Sprite jam - Release Something related (Winner Announced!)

Started by Wreck, Fri 17/06/2011 11:17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Wreck

Mr. 304 posted in the general forum a fantastic thread to get people to showcase bits and bobs they are working on, if you haven't read it yet go check it out:

Link to the thread of many awesome things

In fact even if you have read it before, go read it again, it's worth it :)

Anyway this gave me an idea for the new sprite jam, seeing as that thread is so inspiring:

1) Select a peice of work and author from that thread and create a sprite inspired by that persons project, so a character that would fit with the setting of that persons background / music / video etc. If it is an epic space background then perhaps the sprite would be a dashing space hero for example.

2) Sprite must be AGS compatible.

3) Put a link with your entry to the post in the Release something thread so we can see exactly who and what has inspired your sprite.

4) If at all possible keep the sprite drawn seperately from the original authors work (i.e. if they have created a background, just post a link back to the original work, don't put your sprite directly into their picture).

Obviously some of the works posted there you will have to use your own imagination to guess some of the setting and genre as backstories are not always present but that's half the fun of it.

Hope I have the timing right on this, I believe these competitions run for 2 weeks or so.

Have fun :)

Sughly

Wow, awesome Sprite comp idea. I'll have to have a go at this if I find the time...

Mad

Quote from: Sughly on Fri 17/06/2011 13:49:07
Wow, awesome Sprite comp idea. I'll have to have a go at this if I find the time...
Seconded!

Name: Seven

To support her Ware habit, Seven has become an App Jock herself. Pushing illegal Apps that induce seratonin production, she is now on the books of the local syndicate. But unbeknownst to them, Seven is also an informant for the Ware Control Bureau, because the district agent that had caught her red handed on a sale is threatening the teen with cyber correction. In youth correction facilities, teenage convicts are hooked up to the Mindframe, where they are detoxed, but also made servile. After the correction the youths are put into life long commuity service. Seven is currently trying to save the nectars she is not burning on Apps to be able to pay an independent hack, who promised to hook her up to his ripped Mindframe. For 5000 nectars and a week in the frame, she'll either be clean or catatonic, probably both. But Seven sees no other way, but to take that risk...

The sprite is for this background.

Edit:

Quote from: E304 on Fri 17/06/2011 21:19:12
Haha oh man, you should totally help me with sprites on the game :P

That's awesome! (and some of the backstory almost fits happily in the game)

Wow, thanks a lot, I'll happily take that as a compliment! I'm a great admirer of your style and for that matter games.

Just to round things off:

Xerox, the Hack and Agent Doors from the WCB.

ThreeOhFour

Haha oh man, you should totally help me with sprites on the game :P

That's awesome! (and some of the backstory almost fits happily in the game)

Also, killer Jam topic! Excited to see what people come up with!

Wreck

Thats very cool Mad, love the backstory to go with the character!

Now the good news is you are currently sitting in First place in the competition, however being the only entry it also means you are in last place. So either good work, or 'must try harder' depending on if you are a glass half-full / half-empty kind of person :)

What this means in practice however is More entries people .... get busy with the pixels!

Tabata

Since I love the idea for this competition, I couldn't resist, even if I couldn't reach the quality, I am hunting for  ::) (may be next year or so I will be better in drawing stuff like this  ;)).
I tried a character only with one colour and since it could be animated, it should work in AGS, too.

It's meant to be a female, sitting at the tree of this wonderful bg from Chicky and the entry is to be found over here. It's up to your imagination, who she might be and  why she seems to be waiting for something to happen or someone arriving ...

I show a second version with a dark background-colour because it's hard to realise it  with the forums background:

Note:
Please tell me, if something doesn't fit to the rules â€" If so, I am sorry and will delete this post of course.

Wreck

Looks Cool Tabata, I think you are being a bit hard on yourself as I think it's very good :)

Fits perfectly in the rules as well, so no deleting the post for you! In this instance it makes sense to show it on the dark background as well as it shows up so light on the forum background colour.

Tabata

Thank you for the kind words!
...and since I am at the very beginning of my „career“:  You made my day!

Ghost

IMPRESSIVE ghost sprite, Tabby! Jaw dropped all the way!

[dips]This space reserved for future hauting[/dips]

This tree by TIER looks ideal for a somewhat creepy, fantasy forest. And you know what things do with creepy trees? Creeping'round on them.

Name: Wisp

Cobolds are carefree and mischievous, but occasionally they adopt a tree, and become its guardian. They develop a sense of duty, and will go all the way when they see danger for their tree. And Wisp just overheard that some foul Baron's planning to build a road right through her tree, just so that carriages can bring him sweet rolls every morning.
No way.

It really works best when seen ON the actual tree, so if you allow:

Wreck

Nice Ghost :)

Yeah I probably should have said, if it is a background then I have no problem people posting stuff on it as well, it's just nice to be able to see the sprite on it's own as well for clarity :)

Last day of the competition folks, I'll leave it open today to see if we get any more entries
then announce the winner tomorrow morning when I crawl out of bed :P

æ

I really enjoyed Head over Heels! So I'd like to post something fun about Sheepquest.

Wonkyth

Heh, that's awesome!
It makes me think of the old B&W slapstick comedies!
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Wreck

Right the difficult bit for me, picking a winner! Firstly let me say awesome entries to all, really enjoyed seeing what you all came up with.

Trophies are bee's on spires to go with the competition title, which is the best idea I could come up with while hung-over this morning hehe.

So without further ramblings:

4th place: Amélie
Really nice animation there, made me laugh a lot. It would have placed higher I think if the sprites started as your own rather than taken from the original work itself, but still nice work :)

3rd place: Tabata

Love the ghostly quality to the girl and fits with the background very nicely too. I think the way you have used the highlighting and the slight transparency to the figure really work well, not an easy thing to get right. Good one :)

2nd place: Mad

Really nicely captured 304s style and a great backstory to go with it to. I loved the choice of colours on Sevens suit as well. Sadly you may have created a load of work for yourself by having to do a load of sprites for Mr. 304 as a result of this though hehe.

1st place:Ghost

Creepy-thin skittering thing is creepy. I can't now walk near trees, tree cobolds will get me, so thanks for that! Fits really well with the style of the background and I love the way it appears to be looking out for the threats to the base of it's tree home. Very nice work :)

So once again thanks all for the great entries and well done to Ghost for winning, next competition is yours matey :)

Ghost

Yay, thankies! The quality all round was pretty high, by the way, so congrats to everyone too!
Will start a new round soon, look out for it!

Tabata

Hey, hey, - I think, that I could get used at so much praise  ;D
It was really fun with this great topic and now the offer of such cute trophies (and one's mine now )
Thank you Wreck!

Congratulations Ghost and Mad

cat

Awesome entry, Amélie! This motivates me to continue the game. Also, you made some nice improvements to the sprites. Would you mind if I use some of it for the game?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk