Help needed: How much can I sell this computer for?

Started by Snake, Sat 28/05/2011 14:47:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

It's yard sale day. Yay.

Gonna cut to the chase since time is of the essence. How much can we sell our computer for:

Purchased back in '04 I think...
Dell Dimension 2400 series
Intel Celeron 2.40GHz
512mb of RAM
NVIDIA GeFORCE 8400 video card (purchased a couple years ago)

The keyboard and mouse are still operable, but the monitor has a defect. Here are a couple pictures:

I am now installing Ubuntu Linux on it since I can't find my Win98 cd and the WinXP installation that I installed on it last night I am unsure whether or not it's going to be able to be registered after the 30 days - wouldn't want that to happen :P

We're not expecting big bucks or anything, but a reasonable price would be nice (please ignore the unintentional rhyme).
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Calin Leafshade

Very little.

If you get £50 ($80) for it I would be surprised.

Snake

I wouldn't expect over a hundred anyway, Calin, thanks. I was thinking probably $50 or $60, but was unsure.

Calin Leafshade

With a busted monitor I would think that $40-50 would be reasonable.

Stupot

I wonder if you might make more money from it by taking out the processor, video card and everything, and seeing how much you could get for them separately (especially if you use ebay, and added a cheeky quid or two onto the p&p ;))

Snake

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 28/05/2011 16:31:04
I wonder if you might make more money from it by taking out the processor, video card and everything, and seeing how much you could get for them separately (especially if you use ebay, and added a cheeky quid or two onto the p&p ;))
I did think of that as well. Day One of the sale is over and it is still here, but there were quite a few people who looked at it. I'm willing to bet that it's Linux that is putting them off... not knowing what it is and all. There was one old lady that showed up and said she might be back to take a look at it, and that was before it was ready to go out.

But yeah, Stupot, I think that's what we might do if it is not sold by tomorrow evening. There's a computer store around here that I may call and see if they'd be interested. I've got a few other things such as dead HDD's, CD-ROMs and cables they could use or recycle. I've got a horrible habit of hording everything computer related I come across (as well as audio/video cables, etc, and game related items).

And it always seems that as soon as I get rid of something I've kept for years, I need it sometime afterwards ::)

Domino

What happened to the monitor, that would drive me insane looking at that.

When I read this thread earlier this morning, i would guess about 100$ for it.

Domino

RickJ

Put edbuntu on it and give it to your daughter.   She will especially like  gcompris.

Sreenies here..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk