Rufus story

Started by BlueAngel, Sun 24/04/2011 12:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueAngel

Story:
"Long time ago, when dinosaurs roam the world and your parents where young there lived a little hairy man called Rufus.
When the weather suddenly toke a cold windy turn he decided that enough was enough and crawling into his cave with a warm mammoth blanket and a large supply of beer.
Then one morning boredom and the urge to pee drew him to take a peek outside and he found out that the world had gone warm again so he went for a walk and found out that he was on a... island?!?
And then this story begins..."

Game:
You play as Rufus a newly defrosted caveman who has woken up on a desert island. Now he’s trying to find out where he’s friends are and how to survive.

This is my third game on AGS and the first to make the download page, I hope you like it and don’t find too many bugs.  ;D

(The game is called Rufus after a cartoon my father used to draw for us when we were small, my brother and I)

Download here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1423

Khris

I'm unable to run this.

winsetup.exe works fine (and all it does is call "BlueAngel_4.exe --setup") so not sure what's happening here, but whenever I try to run the game itself, via the exe or winsetup, I get:

Quote---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
---------------------------
You must create and save a game first in the AGS Editor before you can use this engine.

If you have just downloaded AGS, you are probably running the wrong executable.
Run AGSEditor.exe to launch the editor.

(Unable to find 'D:\path_to_game\Rufus_story\BlueAngel_4.exe')

D: is on an internal hard drive and I'm running every other game from the same path without problems.

Rebuilding all files should fix this.

BlueAngel

:'(
Could you please try again?
This has never happen before, dont know what I did wrong.
I have packed it again and checked from another computer and it is working now, alest here.

Rufus_1.1.rar

gameboy

It works well for me.  I'm giving it a try. :)

LimpingFish

Yep, I had the same problem as Khris.

Works fine now. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

BlueAngel

Thanks for trying it out again!  :D

BlueAngel

So sorry for bumping my own thread but I have a humble request.

Could someone who downloaded and played my little game give me some feedback if you got the time, please?
I right now making new one (not about Rufus, a all new one) and would love to hear how to improve on my game making.
Was the bugs that I haven’t found, was it too boring or too hard?
All comments are greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Khris

I gave this another shot, here's my two cents:

The game suffers from some minor and some major flaws. First of all, walking is painfully slow. The auto-map is a great relief, so this isn't a big issue.
The next problem is much worse: I can't do anything during the night! I didn't even notice that at first, but it seems like you're using a Character or Object to darken the screen and it is clickable! This seems to be deliberate but it's annoying as hell that you can't even leave the room!
A lot of times, relatively big hotspots cover the ground. As soon as I accidentally click on one of those in GoTo mode, the character does nothing. This is very irritating because it feels like the game ignores half of your clicks.
The GUI buttons on the white box at the top suffer from a similar problem; clicking the green box doesn't work half the time, I have to aim for the pixels making up the button's text.
The other GUI has text on the verb buttons which is great because otherwise I'd have no idea what at least half of those verbs were.

Regarding the actual gameplay, when I first saw the belly meter, I immediately thought "great, you can die in this game and I'm going to do it a lot before figuring out what and how to eat". I didn't get that far though.
The boar did absolutely nothing when I stood right at the cave entrance, I couldn't enter the cave though. I used a coconut on it and it killed me without any further comment.

In conclusion, this could be a charming & funny game, "newly defrosted caveman" alone makes me chuckle every time I read it. It suffers from some severe gameplay flaws though.

BlueAngel

First of all thank you for taking the time to play and comment, I really appreciate that.  :D

I thought it looked wrong with higher speed walking but that is easy to change. The night thing was intended but I can see it being annoying. I could change room at night time by clicking the hotspot(on the frame, not inside the room) but maybe that isn’t working for anyone else.

To get into the cave you have to
Spoiler

You have to stand far to the right side and throw a stone at the jungle on the left side. The Boar will leave and you can enter the cave.
[close]
I probably didn’t make that puzzle too clear, have to look at it again and you shouldn’t die just change room. Probably you had too low food in your belly and that’s why you died. Still it needs work I can see.

I have used object too much I think, I need to look into Graphic overlay or something like that for the effect instead. I also should put something in walk mode it sounds like, I look into that too.
:-[
I’m not sure of what gui you mean here tho:
The GUI buttons on the white box at the top suffer from a similar problem; clicking the green box doesn't work half the time, I have to aim for the pixels making up the button's text.
Is it the function gui?
Anyway thanks again and I will try to address some of those problem.
:)

BlueAngel

Hi again.
I have increased the walking speed and change some “walk to” hotspots.

I was going to decrease the nighttime but then I thought if this is putting people off playing the game it’s no good so I have made the night unclickable, meaning you can do everything even at nighttime.
New file uploaded.
:)

Also change download site as some people didn’t like the one I had it on. Hope this works better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk