Rise from the Abyss

Started by Barbarian, Sun 22/05/2011 22:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

Hi guys.

I wanted to share an old project I was working on, "The Elevator - Rise from the Abyss"

This is a much improved, and expanded upon follow-up game based on the concept of my short "The Elevator" project.

Though this game is in-complete and I don't think I'll ever bother to fully finish it, I did spend a fair amount of time and work on it and thought it would be a shame if no one ever got to see it. There's still probably around 30 - 40 minutes of playtime to be had from it though. I guess in a way you can think of this as a type of "Demo" for a game that might-have-been.  ;)

You can probably consider this game "Over" when:
Spoiler
you encounter the zombie that chases after you.
[close]

** Warning: "The Elevator - Rise From The Abyss" is a Horror-Adventure meant for adult players and may contain scenes of violence, gore, nudity, sex, profanity, etc... so, play at your discretion.

Download the "Rise from the Abyss" game from this link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=download&game=548&mirror=1

The game controls are fairly easy to use. You have a top control-GUI when moving your pointer towards the top. Standard options such-as Walk, Talk, Look, Interact, Inventory, Save, Load and Exit are there.

You can also use your mouse scroll-wheel to cycle through the pointer-control options (walk, talk, look and interact).
For alternative movement controls, you can use the arrow-keys on your keyboard.
To toggle the "Health-GUI" on or off, press H.

For changing any of the game's options, such as resolution-size, windowed or full-screen, etc.. run the "winsetup.exe" from the same folder as the game's executable "T_E_R.exe" file.

It's all fairly standard stuff. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out easy enough.

*Note: Yes, I did "borrow" the graphics from other sources for these projects (Such as the Silent-Hill, Half-Life, Obscure games), which was supposed to be "place-holder" graphics (and in reflecting on it, I probably shouldn't have). This game was just a free non-profit fan-made project I put together for fun in my spare time.  

I hope people that play it will still enjoy it as it is.
Cheers!  :)

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

LRH

I'll have to give anything horror related a shot! :D

I'll let you know how it goes.

Barbarian

Quote from: Domithan on Mon 23/05/2011 03:27:39
I'll have to give anything horror related a shot! :D

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cool. Hope you have fun with it as it is despite it's "incompleteness".
Well, I think it could be a nice little diversion for people who like horror-adventure type games.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

JRock

Heh!  :D I remember you telling us about this game loooong ago!  Always wanted to give it a go!  Finished or not, it looks cool!  Will post after I play through.

Barbarian

Quote from: JRock on Mon 23/05/2011 23:03:44
Heh!  :D I remember you telling us about this game loooong ago!  Always wanted to give it a go!  Finished or not, it looks cool!  Will post after I play through.

Hiya JRock. Nice to see you here.  :)  Yeah, I haven't been around AGS in a long while and just came back to the forums here a couple days ago.
This was one of the last projects I was working on, but then life kinda got in the way, and I got side-tracked by other things.  

I think I'd rather start on a whole new project rather than working on this old one anymore for various reasons. Still, I thought it would be a good idea to share this project with you guys, as I recall there was quite a bit of interest in it and I did put in quite a bit of work on it.

Anyways, I hope you'll still enjoy it for what it is. I'd be interested to get's people's thoughts on it.

JRock

OH WOW!  That was awesome!  Very good indeed!  Scared the crap out of me!  You did an amazing job on this! A great survival-horror adventure! Reminded me of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. I was kind of sad that it ended abruptly  ;D, but it was still kick-ass and I would have LOVED to see you finish it, but I understand.  With a busy life sometimes its hard to make room for AGS.  I salute you!  You make a great adventure game and finished or not, you did a great job on this! BRAVO!!

Barbarian

JRock: Thanks for the nice comments. Glad you enjoyed it and that it "scared the crap" out of you  ;D
And yes, this game was somewhat of a homage to the "Silent Hill" and "Resident Evil" games.

But, I'd like to make a whole new survival-horror-adventure-game, that would have all new concept / story, and with using "legit" graphics.  ;)

I've got some other things on the go, and you're right, sometimes it's hard to fit in working on projects like this.  But, perhaps I will dive into AGS again to make some new adventure games in the future. My creative side longs to do it.

Or, who knows, I may be able to team-up with someone on a project too.

Thanks again for trying this project and for your kind feedback.
Cheers!

JRock

Quote from: Barbarian on Tue 24/05/2011 00:56:48
My creative side longs to do it.
Totally agree!  I get that urge alot.  I actually started working on Stan Ames 2 a while back, but with work and family it was just too hard to fit it in, so I let it go.  I definately want to get back into it, but I know it takes dedication, time, and motivation. Back when I made Stan Ames 1, I remember putting hours a day into the project and I know that theres no way I could do that now (at least not with 10 hour workdays and 4 little ones  ;D)  I will always have a passion for making games and hope that maybe someday I will get back into it.  Whoops! Enough about me lol.  I wish you nothing but the best of luck in your game-making endeavors Barbarian.  You've got talent and zombies always make everything better  ;)

Take care!

Cogliostro

Barbarian -

This game *really* showed promise, you managed to pull off great atmosphere, graphics, and sound.

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

Armageddon

Isn't that screen shot from the end of Half-Life 2 in the citadel? I make mods for Half-Life 2 and have even made my own maps for adventure games. I'd suggest learning to make your own.

Barbarian

JRock: Yep, will, we gotta take care of other more important priorities and responsibilities in life sometimes (especially as we get older). But still, I do hope to get back into making some Adventure-games again at some point. Hope you'll be able to as well when / if you get the chance again.

Cog: Thanks for the comments. Nice to see some people are enjoying the game as it is.

Arma: Yep. Thanks' for your kind suggestion that I "make my own", and for telling me about how you make your own maps for adventure games. 
And I intend to do that when/if I ever get back into making adventure-games again.  As I noted on the games page for it, "* Yes, I did "borrow" the graphics from other sources for these projects (Such as the Silent-Hill, Half-Life, Obscure games), which was supposed to be "place-holder" graphics (and in reflecting on it, I probably shouldn't have). The games were just free non-profit projects I put together for fun.".  

RetroJay

Barbarian... You bastard. ;D

I played your game and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I ran around for hours trying to kill that F*****G zombie.
It was only when I read your spoiler that I realised I had been wasting my time. ::)

However... it was time well spent. :D

You need to finish this game cos I thought it was great.

Jay.

JRock

Quote from: RetroJay on Fri 27/05/2011 02:06:34
You need to finish this game cos I thought it was great.

AGREED!   ;D

Barbarian

RetroJay:  Yes, a bastard I am  ;D

Sorry I didn't have a defined "ending" for this project as it now stands. I did have a lot more things I wanted to add to this game. And I was going to have it so the Player character would be able to fight some of the the zombies he would encounter (or, in some cases, rather than a "direct fight" the Player could find alternative ways to either defeat or get around the zombies safely). I had quite a bit more of the story planned out too, and of course there was to be a lot of good 'ol Adventure gaming in there as well.

But, alas, the project is now I think already over 5 years now since I last worked on it, and though I didn't like to leave it incomplete like it is, if I'm going to get back into making Adventure-games again, I think I'd rather start fresh on a whole new Adventure game now.  I'd still like to make a good survival-horror-adventure like this.  

Still, I wanted to share this project with other adventure-gaming fans as I thought it would be a waste if no one else ever got to see this (even in it's incomplete state) and thought that some people could appreciate the time and effort I put into it.  Plus, after getting a taste of this little project, perhaps it might churn up interest and support from more people in perhaps wanting to see me make more survival-horror adventure-games like this (though with fresh story, ideas, art, puzzles, challenges, etc...) in future.

JRock: Thanks again for your interest and support. Well, who knows, if I did decide to complete this particular story, I'd want to still start it "fresh" though in many ways. Ya never know, I could be persuaded to continue this story if there was enough interest! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk