 5
from "room9.asc", line 9

Error: Error running function 'room_AfterFadeIn':
Error: Script appears to be hung (a while loop ran 150001 times). The problem may be in a calling function;check the call stack. 

I see there's a 1.2 version now, I'll try that.
EDIT: yeah, the error doesn't appear now, but still can't get through that door.
EDIT2: it's seems that the problem is you have to do it on your first run in that room, if you die or don't make it on the first try you can't pass it...weird

mode7

Thanks for the bug report, ill look into that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

IMPORTANT REQUEST

If you had particular trouble at an certain area (like the door) or if you even stoped playing because of frustration. Please tell me so I can improve it and i'd be very happy if you even have improvement suggestions.

Zenger

Quote from: mode7 on Sat 07/05/2011 19:49:07
Quote from: Zenger on Sat 07/05/2011 14:59:10

Spoiler

[close]

Well I just tried it again and it worked right away. Just jump the gap and keep on running.

EDIT: Did you try this version or the one from the mags thread. This one is easier

Hi, I've used the link You have posted here

I've been doing some tests and I think I found the problem

Once the door reaches the point when You couldn't pass, You cannot pass through the door never again even if You die and try again correctly. It sounds to me that the room is not being reset correctly when You die, at least the part/flag that signals the door as close/not walkable because

-If you enter the room for the first time and You do it correcty You can pass through the door

-If you enter the room and die as many times as You like, but always before the door reaches the point when You couldn't pass, and then You try again and do it right You can pass trough the door

-Once the door is closed/reaches the point of not passing, no matter what You do, even if the door is still closing and you have enough room to pass through the door, the character can't pass never again

Anyway, I didn't like what was behind that door  :P...  not a bit ;D

I really liked the game a lot mode7, it's fantastic, amazing work... more please?  ;D :P

Kind regards

PS: opps sorry anian, when I wrote this post I didn't realize of your edit2, so I'm repeating the same thing You said

Sephiroth

I didn't notice the bug with the door until I restart the game, that's quite annoying because the savegame is automatically set to this room so you have to start over.

The game is awesome, I liked the intro, although the eyes of the main character seemed strange, maybe due to the distortion it looks like the entire eye was moving, not just the eyeball. The giant birds and all tiny animations in the backgrounds are cool.

Stunning graphics and atmosphere, the music/ambiant sounds fit the theme well. Of course how could anyone miss the so obvious reference to Another World, how nostalgic...

I have to say I stopped playing because of frustration 2 times, but it was mainly because I couldn't find the controls. And I'm not telling you how many times I stopped playing Another World because of real frustration  :P

Just one thing I didn't like is the fact the player can't jump right away, you have to wait for the character to finish the walking animation (like 2 steps) before you can jump so I ended up hitting the up key repeatedly while running.

Thanks for the great game!

Dave Gilbert

Mode7, this is extremely good.  I was surprised to see a game like this being made in AGS, as usually AGS isn't very good for platformers due to it not being very responsive.  But it worked well for this game.  The entire thing was very involving and atmospheric from start to finish.  And a great ending that definitely leaves me hungering for a full version!  Very well done. 

My only nitpick, if I have one, is that the walkable point of the platforms seem to end a step or two before they feel natural.  I always felt like I could take an extra step to get to the very edge of a platform, but my guy would fall off.

Ilyich

Beautiful stuff! Very close in feel to the Delphine's games, which is great. Maybe even a bit too similar. But still - very well done! Great atmosphere, graphics and the controls are surprisingly adequate. Thom Yorke creeped me out a little (get it, huh, huh? ;D ), but hey, he should be a protagonist in more games, he's awesome! :)

And the manual is quite cool too. Hope to see more of this!

Monsieur OUXX

These design, atmospehere and sounds are SO COOL.

Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World Another World

EDIT: And Flashback's gameplay. The best of each world, it seems (even though the controls are a bit inaccurate here)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 09/05/2011 12:27:36
My only nitpick, if I have one, is that the walkable point of the platforms seem to end a step or two before they feel natural.

+1

EDIT: I came accross what I believe is a bug: In the screen where there is a blinking large red screen, a large hole and some sort of door on the right, I managed to go "past" the door. I don't know if it's meant to be "open" at first, but I just walked past it by "insisting" (propbably by luck). I didn't have to perform any fancy action to do so, like using an object or whatever.
Then the character is hidden by the walkbehind of the door, but cannot change screen. He's stuck. You can't see him anymore and when you press the inventory key nothing happens (but the game is not entirely frozen, as the red alarm keeps blinking)

EDIT2: I restarted the game and retried. That time everything went fine.
I have no idea how I went past the door the first time, because it seems I performed the right sequence of actions the very first time, by luck, without even knowing what I was doing. I'm even wondering if the door was actually slowly closing the time I encountered the bug (the contrast on my screen is awful, I might have missed that). The point is that the cutscene never started after I walked past the door, even though, as I said, the game didn't get frozen per-say.

There is another issue in that room: You can exit it from the left, and the character cann walk away indefinitely, but the room doesn't change.

Anian

+1 for the walkable areas/character taking another step before jumping. The fact that some jumping actually needs to be taken from a step back from the edge or you overjump is fine, since it requires to percieve how a character acts, but falling of edges, even though they're clearly there gets anoying pretty fast.

I realize it's time limited and animations and backgrounds look brlliant though. In any case, I see there's lots more coming that is not included in the Mags edition, so if there's just a bit more play testing for the full version, it would make the game awesome.

theo

I love the intro and character movement, visually.

This type of gameplay though, makes me want to pee blood and break my keyboard in two pieces. At least you have the good sense of not forcing the player to re-do ten rooms every time the player dies, that is definitely a design choice I appreciate.

I too think this type of gameplay requires exact precision regarding where the player perceives an edge to be. With this tweaked, you'll have solid gameplay. Good job!

WHAM

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk