Background Blitz - Haunted Hotel (May 17-31, 2011) WINNER!

Started by oraxon, Tue 17/05/2011 02:29:58

Previous topic - Next topic

oraxon

Topic: A haunted hotel.

Exterior or interior. Any time, place, or genre. It can be comic. Just has to be haunted.

If you want to include human...or...non-human characters, that's great, but voting will be based on the background alone.

Technical restrictions: AGS compatible.

Voting: Starts June 1st unless someone wants an extension. Good luck!

vertigoaddict

To be completely honest I hate this background of mine, but I saw no one had entered and I felt perhaps I could help get it moving.

Haunted hotel interior, bloody footsteps lead underneath the bed Ooooh scawy...

size, basic 320x240

NB: This is my first time using a tablet to make a barckground in photoshop- I got frustrated.

oraxon

vertigoaddict, you rock. Thank you for posting and keeping this Blitz going. Congrats on your first tablet-photoshop background!
Good idea with the footprints. I would not stay in that hotel room unless the price was very reasonable.

Sam.

I have something in the works. reserving a space i suppose!
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

WHAM

I'm already working on some haunted backgrounds, so participating in this would be some great practice. I'll start working on a BG today.
Will a motel do?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Creed Malay

didn't have much time, but had an idea so had a go. :)

Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

oraxon

Quote from: Zooty...reserving a space i suppose!
Your reservation has been accepted, Zooty. Please enjoy your stay at the Haunted Hotel.  :)

Quote from: WHAMWill a motel do?
Absolutely, WHAM. I am already terrified.

Great job, Creed Malay! Awesome idea, colors, lighting...did...did that TV just take a step forward? Did you guys see that? Ok, I'm starting to freak out.

Alan v.Drake

I saw this in one of my dreams, I figured it would suit the purpose.

- Alan

Hudders

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Tue 24/05/2011 22:17:03
I saw this in one of my dreams, I figured it would suit the purpose.

- Alan

That's creepy.

I get the feeling that if that happened in my house I'd just ignore it and walk on the other side of the staircase though.

oraxon

Whoa. Superb entry, Alan. If that's how you dream, I do NOT want to see your nightmares.

Update: am now unable to leave my room for fear of hall hands. Thanks a lot.

WHAM

Progress is slow, but it's there. Since two of the entries are animated so far, I thought of adding a little animated element myself. Let's see how it works. I'm hoping to be able to post my pic on saturady.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

arj0n

Alan, that's a great entry.

Reminded me of a comic of Don Lawrence; Storm - City of Doomed:

Vukul

Haunted Hotel, the true nature of which only shows itself in complete darkness...
(unfortunately, didn't have enough time and/or skill to portray it just as it should look like)

Mockup: Jane entering the hotel out from the street, soaked by the rain... (examines 'prices & services' poster)

WHAM

"Look honey, I think we can stay here!"

"You sure? I don't like the look of that place..."

"Oh come on, at least its not abandoned like that last place, look, someone's watching TV up there."

"Did you see that?"

"What?"

I have to admit I used a reference pic. I wasn't sure if this is acceptable or not, so I decided to mention it. The original pic is here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/3053712722_c59566b444.jpg

Didn't quite get it done as well as I would have liked, but I got some new inspiration to work on an actual game, so I'm still pleased.  :)

gameboy

Tried something too.

After getting lost in the woods Joey and his friends finally found a place to spend the night. But it turns out there are strange things going on in the old building. Step into the shoes of Joey, Zack and Emily and uncover the dark secret of the hotel, solve mysterious puzzles and get out alive!

oraxon

Jackpot today, thanks everyone! ;D

ArjOn - cool link, though it's not helping me with my new pathological fear of hands.

Vukul - nice attention to detail. Intrigued by the little ghost-thing in box 19. Looking forward to a mockup, if you have time!

WHAM - worth the wait! Glad it inspired a game. Thanks for pointing to the reference. It's totally acceptable to me - maybe some won't vote for it in the Composition category, but that's up to them. The way you used it is original.

gameboy - beautiful. Great colors & composition. I am drawn irresistibly toward the hotel even though it fills me with dread. Quietly terrifying.

vertigoaddict

I thought it should be alright to use a reference image, nothing was said about it in the rules?

Neil Dnuma

edit. Some cleanup.

Ilyich

Wow, a lot of awesome entries this time! I especially like Alan V. Drake's and Neil Dnuma's entries, great job, guys!

oraxon

vertigoaddict - We're completely agreed. Nothing against reference in the rules. I'm a big fan of reference. In fact, here's the flickr pic that became this competition's illustration at the top: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christianmontone/4483056012/   

Neil Dnuma - Awesome entry. A pleasant hotel, and yet those creepy dead trees that look like grasping hands...this vacation won't end well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk