Adventure: All in the Game

Started by Akril15, Mon 13/06/2011 00:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Akril15

There are characters like me in every game genre -- characters that were going to appear in a game, but had it unexpectedly cancelled. Some of them hang around their own game, hoping that another company will complete it someday. Others spend their time hanging out in other games, which they can visit with ease. Then there are the ones like me who decide to dedicate their time to keeping this particular little genre running smoothly.

My name is Thalia James. I'm an agent of the 2D Third-Person Adventure branch of the Computer Game Maintenance Squad.

There are many agents in this part of the CGMS, and some of their assignments have turned into adventures of a scale almost as large as an actual adventure game.

And this is just one such adventure...

------------------

The sequel to Adventure: The Inside Job has been completed! I've attempted to make improvements on the weaker points of the original, tried a few new things with AGS, but mostly I just tried to get through this project with my sanity reasonably intact. Like the original, however, it's intended to be a homage to the many adventure games of yesterday, be they popular or obscure, and I hope it is well-received.

------------------

Look forward to these features:
-A new and improved game navigation system
-Modest dialogue trees
-Highlighting cursors -- always know when your mouse is over a clickable hotspot
-A "Touch" cursor in the inventory window (yes, I've finally figured out how to make it work)
-Audible footsteps
-A more cohesive GUI design scheme
-Short-range teleportation -- hold down the spacebar and click the walk cursor where you want the protagonist to go, and she will "teleport" to that location, or at least to the nearest walkable area (Why did I include this feature? Because I couldn't get a walk speed slider to work to my satisfaction.)
-An Adventure Game Expertise setting! There are lots of references to both well-known and obscure adventure games in Adventure: All in the Game. If you aren't getting most of the references, simply lower this setting and they'll be explained for you.

------------------

Visit the game's website
(which includes a walkthrough, behind-the-scenes info for when you've completed the game, as well as some potentially useful code which I felt like sharing.)

SpacePirateCaine

Congratulations on finishing, Akril! I really enjoyed "The Inside Job" when I played it a few years ago, and it's great to see a proper sequel and proper respects paid to all those games that just never happened. I'll be playing through it and I'll comment on the game as soon as I'm done.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

agentbauer

Congratulations on finishing, Akril.
Its a real masterpiece, and I also love the very first scene 8)

Will you do a third Adventure adventure?
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

arj0n

Khris

This was a great and funny game, it's a bit short but given the amount of work that went into this it's more than long enough :)
The animations were very well done, not just in the cutscenes but throughout the game.

Overall an outstanding job!

Igor Hardy

Congrats Akril! Now Adventure is not just a game, but a whole series!

dbuske

I love it.  Playing through it.
It is hard to make a real long game.
It takes so long.  One real needs a team to do a big game.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Akril15

Thanks a lot, everyone! I'm glad that you've enjoyed the game, and I appreciate the positive feedback.

Though I don't currently have any definite plans for a third game, I'm certainly open to the possibility.

TomatoesInTheHead

I'm playing it at the moment, it's great so far! :)

Got an error/crash though, when
Spoiler
I used the scanner on the door in the room with the chloroform jar knocked over
[close]
It reads:
Quotein "GlobalScript.asc", line 965
from "room13.asc", line 230

Error: FaceObject: invalid object specified

arj0n

Darn,
Spoiler
this one has been found by other doors during beta-testing but this one must have slipped through... Sorry Akril....
[close]

Scorpio82

Just hopped in to make sure Akril's game is getting the love it deserves.  My head's still reeling from having finished it earlier tonight.  Masterpiece is as good a word as any for it.  This game rocked.

Akril15

Quote from: TomatosInTheHead on Tue 14/06/2011 14:15:22
I'm playing it at the moment, it's great so far! :)

Got an error/crash though, when
Spoiler
I used the scanner on the door in the room with the chloroform jar knocked over
[close]
It reads:
Quotein "GlobalScript.asc", line 965
from "room13.asc", line 230

Error: FaceObject: invalid object specified
Oops -- thanks for pointing that out. I'll be sure to fix it when I get the chance. (And don't worry about it, Arj0n. You spotted just about every other mistake I made in this game.)

helios123

This is great news!! Adventure: The Inside Job was a superbly made game, and I'm sure this one is going to be better.

Downloading now. Screen shots look nice, by the way.
That's all for now,
helios123

Cyrus

Just completed it. The whole game structure reminded me a little of Laura Bow (those rooms where you can talk to different characters and learn valuable info from them), and I particularly enjoyed the parts with the multiple paths. I hope you'll include more of this in your next project, whether it would be Adventure 3 or an original game.

ZapZap

I've just completed your two games,  they're incredibly original. Loved them
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

helios123

Just finished the game. Liked it immensely. The knowledge level setting really helped, as I have not played any of the old adventure games (yet).

Quote from: agentbauer on Mon 13/06/2011 17:41:36
Will you do a third Adventure adventure?
+1 from me as well.

I hate to be somewhat of a spoilsport but I did find some probable bugs. Please see below (I downloaded the game from the mediafire link):
In the Toonstruck room, if you interact (use the hand icon) on the scenery in the background (i.e. the hills in the distance), the game crashes with
Error: prepare_script: error -18 (no such function in script) trying to run 'hHotspot1_Interact' (Room 28)

Also experienced the below:
Spoiler

The marker did not appear near the doors in the Toonstruck room (as mentioned in the walkthrough) even after Thalia talks all the options with Sledge and shows him the coin.

I finally took the Bingo Dauber route.
[close]
That's all for now,
helios123

arj0n

Quote from: helios123 on Mon 20/06/2011 18:26:01
I hate to be somewhat of a spoilsport but I did find some probable bugs. Please see below (I downloaded the game from the mediafire link):
In the Toonstruck room, if you interact (use the hand icon) on the scenery in the background (i.e. the hills in the distance), the game crashes with
Error: prepare_script: error -18 (no such function in script) trying to run 'hHotspot1_Interact' (Room 28)
This bug did occur at more spots while testing and almost all of them have been fixed although this one seemed to have slipped through the test round... *Darn*  ;)
Good catch.

Quote from: helios123 on Mon 20/06/2011 18:26:01
Also experienced the below:
Spoiler

The marker did not appear near the doors in the Toonstruck room (as mentioned in the walkthrough) even after Thalia talks all the options with Sledge and shows him the coin.

I finally took the Bingo Dauber route.
[close]
Did you
Spoiler

answered "yes" when the old man asks you if you are infected?
[close]
If so then this bug is known and reported already.  :)

david

just finished you sequel, and it was fantastic :)  ;D
have played the first one also just before the sequel
you rock man  ;D

two minor things or bugs:

Spoiler
in the room with that giant monkey (the strange name quappo or something and then Sledge comes to help you, so when you wait a little the time alone and then open your inventory and toy with the items a little bit, then after a while the cursor changes to a clock (as always), but you cannot do anything with it, cannot close the inv or returnn to the game
the second is in the crane, where you eagerly want to find the code, so the character's sprite changes to some very strange sprites
[close]

Akril15

*Sigh*...and just last night I uploaded a new version of the game with all the bugs mentioned so far fixed.

Still, thanks for reporting those problems, david. I can fix the first bug you reported, but your second problem seems very vague and no one else has reported it, so I'm not sure if I can fix that one.

david

Quote from: Akril15 on Wed 22/06/2011 18:50:02
Still, thanks for reporting those problems, david. I can fix the first bug you reported, but your second problem seems very vague and no one else has reported it, so I'm not sure if I can fix that one.

to be exact: it happens when you click on the both side walls inside the crane or on the floor etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk